What's new

What is the least amount of dark hours to keep 99% of plants in flower?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
12 hrs of darkness is not common in nature. especially not a consistent 12hrs for 8-12 wks.... most plants in nature flower under 9 - 9 1/2 hrs of lite....

very simple to turn back the timer :30 min every day, or every other day. the reproductive organs should appear around 8 1/2 -9 1/2hrs of dark.

not all plants' flowering is initiated @ the same tyme - even if the same genotype. each cultivar is different.....

hi :tiphat:

i would agree that consistent 12hrs dark is not common in nature, the trend during flowering - for cannabis at least - is that dark hours are increasing as the plant flowers.

in the test you prescribe, flowering would also be influenced by decreasing rootspace as the test went on. as mothers become potbound in my mum cab, under 24hrs light (albeit weak t5's) they start to flower pretty convincingly. almost smokable nugs on some strains.

maybe not in hydro :D but other factors would still influence - like age of plant (even from clone) imo

VG

spurr

Veteran
mistress,

I try to read your posts, but I have a very hard time reading them. Your formatting is a major eye sore, you might get more responses if you used normal formatting and paragraph and sentence structure. Try to use at least 3 sentences per paragraph, once sentence does not a paragraph make.

Also, using so much 'short hand' makes your posts very hard to read, at least to me. You make very heavy use of "@" and periods (i.e. "..................."), and italics, etc. If you could cut back on all that your posts would be much easier to read, and more people might pay attention to them.

I am not trying to be rude, or pick on you, it's only that I try to read your posts and after the first sentence or two I stop. I simply can't read them and make sense of them at the same time.

One other request: can you please properly cite your references? At least when posting in this sub-forum? You often copy/paste from your references but you do not cite them, nor give the URL, nor title, author, etc. Thus we can't judge the value of the reference because we can't see it for ourselves in full text.

TIA! :)

imadoofus

Veteran
there was a HUGE debate regarding this on OG years ago, conclusion was to accomodate almost all strains, 10 hours of darkness is all they need to flower. and yes sir, the extra hours of light are culmative for final weight.

say, 14/10 light schedule during flower equates into, lets use a 70 day strain, 140 more hours of light the plants receive vs a normal 12/12 regimen.

that equates into almost 6 1/2 FULL DAYS more of light, or, bout 13 more days at 12/12.
only negative is the shorter the dark period, the longer they take to finish as your diminishing the flowering hormone to barely effective levels. but, your also adding substantially more weight to the end product. im curious about the extra light hours affecting yeild, have to do a side-by-side.

so many experiements, so little time!

zenoonez

Veteran
A plant can adapt if it has the genetic mechanisms to allow it to. If a plant is genotypic to flower in 12 hrs or 9.5 hrs sure it can, however if it does not contain the genetic coding to allow this to happen it will not.

spurr

Veteran
Wow this is an interesting thread!

Maybe so, but it lacks the very thing this sub-forum was made for: scientific proof and references. Opinion based upon conjecture and anecdotal evidence and hearsay and hypothesis is fine, but IMO it has little place in this sub-forum.

I have been collecting references I have on this topic, and I will try to post some info and studies in the next few days. I hope others will do the same...

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I guess you guys missed the part where I said photosynthesis dramatically decreases after 6hrs.

Why would you go 21 hrs? That's 15hrs of dramatically decreased photosynthesis with no time for the plant to cycle the sugars during dark period.

Ok really stoned here, but it seems like if the strain was good enough to recover in 8 then and 8on 8 off 8 on would get me there much quicker than 12/12.

This thought of improved productivity is very VERY interesting.

:joint:

microgram

I've seen flowering commence at 16-14, any outdoor grower will tell you that it takes a shortening of day light to prompt flowering. but if you kept it at 14, it would be a different story. Most plants would probably start vegging again at some point. 12 is the known sweet-spot. stick with it :)

zenoonez

Veteran
which organisms have genetic codes that do not adapt?

even the earth itself is continually adapting..............

there are some flowers that require a long gestation period, or other organisms that hibernate, some that have brief lyfe cycles, some trees are 5,ooo yrs old..........

most annuals (genetic annuals) have a very short window (w/in 1 yr) to go thru its entire process. so, maybe it is easier to manipulate that, w/in that shorter window..........

the question is.................

clone-of-clone......
can a plant be forced to decrease its flowering trigger from, maybe 12hrs to 9hrs..... over the span of maybe 2-3yrs of clone-of-clone cycles?

or, for that matter, to only 8hrs.... dark......

if that is what it got over several generations....... it may be forced to flower earlier.......

re-veg mum.......
or................ re-vegging the mum, over & over, & contining to decrease the dark hrs over ea cycle.........

maybe both would be able to be influenced by lite alone..... w/ option 2 being more of a direct approach, by conditioning the Female mum, over 2-3, 4-5 re-veg cycles..............

