What's new

What is everyone spending of ELECTRICITY $$$

Just curious what people are paying for Electricity. Id like to hear the size of the gardens/price per kilowatt hr/ and what your bill looks like. Im also trying to calculate what Id pay at 5 cents per kilowatt hr. If anyone has a formula please post it up!

SC

oregon bob

Say 1000w bulb @ 12/12 = 12kilowatts

12kw x 30 days = 360kw per month

360kw/m x .05c = $18.00 per month + appx 10% to power ballast

1000w should be $20/mo give or take.

Highest bill I've heard of was 1400/mo (not me) & apparently he had no issues... paid his bill & got the odd look from the payment person, but that is all he ever told me about. Crazy imho...

Say 1000w bulb @ 12/12 = 12kilowatts

12kw x 30 days = 360kw per month

360kw/m x .05c = $18.00 per month + appx 10% to power ballast

1000w should be $20/mo give or take.

Highest bill I've heard of was 1400/mo (not me) & apparently he had no issues... paid his bill & got the odd look from the payment person, but that is all he ever told me about. Crazy imho...

thanks..much appreciated. Im feeling good now!;)

Care Free 1

Veteran
WTF, Where are you getting 5 cents per kw? Must not be in the USA.

1 kw in Cali - 24/0 = @$200.00 per month. 12/12 = @$100.00 per month.

WTF, Where are you getting 5 cents per kw? Must not be in the USA.

1 kw in Cali - 24/0 = @$200.00 per month. 12/12 = @$100.00 per month.

in the center of the usa by the mountains...cali and the west coast are crazy it seems. I heard in the bay area something like .40cents a kwh..WTF?:fsu:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I'm on PG&E CARE and TOU meter, my power is about .08/kwh at night, so my bill is only about 400 a month.

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
.14c/kW in aus thats for full green energy or .9c/KW for fossil fuel generated electricity

Last edited:

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
7.5 cents/KWH and if I use enough it goes down to 6.5 cents(bit I dont use that much)

Costs me $75 a month to run 1000 watt 12/12, 250watt 18/6 + all the fans and heating pads and cfls... But electricity it dirt cheap where Im at,.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
lazyman, i have PG&E too but my energy costs more the more i use. how can i get billed like you?

Ok, two things. You have to call PG&E and ask to get a Time of USe meter and sign up for the E-6 rate program. Didn't cost anything, in fact my house already had the meter. Otherwise a dude will come replace your meter some day.

THen, take a copy of your power bill (other power companies use CARE too) and log into your account online. CLick on the Financial assistance page, and sign up for the CARE program. I have two other people in my house that dont work, so I qualified for the program, but note that they do NO income verification with your company (they dont ask where you work even) so if you need to fudge you can.

A friend of mine went from 425 a month to 108 a month, and another buddy went from 2200 to $500 a month! HUGE savings. Totally worth it. One of my friends just sends in a doctored 1040EZ when (if) PG&E ever asks for it. I couldn't afford to grow without this savings, or at least couldn't have got started.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Electric Bill - $900-$1000 month
Grow supplies - $100-$200
Water bill - $55 month
Growing your own 5-7 lbs of great herb every 4 months??............Priceless!

Ok, two things. You have to call PG&E and ask to get a Time of USe meter and sign up for the E-6 rate program. Didn't cost anything, in fact my house already had the meter. Otherwise a dude will come replace your meter some day.

THen, take a copy of your power bill (other power companies use CARE too) and log into your account online. CLick on the Financial assistance page, and sign up for the CARE program. I have two other people in my house that dont work, so I qualified for the program, but note that they do NO income verification with your company (they dont ask where you work even) so if you need to fudge you can.

A friend of mine went from 425 a month to 108 a month, and another buddy went from 2200 to $500 a month! HUGE savings. Totally worth it. One of my friends just sends in a doctored 1040EZ when (if) PG&E ever asks for it. I couldn't afford to grow without this savings, or at least couldn't have got started.

That is some great info...keep the thread going guys!

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
will try a funny. so bare with us..

we co-op (kind of like hippies, but differ), so whoever is the lasiest worker that day has to peddle the bike to run the lights the next day.

also thought about quad flower rooms and using some solar to run the other while on... technology just not there yet....

edit: why is this is the Medical forum ? mod's maybe move it?

Last edited:

thanks man. i probably won't bother with the care thing but even having a TOU meter would save me a TON! right now i am billed depending on how much i use, the more i use the more i pay, and since my grow is not a part of everyone else in the house i have to pay the highest power cost... .40/kw. i run all my shit at night so im sure just switching to that would really save me. should i worry about getting a tou meter when i am currently running a grow in my basement?

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
i was gonna say dont forge tto factor in the fees and surcharges. with them i pay like 18 or 19 cents per kwh here.
although my actual "rate" is only like 9cents or 10 or something.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
thanks man. i probably won't bother with the care thing but even having a TOU meter would save me a TON! right now i am billed depending on how much i use, the more i use the more i pay, and since my grow is not a part of everyone else in the house i have to pay the highest power cost... .40/kw. i run all my shit at night so im sure just switching to that would really save me. should i worry about getting a tou meter when i am currently running a grow in my basement?

TOU barely makes a dent in your bill, CARE is where the savings are at, see below from one of my bigger bills:

Charges
01/23/2009 - 02/23/2009
Electric Charges $1,223.07
Total Usage 3,763.00000 Kwh
Winter Partial Peak Usage
Baseline Usage 23.89000 Kwh @ $0.10021
101-130% of Baseline 7.16700 Kwh @ $0.11597
131-200% of Baseline 16.72300 Kwh @ $0.23172
201-300% of Baseline 23.89000 Kwh @ $0.33873
Over 300% of Baseline 151.33000 Kwh @ $0.39480
Winter Off-Peak Usage
Baseline Usage 379.31000 Kwh @ $0.08850
101-130% of Baseline 113.79300 Kwh @ $0.10426
131-200% of Baseline 265.51700 Kwh @ $0.22002
201-300% of Baseline 379.31000 Kwh @ $0.32702
Over 300% of Baseline 2,402.07000 Kwh @ $0.38309
Electric Meter Charge $0.25298 8.10
CARE Discount 945.77-
Net Charges $285.40

Simply unbeatable.

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
my bill is credited by the CARE program as well with the same results as lazyman .... with just simple paperwork it took huge chunks from my power bill ..... fromm 1400 a month to 4-500 ....