What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the "Official" Way to Weigh Weed?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
What is the "Official" Way to Weigh Weed? is the name of this thread. I would like to know if there's any 'official' way to weigh your yield. Wet weight? Dry weight? How much of the plant does one weigh? Just flower, or with stem and all?

When I see some the yield weights on ICMAG, I wonder if some people are including the bucket they grew in when they weigh their plants. Personally, I don't record the weight until it's cured and just buds and shake, no stems or stalks or roots.

You have to weigh it in a Dream Team McDonalds cup 1/4 p at a time.

I've measured wet, stems, fresh, cured, shake. Conclusion is that weight has always been a stupid metric for cannabis. I can weight the lb less, trim it worse, or charge more. Trying to get people to grasp options like that is impossible. Don't ever weigh a 30 gram ounce to make up for stems, the crackheads buying it will think something is fishy.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Depends, cops cut it wet as close to the ground as possible and weigh the lot. Then put a price on it sold in grams. Like you can sell a gram of stem.

For numbers, I weigh the trimmed dry buds in jars. Best ever was 1.1 gpw. Typical 0.7 - 0.8 gpw. Using LEDs.

I too wonder at some of the results being quoted. I think some people leave their thumb on the scale.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Dried and cured buds only imho. I keep trim separate for hash making but I never bother weighing it.

I have kept honest records so that I can improve . . . in theory anyway. :rasta:

results-feb2023.jpg

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Rule of thumb is wet weight times 0.25, as in if your wet yield is 100 g, likely dried yield is
100 x 0.25, or 25g.

I've seen Dr Greenbuds plants that were decent, but I doubt his plants in flower were
yielding 15g dry, to yield 15g dried those plants he pictured would need to be around
60 grams wet, or 2.14 oz wet weight, that's a lot of green for a 16 oz pot.

I don't think his single cola plants were that heavy.

I grow micro, and weigh my yield after a couple weeks in the jar,
average 6g per sog style plant in 16oz cups, dried.

Good tread!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts