What's new

What is happening?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
IF you up-pot those plants into a slightly larger container they would do better. Gently tip the plant out of the pot you may see the roots are restricted.

If you are using an EC or TDS meter then you should know what's in the substrate and how much you are giving the plants,. Using excess fertilizer will almost always cause yellowing.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I measured everything with my Apera EC20 Water from the tap is reading .5, my reservoir is at 1.8.

The three plants looking normal are reading 1.5,1.7, and 2.0 from the runoff

These two... I've been doing a bad job at draining the runoff I guess. I had to double check my pen was right. One was reading around 5 and the bad one was almost 9. I flushed until they were reading ~2

Where should the runoff be? I know those last 2 are wrong, but what exactly is the goal?
That depends on the EC of the substrate. A good way to add or decrease EC is by allowing drainage to lower and holding the run-off for raising the EC. If you check the EC from the beginning to the end you should know what you have at any given time during the grow. Test everything.

As for using tap water I never use it because it causes problems where I get mine. I only use Rain or RO in my gardens because it always does so best. When using rain or RO I have to add a little cal-mag to keep the pH stable.

WonkasTHC

Do not upcan in flower.... will only stress the plants more, nothing else....
Roots dont really grow much in flower so there isnt a point in upcanning in my opinion or in my experience.
Plants look hungry, up your feed to 80-100% and feed every other watering.

Do not upcan tho, not gonna help your situation any.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I've got these 2 purple haze autos, at ~45 days from seed. They are fed daily with Jack's 321, currently at 60 percent strength, plus Protekt at 1ml/gallon. Fed to runoff daily. Ph 5.7-6. Temps in low to mid 70s. Not sure about humidity, probably 50-60s. Light is a little over 12 inches from the top and running at 50 percent(150 watts in 2x4)One of them looks like shit. The other is yellowing, but looking much better. Burnt leaf tips though... I've also got 3 Killer A5 Haze (probably about as big) vegging in the same tent, with the same notes. They look fine. The one closest to these is actually doing the saw blade looking thing on the edges of the leaves, but it's mild.

Any suggestions? I had the fan in a location where it was blowing forcefully on the plants, I moved it. I'm not sure if that's the problem, they are wind burned... But the messed up ones are furthest from the fan

The ones that are still in early flowering need nitrogen.

The more mature plant needs lower nutrients and a little potassium.

Jack's 321 - if you have all the kit, I would use the same or lower nutrient concentration, however skew the NPK ratio towards nitrogen. Like 2-1-1, something like that.

For the more mature plant I would use a lower nutrient solution and an NPK ratio of 1-1-2. The heavier buds need support from the branches and stem, and potassium helps in the ripening process.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That depends on the EC of the substrate. A good way to add or decrease EC is by allowing drainage to lower and holding the run-off for raising the EC. If you check the EC from the beginning to the end you should know what you have at any given time during the grow. Test everything.

As for using tap water I never use it because it causes problems where I get mine. I only use Rain or RO in my gardens because it always does so best. When using rain or RO I have to add a little cal-mag to keep the pH stable.
Only a two-inch increase of container size will give the best result. The roots are getting root-bound. If you add a lot of new soil in too large of a container it can cause problems. Mainly by maxing out the water holding capacity.

You can finish them in the containers you have them in now. You will just need to keep a steady EC or they will decline or stay the same. There are many different fixes you can take however the end yield is what matters the most. I hope you can find what works for you friend. Keep us posted.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
The ones that are still in early flowering need nitrogen.

The more mature plant needs lower nutrients and a little potassium.

Jack's 321 - if you have all the kit, I would use the same or lower nutrient concentration, however skew the NPK ratio towards nitrogen. Like 2-1-1, something like that.

For the more mature plant I would use a lower nutrient solution and an NPK ratio of 1-1-2. The heavier buds need support from the branches and stem, and potassium helps in the ripening process.
Exactly what this Gentleman posted.

Once the plant completes the stretch they require a dose of N, which was used up doing all that stretching.

Up-potting after the stretch is fine and will not harm anything but I wouldn't on the ones in later flower. I don't think your plants need it though.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Up-potting after the stretch is fine and will not harm anything but I wouldn't on the ones in later flower. I don't think your plants need it though.
I agree, however you need to know what you're doing.

You can transplant late in coco coir, because it has no nutrients - if you don't touch the rootball at all.

However anything with fresh nutrients in it will burn the roots, which stresses the plant and can lead to hermying.

Also, the fresh medium has to hydrate for a couple of days, so it isn't taking up water while in contact with the roots.

SolarLogos

IF you up-pot those plants into a slightly larger container they would do better. Gently tip the plant out of the pot you may see the roots are restricted.

If you are using an EC or TDS meter then you should know what's in the substrate and how much you are giving the plants,. Using excess fertilizer will almost always cause yellowing.
I agree, they need bigger pots. The first tow pics are still early enough in flower to upcan now. They last pic can be debated I guess. What is it, week 4 in flower for the first plant? With Sativa indoors, it's normal to restrict pot size until after stretch. I've waited this long to upcan many, many times. Add some Vitamin B-1 to reduce stress. If you do it gently, you'll not really notice much, if any stress. They may slow a little for a day or two, but they'll love it and reward you in the end.

SolarLogos

I agree, they need bigger pots. The first tow pics are still early enough in flower to upcan now. They last pic can be debated I guess. What is it, week 4 in flower for the first plant? With Sativa indoors, it's normal to restrict pot size until after stretch. I've waited this long to upcan many, many times. Add some Vitamin B-1 to reduce stress. If you do it gently, you'll not really notice much, if any stress. They may slow a little for a day or two, but they'll love it and reward you in the end.
I just saw those were autos. Sorry, I have no experience with autos, I only grow photo-period seeds. I've always read not to upcan autos, but again, I don't know.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I agree, however you need to know what you're doing.

You can transplant late in coco coir, because it has no nutrients - if you don't touch the rootball at all.

However anything with fresh nutrients in it will burn the roots, which stresses the plant and can lead to hermying.

Also, the fresh medium has to hydrate for a couple of days, so it isn't taking up water while in contact with the roots.
I would definitely hydrate and charge the coco to match the stage of flowering you are in before transplanting in flower. With coco I don't see a reason to up pot in flower. Soil more so if rootbound becomes an issue.

SolarLogos

Yeah, idk about the auto situation. Seems like half gallon of coco should be sufficient. I've seen bigger in smaller.

And I think some of you are confused. Only the 2 autos are in flower. The others are in late veg. Our maybe I'm just confused reading it.

Flushing seemed to have helped. I also cut off the bad leaves. I forgot to turn the light back up after I watered yesterday, and everyone is looking a lot happier today. I guess I'm giving them too much. I'm hitting them with about 25w/Sq. Ft. On 18/6. I had been afraid that was the case, but not sure how to test.

I'm mixing up a new batch of nutrients tonight, will increase calcium nitrate and see how that goes. Thanks for all the input everybody
If there is just coco, an easy fix to most nutrient problems is flush with proper pH water (your sweetspot, we're all different) until run-off is has about the same EC/ppm going out as going in, then feed it half strength nutrients and after the next watering, go back to a normal schedule. Hope it helps.
Peace