What's new

what is this insect?? pics

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
The plants are perfect these spiders seem to dislike plants

I think if antennas are front legs, so it is a spider mite or .....¿?

There are many different kinds of mites. Many live in soil. Some are predatory and won't hurt plants. Let us know how this works out in the end.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
The first bug looks like the young stage of springtails. They usually show up when you have healthy soil and live off decomposing organic matter. They don't hurt the plants but are hard to get rid of.

The second bug is indeed a mite species. hypoapsis etc. I've had them present in my garden for a year hunting down and controlling any fungus gnats that might come in with new soil. They get called a root aphid incorrectly since they are usually present (along with gnats) in RA out breaks.

Smiley

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
That front pair of appendages are quite long. In your original photos they are turned backwards in an antenna-ish way, but your newer photos show them in a position you'd expect for front legs. If they're legs then it looks like this critter has eight legs total, so it's not an insect. Probably something in the Arachnid group, spiders, ticks, mites. They are also lacking the three segmented bodies of insects. I think it's some kind of mite. There are lots of different kinds of mites. Many are not harmful to your plants. Some businesses sell predatory mites for organic growers. The long front legs might be an adaptation for grasping prey. If the clones were purchased then these could be beneficial mites which were introduced to help control pests. I've seen sites which sell them having photos.

Whoa, just googled mite images. Think I'll wash my pillow cases.

The first bug looks like the young stage of springtails. They usually show up when you have healthy soil and live off decomposing organic matter. They don't hurt the plants but are hard to get rid of.

The second bug is indeed a mite species. hypoapsis etc. I've had them present in my garden for a year hunting down and controlling any fungus gnats that might come in with new soil. They get called a root aphid incorrectly since they are usually present (along with gnats) in RA out breaks.

Smiley

I think you are both right. It's too bad he shit canned em. Just because a critter is scopin out your plants doesn't mean he is up to no good.

1154002-l.jpg

h

Tuhder

These look just like Amblyseius Cucumeris except for the "Teardrop" shaped body. Cabroness pictures show a distinctly different body shape than Amblyseius Cucumeris. Maybe their some sort of sub species of Amblyseius Cucumeris or just young and not fully developed yet.

Latest posts

Latest posts