What's new

What is it like buying weed in a Recreational Store?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I live in Seattle and marijuana enforcement by police has never been a high priority here. Long before it was legal cops would normally not charge you for anything unless they were just pricks or you were doing something else they don't like and they wanted to just stack charges on you.

So in Washington State weed is legal for recreation now. Anyone can come to Washington and get some weed, as long as they the age of consent (21 anos).

I think we could add dispensaries to this thread as well. Until just recently the dispensaries in Washington state were wild. Like for instance this Marketplace in Seattle. There were Large Jars of bud Everywhere, scores of folding tables. Everywhere you look there is a table piled up with buds, hash, oils, edibles and glass. The first time you seen one of those I imagine you would be in shock. And your first time in the market you were given a sticker to wear that said you were a "new member". Every vendor (scores of them) would give you free samples. My first time there I walked out with over an ounce of bud of 30 varieties, kiff and hash. I loved that place and it was walking distance from my house. Those kinds of places are not around anymore though. They have been wiped out a year last July. The sneaky, tax hungry Washington State legislature voted behind our backs to limit a lot of the great benefits of being a patient and shut down hundreds of unlicensed stores so that it would drive the price up and make paying a lot at a recreational store not seem so bad. I remember seeing council members on TV saying all the med patients were scammers trying to get around the tax laws. We still have a medical program but it has been made smaller and they have cut the benefits substantially. Fewer people even qualify now, and there are no doctors that just give med cards or advertise that they give med cards. You have to find a doctor that believes in the MMJ program blindly now.

Now I am not medical anymore, just too much trouble get renewed. I really should do it again, because there are benefits. However, I do hit the recreational stores. So much different than the dispensaries as the idea is getting high and not medicated. (Personally loath the term medicated)

So what are they like inside?

First, they all have a big bouncer kind of guy at the door checking ID. If you look 50 they still require ID

It is still a cash business so no checks, or cards for purchases. They all seem to have ATM at the front of the store so that you can get some cash for your purchase.

Inside you will sometimes see menus or reader boards. Lots of variety and frankly everything is very good.

However... It is rather expensive. Like $55 for a eighth of good stuff. That is a bit of a shock I am not used to.

Another thing, it is a bit of a high pressure sales business. Most of the places I have been in have nice looking people that suggest a lot of things as you are trying to get out. They offer things like pre-rolled joints.

I got some nice bubble hash for $28 a gram.

I know I know this is a weed growing site and this is too expensive. But the parking lots are always full and the lines are sort of long. Especially on Friday or Saturday night. It was slow to start, but it caught on. A lot of people of all ages go in there (all ages over 21)

Lets hear about your take on dispensaries or stores where you live. I gave my opinion of Seattle and surrounding areas, but there are stores all across the state I have yet to see. And you have Colorado, Oregon and Alaska to explore. I have not been to any stores in those states yet myself.

Oh yeah, it seems all the stores offer sales and specials.

picture.php

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

What do you pay for an eighth on the black market there?

Well it all depends on who you know of course. Another thing worth mentioning is that your first time in a shop, you're sure its a setup and that the cops are lurking somewhere waiting to jump out at you. It seems oddly weird or something like that.

huligun

Veteran
What do you pay for an eighth on the black market there?

As PDX states, it does depend on your contacts. When I was growing I would give my friends an eighth for free as I really didn't like the idea of selling and they always wanted some.

But... there has been a standard in Washington state for some time of about $30 for close to top shelf and $20-$25 for upper level mids. The reason I say close to top shelf is that the stuff in the stores is better. It is better than what people use to think was top shelf around here. The buds in the stores are always beautiful and generally pungent. There are some sativas here that are not all glorious to look at, but that is just the nature of a pure sativa. If I see a fat smelling crystallize pure sativa I call bullshit.

The stores all state the percentage of cannabinoids and other things. It is a pretty good deal. In my opinion, if you can't or don't want to grow, and money is not a real problem go to the stores to buy. If you are someone that needs to have a lot of it around and quantity is more important than quality I would suggest getting a med card and going to a dispensary as they are generally fairly reliable and decent quality. Prices are closer to black market. And lastly buy from a person.

All this is based on you not already knowing someone that sells top shelf on the black market.

huligun

Veteran
Well it all depends on who you know of course. Another thing worth mentioning is that your first time in a shop, you're sure its a setup and that the cops are lurking somewhere waiting to jump out at you. It seems oddly weird or something like that.

When I was first medical the dispensaries that I seen were sort of serious and clinical. Most of them were anyway.

Then at some point this Marketplace opened up in two locations; White Center and Rainier Beach, both places generally in the bad areas of Seattle.

Those markets were incredible. Large jars, several gallons in size, full of bud, piles of hash laying out, piles of BHO and other oils. Often a vendor would offer to let you hit some right there or in back of the store in the alley. Myself, I was usually driving and was afraid of getting pulled over coming out of there and would never get high at the market.

And these markets, it was just a big building that a guy owned. He would rent you floor space for $250 a day and he had at least 20 vendors on an average day at White center and at least double that at Rainier Beach.

So as you say, when I first went in I was in complete shock. I just knew that the place was operating very close to the law or less, and it was dangerous to be there. I always thought that one day I would see the police or DEA bust the place, taking all in sundry to jail. And the smell... You could smell the place 200 feet away. It was great time and I always knew eventually it would not last. It was not licensed in the least.

Now it is different. Seattle and Washington in general closed all those fun places. All the dispensaries that still exist are those that were extremely serious and clinical in nature. The fun places now are the weed stores, where nice and hip looking people charm you into buying more than you can afford.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
In California since its medical and knowing about strains here since being a member since 2005 (Overgrow in 2001) and even growing the few strains that became wildly popular $25-$35 for an 1/8th of very good high strains but I don't think it should be High but still around $10 gram,buy more,pay less.

$200 for an Ounce of still good high-med level strains.Sour diesel Did hit $800 in price but knowing where to look you can get it for $200.

For Example,Sour Diesel Has its unique taste and high.And it's renamed as something else at the Dispen,Sometimes the House strain.Rather than smoke a whole bunch of nothing,take the time to learn strains smoke report here is where I picked up some nice reports of some good strains and then even grew it myself then let the medical community take over.

When it's recreational,maybe they will put one gram each strain into one ounce bag.No longer have to follow medical protocol.

Like Baskin Robbins 31 Ice Cream Flavors out here...you get to pick your own grams and strains until you get to 1/8-1/4-3/4 sizes.Something I haven't seen yet because it's Medical in California.Maybe charging by the gram rather getting to the ounce in recreational.

Careful of buds missing it's trics..If it's cheap,it's probably Blew thru to get the wax.Just a shout Out

sdd420

Veteran
In California since its medical and knowing about strains here since being a member since 2005 (Overgrow in 2001) and even growing the few strains that became wildly popular $25-$35 for an 1/8th of very good high strains but I don't think it should be High but still around $10 gram,buy more,pay less.

$200 for an Ounce of still good high-med level strains.Sour diesel Did hit $800 in price but knowing where to look you can get it for $200.

For Example,Sour Diesel Has its unique taste and high.And it's renamed as something else at the Dispen,Sometimes the House strain.Rather than smoke a whole bunch of nothing,take the time to learn strains smoke report here is where I picked up some nice reports of some good strains and then even grew it myself then let the medical community take over

When it's recreational,maybe they will put one gram each strain into one ounce bag.No longer have to follow medical protocol.

Like Baskin Robbins 31 Ice Cream Flavors out here...you get to pick your own grams and strains until you get to 1/8-1/4-3/4 sizes.Something I haven't seen yet because it's Medical in California.Maybe charging by the gram rather getting to the ounce in recreational.

Careful of buds missing it's trics..If it's cheap,it's probably Blew thru to get the wax.Just a shout Out

Best medical dispensary I have been to was 10 a gram. They had 20-30 strains that were Good to very good. So popular that they got raided of course. Now I spend 45-55 an eighth for the best stuff and 30-40 for the decent stuff including outdoor.

soundman

I rarely buy at a rec shop. I do know a buyer for one and he turns me on to only true top shelf. So far only two vendors are what i call top shelf. Right now I have Platinum OG from Aurum Farms. It is the only OG I have seen in WA that is what I am used to, being I am from Los Angeles and grew tons of real OG.

You have to shop around and walk out of lots of stores looking for the good stuff. i pay 45.00 / 8th or 150.00 / half. I do get 10% off of that for medical discount too.

I miss the old medical model,

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Timely thread.

I have been searching Leafly and whatnot for specific strains carried in the shops in Oregon,but it can be a tedious process.What would be nice is a strain search specific to Oregon,that way you could track down that special Chimera or Dj Short variety that you always wanted to try.

I'm excited to return to Oregon and spend a couple of days just visiting all the Rec shops.

huligun

Veteran
I rarely buy at a rec shop. I do know a buyer for one and he turns me on to only true top shelf. So far only two vendors are what i call top shelf. Right now I have Platinum OG from Aurum Farms. It is the only OG I have seen in WA that is what I am used to, being I am from Los Angeles and grew tons of real OG.

You have to shop around and walk out of lots of stores looking for the good stuff. i pay 45.00 / 8th or 150.00 / half. I do get 10% off of that for medical discount too.

I miss the old medical model,

Hello Soundman and thank you for your contribution to the thread.

I have been to a few different Rec shops in Washington. One or two near the Oregon border, a couple down town Seattle, one in Seatac and one in Spanaway. For convenience I have been shopping this store in Seatac (23407 International Blvd). Here is their site: http://greensiderec.com/#. I was there today and bought an eighth of Jack Herer that was marked $46 but it was a 20% off sale and got it for like $37. It is good weed, but awfully indica looking for Jack. The buds are frosty, fragrant and kind of big. A real sativa is not frosty like that, not that pungent and the buds are smaller. Still good weed though.

My wife wanted the Jack so she bought it against my advice not to. The weed is good though.

I bought a couple pre-rolled joints for $8 per two pack (two in a tube).

They play with numbers to get you to buy stuff, so the joints were only half a gram each. Most stores sell a pre-rolled that is an even gram.

The thing is, the pre-rolled are made from the natural shake in the jars. At that price they offered an Indica or a Sativa without a kind name.

If you pay more you get a gram joint that is a specific kind, like Skunk #1 or Black Widow.

Usually I don't get too caught up in the names because names really mean very little these days. Too much has happened to weed in the past 40 years and there is no real regulation in naming convention or even type for that matter (indica or sativa). Saying something is Hawaiin or Jack when it could be God knows what. You just have to buy with your eyes and nose and forget about the name.

So tell me, if you would Sound, where did you get that OG you say is real. I would love to pay them a visit myself.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Now it is different. Seattle and Washington in general closed all those fun places.

Having fun and using a substance that makes you feel good is against the law...Oh wait, now they'll let you, but you're gonna pay big for it...

Best medical dispensary I have been to was 10 a gram.

Even $10 a gram is disgusting....Fuckin' bastards want to regulate you, or put their hand deep in your pocket so you can have their "permission"...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Sorry for the bad language in my last comment...

Nothing gets me riled up more than politicians and thieves...

theJointedOne

Veteran
The title of this thread is somewhat confusing after reading the original post.

Rec stores suck, I lived in Seattle look last year. 90% of 'budtenders' were clueless. And the stores were obviously owned by folks doing a money grab, without much if any passion or experience with cannabis, except that it could make them $$.

huligun

Veteran
The Jointed I am sorry your experience was not good, but I have always gotten good weed. I don't trust the knowledge or credibility of anyone selling anything and basically use my own skills to find what I want. I have never been sorry with a purchase from a rec store. I am not happy about the cost, but the quality is definitely there.

Lrus007

Veteran
i tried 1 shop when it opened.
a hindu kush was $13 for a gram.
i took it home and not much smell.
so took 3-4 bong hit's and gave me
slight head pain. so i broke up bud looking at it.
that is when i noticed it was outdoor grown.
so my 1st buy legal. i got burned bad.....
Lrus007

huligun

Veteran
i tried 1 shop when it opened.
a hindu kush was $13 for a gram.
i took it home and not much smell.
so took 3-4 bong hit's and gave me
slight head pain. so i broke up bud looking at it.
that is when i noticed it was outdoor grown.
so my 1st buy legal. i got burned bad.....
Lrus007

I have seen outdoor grown... that guy with the sign on this thread of $10 grams... That was for outdoor.

So I never seen any sign of them trying to conceal the quality, thc percentage or where grown. You paid $13 for a gram, and that is a bit cheap. They had to have told you it was outdoor. I just cannot believe they would risk not telling you upfront. At any rate, look at the percentage of thc.

Lrus007

Veteran
was a smaller place. i have not gone to
seattle to look. i have enough of my own.
i just figured i would buy some since it was legal.
also all store said was this is one of our better ones.
live and learn.
Lrus007

huligun

Veteran
I still think it is trippy going to the store to buy weed. It is not even a dispensary (which is a bit trippy too, but for other reasons). Walk in, look at the menu and then look down in the glass case. You see eighths packed in bags or jars with popular names in catching packaging. Of course all the canabinoids are listed in percentages. You pick it out and buy it and still kind of think what you are doing is illegal. Indeed it is, federally, but I don't think the Obama administration gives a fuck. Pot smokers are proving to be a rather large lobby, and no politician wants to lose a lobby (The Gun Vote, the Gay Vote, the Christian Vote the old fucking stoner vote etc). Not sure what Trump would do, he is kind of out of control and in a bad way.

I do know that the Federal Government cannot fight weed smokers with the current resource loading. Back in the early days when prohibition just started in the states the Federal Government encouraged states to make state laws of prohibition so that they could share the enforcement with local municipalities. The whole thing just snowballed from the war on drugs with Nixon and the war on drugs with Reagan. You can blame the latter for current pee-test drug screening.

At the rate that states are going medical and then recreational, it is like when gambling had became legal. A lot of money comes from that larger voter lobby so politicians have two reasons not to fuck with weed smokers.

soundman

Hello Soundman and thank you for your contribution to the thread.

I have been to a few different Rec shops in Washington. One or two near the Oregon border, a couple down town Seattle, one in Seatac and one in Spanaway. For convenience I have been shopping this store in Seatac (23407 International Blvd). Here is their site: http://greensiderec.com/#. I was there today and bought an eighth of Jack Herer that was marked $46 but it was a 20% off sale and got it for like $37. It is good weed, but awfully indica looking for Jack. The buds are frosty, fragrant and kind of big. A real sativa is not frosty like that, not that pungent and the buds are smaller. Still good weed though.

My wife wanted the Jack so she bought it against my advice not to. The weed is good though.

I bought a couple pre-rolled joints for $8 per two pack (two in a tube).

They play with numbers to get you to buy stuff, so the joints were only half a gram each. Most stores sell a pre-rolled that is an even gram.

The thing is, the pre-rolled are made from the natural shake in the jars. At that price they offered an Indica or a Sativa without a kind name.

If you pay more you get a gram joint that is a specific kind, like Skunk #1 or Black Widow.

Usually I don't get too caught up in the names because names really mean very little these days. Too much has happened to weed in the past 40 years and there is no real regulation in naming convention or even type for that matter (indica or sativa). Saying something is Hawaiin or Jack when it could be God knows what. You just have to buy with your eyes and nose and forget about the name.

So tell me, if you would Sound, where did you get that OG you say is real. I would love to pay them a visit myself.

Sorry for being slow replying.

I mainly buy, which is rare, I go to 221 Inc. in Conway. I bit of a drive for you but maybe make a day of it and hit Camano or something for a walk.

The main thing is I only buy from two or three brands. The real deal OG and Kosher Kush is from Aurum Farms. They only do one strain at a time and it sells quick. Then I like Coastal Cannabis. They do a good Sour Diesel. After those I like Sonic Green. They do a great GG4 and Cookies and Cream.

Those are the only rec growers that I personally would recommend. Call around and ask for those. You may find them near you.

Latest posts

Latest posts