You are missing my point. If the plant is not coded genetically for a specific adaptation it cannot and will not exhibit that adaptation. If a plant is coded to be able to adapt photoperiod it can but just because it does contain that code and you adapted it to flower in 8 hrs of darkness doesn't mean that it can flower in 5 hours of darkness. The point I am making is that adaptation is not a change in genetics but rather is simply a different phenotypic expression of the genetics already present in the plant.

RulaTone

Veteran
Sorry I did'nt read all the thread but i can report here some interesting info's i found in a Rosenthal book (dont remember wich)
I remember he was talking about "critical light-time" intended as the maximum amount of light-time that a plant can receive without regretting in vegetative state.

To understand this critical point you have to put your genetics in an outside garden, and watch nature do her course. Using some internet program you can exactly know how much hours of light you have at your latitude. So you will note at what light regime your plant start to flower. Then just remmove one hour to be safe. This is the critical light-time that your plant own in it's genetics.
I found different strains that would continue flower even at 14 hours of light. Meaning 2 hours more of light for the 70 days of flowering state, are a total of 140 hours of more light ...this can increase yeld!

Then he treated another very interesting argument, to raise light hours without regretting in veg state.
Using particular infrared lightning that he switch ON during the very first and very last hours of flowering, This stimulate a particular receptor making the plant believe she is in autumn even with more light hours than the usual 12. So she will flower with more light and again this can increase yeld.
Hope this will help.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
from my observations of outdoor early flowering genetics. they flower so soon after solstice i would hypothesize that they are responding as much to the fact that the nights are getting sorter as to the actual length of the night period.

---

.... why would you desire root-bound mums? root-circling & plants becoming root bound is very preventable..... in micro gardens, or tree gardens..... old mums, veg, late flower, etc....

hi missy, root bound mums are not what i desire, but within the time and space constraints of my garden they are a reality. i tend to root-prune and repot every 6 months, but low light conditions and genetics also have a role in them wanting to flower.
here are 5 original haze micro-mums (and 1 dad) - only a few months old and still happy :dance013:
picture.php

Andyo

Veteran
short day plants measure nights

short day plants measure nights

Short day plants measure nights ,no causative temperature effect.
Soi guess 12 hrs night 24 hrs day would be quiet somthing .A

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Maybe so, but it lacks the very thing this sub-forum was made for: scientific proof and references. Opinion based upon conjecture and anecdotal evidence and hearsay and hypothesis is fine, but IMO it has little place in this sub-forum.

I have been collecting references I have on this topic, and I will try to post some info and studies in the next few days. I hope others will do the same...

The proof is my anecdotal evidence. I understand what your saying, but nothing short of a webcam to monitor my activities would suffice as 'proof'. I dont plan on setting up a webcam.

I also wonder where a thread like this, that demonstrates the basic tenets of the hypothesis, would be better received. Most grows 'set it and forget it' when it comes to 12/12, as a result, they assume you need 12 hours of darkness.

This thread began in the growers forum, and was buried within a few hours. It also has a breeder in the 3rd post saying 12 hours is correct. He is incorrect. If he was correct, i could not do what ive been doing for months and months.

Understanding and utilizing concepts to our advantage is IMHO the purpose of this forum. Parroting what is the 'norm', and stating it as fact, only buries the truth and stifles ingenuity and innovation. (Especially relevant given the access to digital timers now vs 10-15 years ago).

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shroom dr would you agree that there is going to be a significant difference between having your room lights on (so that you can see the plants) and having the actual grow lights in the tent - re influencing the length of the dark period.

and given that your initial question is 'what is the least amount of dark hours to keep 99% of plants in flower' i would still maintain that it is 12hours. given that many tropical sativas actually require more than 12 hours darkness to flower.

interesting topic though. i would like to see you see how far you could push some strains and what influence it had on the overall flowering time.

VG

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Looking for gene lines that tend to display different light sensitivities would be germane to this discussion i think also. It might not be a matter of 99%, but more so what the lineage of a plant is that will play a greater role in it's flowering response.

Interesting thread for sure. It would be refreshing to see if someone could show demonstrable and repeatable results in terms of possible yield increase or total days required for maturation.

Latest posts

Latest posts