What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what is the thesis of recirculating the nutrients

mexweed

Veteran
I would venture a guess that having the flow of airstoned water running over the roots is good for them, and you have a single reservoir to tend that feeds a number of plants

armedoldhippy

Veteran
short-term, shouldn't be a problem. long-term, they will get out of balance in all likelihood due to unequal upload rates of different compounds. damn near all i have read say this, but i have no proof myself. i toss everything once a week in my DWC when running. works for me...

Dnzl

Bubblers work ok for keeping nutes mixed and solution airated but recirculating the solution keep a constant mix!

It seems like when you have a LARGE inner bucket filled with Hydroton/Expanded Clay i.e. L.E.C.A. recirculating makes a lot of sense, no? I mean the ROot Mass that forms in my Power Grower inner Bucket is some times or often larger than the roots coming out? Unlike a small net cup where all the Roots are OUT side of the Holding area?

bs0

Is recirculating nutrients still a good practice or what benefit is there
Recirc will work for a while, your plants aren't 100% efficient with nutrient uptake. Sometimes you can go weeks without needing to do more than top-off w/ proper strength solution... But eventually your plants will suck up enough discrete nutrients that the water becomes deficient, and your ppm meter won't tell you the imbalance.. Ppm meter only says TDS.

Back when I was lazier I'd run for 30 days at a stretch without drain/refill rez. Some phenos will have no issue, but some won't. Now with my recirc racks I drain and refill every 2 weeks. With that schedule it works great for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts