What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Dabpress does ship some presses from the USA but 3 days from China is fast!

Liking the look/price of the 6 ton(bottle jack style) package deal.

Maybe an early X mas present for Mr and Ms Hold Your Fire...:chin:

Bobby Boucher

So, pricing isn't all that different. A decent press is $400 or so.

I know some people who press a second time. I never get shit on a second press so I stopped bothering. I use my 'pucks' for edibles. There is definitely plenty of oil left on a puck after you press it. You can even see it shine on the surface. I use a bagful of pucks and a cup of butter to make caramels for my friends.

Same difference. You could use half as much solvent, butter or otherwise, to cover your pucks if you dusted them up in a food processor first. They dust up nicely with most of the sticky gone.

So regardless of which method you use for a first less economical wash, press, or shake, a second solvent rinse is easy and economical enough if the volume of the starting material is reduced down as far as possible.

In my experience, it's just too big a pain in the ass to reprocess everything otherwise.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Dabpress does ship some presses from the USA but 3 days from China is fast!

Liking the look/price of the 6 ton(bottle jack style) package deal.

Maybe an early X mas present for Mr and Ms Hold Your Fire...
chin.gif

I have the 3 ton 3x3 setup and I totally love it. I press 2 gram pucks in that. I also have their 4x7 caged setup that I used with a 12 ton shop press. When I moved I sold the press so I use the little 3 ton all-in-one unit. I am totally pleased with it.

I know a bunch of people that swear by the 10 ton with the separate pump. Personally, I never got any better yield from my 12 ton setup than I do with my little 3 ton unit. It's not about how much pressure you can apply. It's about technique. And, that 10 ton setup with the separate pump just takes up more room.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Same difference. You could use half as much solvent, butter or otherwise, to cover your pucks if you dusted them up in a food processor first. They dust up nicely with most of the sticky gone.

So regardless of which method you use for a first less economical wash, press, or shake, a second solvent rinse is easy and economical enough if the volume of the starting material is reduced down as far as possible.

In my experience, it's just too big a pain in the ass to reprocess everything otherwise.

I did do a couple QWET runs on pucks and it worked really well. I have been meaning to try that again but the ethanol is $20 a fifth at the State Store. And, I have to get it black market if I want the 190 proof. My back ass fuck state only allows 151 proof, max.

Bobby Boucher

Pulverize it all down and you can fit a whole lb into a "medium" sized drink cup and reduce the amount of solvent you use by like.. 70%

I have a nice rigid one from the local hotdog joint with a vent hole I drilled out of the bottom that I keep plugged with a rubber stopper. I fill with qwet mixture, tightly rubberband a couple coffee filters over the top, flip it over, unplug the vent hole and allow it all to drain. I'll try to "push" the remaining out with a bit of positive pressure from the ol' windpipes over a separate dish, expecting a possible blowout, but I've never incurred one on the primary pour.

But lately I've just been doing a 30-40 minute butane soak in the closed column with the pulverized material and throwing the shit out. Easier than fuckin around with ^^^ all that shit. The savings of using a cheaper solvent is negligible when I'm hardly using any to begin with. I still use that stupid cork cup for all sorts of filtering projects, though.

Used it earlier to filter the bacon bits out of the bacon grease I've been collecting all week.

I've missed my buchner since I broke it, but I don't really like having all that lab equipment around. All my dab equipment fits up behind the drywall, where I keep it.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
My fav is cold sift in tumbler or screen/bag,than bubblebags and or coconut / butter..Didn't like iso ,but good shine from culinary solutions in Maine kicks ass..Yeehaw..Made a gollon of some serious shine a bit back..They got 190 an up