What's new

What is the purpose of THC to marijuana plants?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Wouldn't understanding this process lead to better harvests?

Could it be that it provides the plant with protection against ultraviolet radiation ?

In a controlled experiment, high quality marijuana plants were grown under identical conditions, except that some were provided with UV light while others didn't receive it. The buds from plants receiving the UVB light had higher percentages of THC.

UV Lighting T5 Aquarium Bulbs

http://www.eyesolarlux.com/solar-simulation-uv-lighting.htm

http://www.reptileuv.com/

Metal Halide UVB EB kits in research and soon to be released!

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/mega-ray-narrow-flood-report.htm

~@~

So, does anyone know if it would benefit the final flowering stage by including these lights during the last few weeks ?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I always speculated that it was a defense mechanism. I'd like to know more about this as well.

Yes, I imagine that if we understood the defense mechanism that produces THC, we could then supply an environment that could stimulate higher production of THC.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I don't think it's that simple or proven, but you may be on to something.
Sunblock for the babies to protect their genes. Maybe it's sticky so birds
and animals get the seeds stuck on them, and transport them.
If it is sunblock, wouldn't just enough be enough? Why put more energy into
resin production, when you can put it into seeds?

Or possiblly a reaction to insect attack?

or both?

Evidence says UVB does play a part so yes

I am in the process of installing some cfl 26W Repti glo and a 250 W cfl blue as well

Install some and see for yourself, be careful though uvb is ionising radiation and does nasty things to human DNA. Protect your eyes and use common sense

Good luck with your grow

Owl Mirror

Veteran
YES I do believe caution should be administered when using these lights for growing purposes.
Especially if you sit in your flower room as much as I do :>}

kannabisativa

THC is the plants natural sunscreen against UV rays.
Yes, using a UV lamp for up to 1-4 hours a day(no more, will kill the plant) will help tricome production = more potent bud.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
THC is the plants natural sunscreen against UV rays.
Yes, using a UV lamp for up to 1-4 hours a day(no more, will kill the plant) will help tricome production = more potent bud.

Would you recommend doing this the last hours of each night?
Would it be of benefit to use this lighting throughout the life of the plant or only nearing the end of the flowering cycle ?

Would one tube be enough or would it need to be intense enough to flood the room?

Hi Owl

From what i can gather it seems best results come from about 8 to 10 hours per day for the last 2 weeks but that would be strain dependant and varies on type of light used also

I am trying 10 to 11 hours but also using in veg with repti glo 26W about 10cm above plants till i find out how they react to them

Trying to see how nature does it and when a plant is ripe it is not when uv rays are strongest at Midsummer

Experiment and find out what works best for your strains and enviroment

Once again please be careful and cover up and ALWAYS PROTECT EYES (sorry for shouiting but cannot stress enough about protection from nasty uv rays).

Budley Doright

Veteran
Bug repellant.... many plants produce toxins to protect their flowers.....

uv doesnt make much sense.... why produce sun block after the plant has already been thru the most intense sun....

Cannabis use wind pollination.... insects are icky......

Q

quest

It (THC),helps create a symbiotic relationship with cannabis and man. Man cultivates the plant for THC, insuring (in a sane world) the species (cannabis) survival.

Z

Zeinth

Wouldn't understanding this process lead to better harvests?

Could it be that it provides the plant with protection against ultraviolet radiation ?

UV Lighting T5 Aquarium Bulbs

http://www.eyesolarlux.com/solar-simulation-uv-lighting.htm

http://www.reptileuv.com/

Metal Halide UVB EB kits in research and soon to be released!

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/mega-ray-narrow-flood-report.htm

~@~

So, does anyone know if it would benefit the final flowering stage by including these lights during the last few weeks ?

CLICK ON THIS LINK..

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=141572&highlight=sagebrush

I also know there are terpanoids in cannabis..look at a bug spray can..ie..raid and some other bug sprays..they have terpanoids in them as well..

tricombs..produce cannabinoids..increasing tricombs is a part of this complex puzzel...both genotype and phenotype are intereacting to produce tricomb production.

i have 3 m.t. f clones..the smaller stressed clone is showing tricombs...on the leaves..the other clones are not..

hardly any n nitrogen for the stressed clone..weird huh?

attachment.php

Attachments

• k 005.jpg
    k 005.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 10
  • k 007.jpg
    k 007.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11

kannabisativa

Hi Owl

From what i can gather it seems best results come from about 8 to 10 hours per day for the last 2 weeks but that would be strain dependant and varies on type of light used also

I am trying 10 to 11 hours but also using in veg with repti glo 26W about 10cm above plants till i find out how they react to them

Trying to see how nature does it and when a plant is ripe it is not when uv rays are strongest at Midsummer

Experiment and find out what works best for your strains and enviroment

Once again please be careful and cover up and ALWAYS PROTECT EYES (sorry for shouiting but cannot stress enough about protection from nasty uv rays).
listen to him, he seems to know more about this subject then me.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Bug repellant.... many plants produce toxins to protect their flowers.....
uv doesnt make much sense.... why produce sun block after the plant has already been thru the most intense sun....

Cannabis use wind pollination.... insects are icky......

If this were the reason, would it make sense that adding a strong breeze to the flower room would increase the THC production ?
Or would it be the opposite? Still air, leading to more THC production to compensate for no wind ?

Something tells me this is the question we all need answered. Understanding what influences a higher THC production would only benefit every grower around the world.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hi Owl

Experiment and find out what works best for your strains and environment

Once again please be careful and cover up and ALWAYS PROTECT EYES (sorry for shouting but cannot stress enough about protection from nasty uv rays).

I'm guessing you are using the UV lighting as a supplemental source?
What amount and type of lighting are you using, both to flower and the supplemented UV rays ?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
It (THC),helps create a symbiotic relationship with cannabis and man. Man cultivates the plant for THC, insuring (in a sane world) the species (cannabis) survival.

By George, I think you've got it !

The Tree of Life

In the center of the Garden temple Van planted the long-guarded tree of life, whose leaves were for the “healing of the nations,” and whose fruit had so long sustained him on earth.
Van well knew that Adam and Eve would also be dependent on this gift of Edentia for their life maintenance after they once appeared on Earth in material form.

:dunno:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After growing out some landraces was suprised at how low the trichome coverage is on most plants , makes me wonder if UV protection is the prime reason.

Placeing balls of resin above the leaf surface offers little protection when they are sparse and the energy cost to the plant is large.

Often see as many trichs underneath the leaves as on the top surface which seems illogical for protection from above , by the time they appear the amount of UV is falling below any dangerous level.

Two thirds or more of total thc plant content is spread through most plant tissue , the seed covers under a scope show no more trichs than nearbye leaflets and the seeds themselves contain no THC thank god.

Some of the less complex precursors of thc are better UV blockers themselves and thought natural selection would stop there if that were the only reason.

Salvia is similar in placeing psichoactives in trichome like structures above the leaves for no obvious reason and probably harder to understand.

I see the origin of THC as an arms race between predators/infections from when canna became a seperate species , slightly more complex and exotic chems from natural mutations maintaining some plant wide protection against evolving pests and pathogens.

Hi Owl

I have just started to add some moreuvb to the flowering room, more to add to the veg also.

I have only read about this from here and other forums so this is a new experiment for me also, any advice from others is gratefully received

From what i have learned so far is that uvb changes CBD into THC so best results from that would be late in flower when trichromes are visable.

I have a far out idea that maybe some strong uv light ( not sure of exact wavelengths yet) might help trigger some gene to become active and help produce more trichromes later in plant life. I could also be so wrong and just stoned stupid. Maybe effect sativa's more than indica's but who knows?

I also am becoming more and more into the theory that it's primary plant use is as a insect repellant as Burnt Rope says. Maybe also as some primative mold/drought protection also?

Not sure how this affects indica/sativa types but more experiments in the future.

I use a 600W HPS for most flowering, use a 4700k MH for last ten days or so. For uvb supplements i use the 26W repti glo CFL lights. I string them along a bungee cord so i have them about 10cm above the plant. I also am adding blue 250W CFL light as well, sure blue light plays a part as well in all this photochemistry

Still building the set up and far from perfect but it is up and running in the flowering area.
I try to follow what the sun does, no/low levels when light come on and gradually lower bungee down closer to plants to increase uvb to about 'midday' then raise bungee cord and let levels of uvb gradually drop until lights off.
Possible at weekends but when at work!!!

I am a complete novice when it comes to this so any advice/ ideas on how to improve this ,then lets hear them please.

Once again, protect eyes and cover up when using uv light.

Be safe but have fun and good luck with your experiment, find out what works for your strains and enviroment. Keep us all posted

Was hoping **mistress** might pipe in with some ideas also. Interesting ideas about party lights imitating dusk light. Food for thought there also