What's new

What is an idiot proof way to germinate seeds?

AbbieDoobie

^^^ The Green Bastard - Trailer Park Boys are awesome! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

My method is 4" pots filled with Promix, put them in a 11x20 tray with dome, misted and watered real good, placed on a heating pad set on 'low', seeds direct seeded into the soil about 1/4 inch or so. After a couple of days, success! Remove the dome and you're off and running. This method has worked very well for me.

~Abbie :joint:

G

i duno what all the fuss is about. just stick em in some dirt or coco or whatever u use and add water. walah

JBLUNTS

I have never had a problem germinating before. Now I got some AK-48 and WW x Big Bud. I'm using the paper towel method and it's been 24 hours. No root yet, maybe only slight cracking of the seeds. I think I am just more worried about this one than I ever have been before because this is my 1st time having decent seeds...

afropips

The Natural method of germing in finely sieved soil mix.

Use Pots with enough depth to allow repotting before the tap root reaches the bottom of the pot. (maximises female ratio!)
Pots with holes in the bottom work best because they allow the water to escape preventing excessive soil moisture.

Use a soil ,perlite, vermiculite mix loosely compacted.
The blunt end of a pencil can be used to make a small hole apx 7mm deep.
Pop in the seed.
Mix a slight drop of bleach in water solution in a glass.
Use a the straw with the thumb on top catch & release method of
sucking up a cm of the bleach solution & releasing it onto each seed before covering with soil.
This is when you draw your spraygun & spray 10 pumps of tepid water per pot.
Cover the pots with a sheet of glass or plastic wrap.
Place in the warm dark cupboard & monitor.
The seeds pop up fast.
Add a few more pumps of water from the spray gun
per day as needed.
when they have popped up move them to a sunny windowsill.

Very high germ percentages can be achieved using this method (90-100%)
when dialed in.
Seeds that fail to germ in the cupboard after 10 days are removed & placed in a cool room for further stratification for apx 10 more days.
Some pop up in the cool room & the rest that have not,
place back in the warm cupboard for another 10 days.
Some more pop in the cupboard & those that have not are put back in the cool room until you re- use & mix the soil for the next batch of seeds to be germed.

Happy Germing........

Last edited:

Pure MoFo

Hey Now,
have any of you cats used "The Germinator" method from OG? You know, the little bubbler system?( I can post the info if needed) I am about to start my First Meidumless DWC grow with some Lifesaver seeds sunday, and was intrested in what people thought of it.

-Pure

I'm not a Botany Major or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure that sex is determined when the seed is made. Only thing that is going to change is a female turning hermie from being stressed.

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
CarpeNoctem said:
I'm not a Botany Major or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure that sex is determined when the seed is made. Only thing that is going to change is a female turning hermie from being stressed.

no, there are biological factors that can play a role in making a plant change sex. not going to go into it, but it is true.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My method:
put some distilled water in a cup, jar, or plastic bag, shake it for aeration. Put in your seeds and soak for 12-24 hours. Some will be cracked some not. None will have a taproot out to damage. Make an indent 1/8"-1/4" in moistened soil, drop in seed, and cover lightly with soil. Seran rap or a 2 liter with the bottom cut off over the top of the cups of soil.

G

my germ rates have been stronly tied to the season. its simply harder to germ when its too early... maybe im not good at temps tho... seems i either cook or freze them.. maybe the fridge would work good it seems to be not to hot vs my laptop (3.4 Ghz processor)

ya in a laptop so it gets hot....

tho i used mixed mathods of all above.. had great sucess with a wet papertowel sitting on the table with a tuperware container placed over it only. also soaked some in a glass of water with a container over top...

i have some Amethyst x budahs sister i never got to germ last season so i decided to save them. Never had seeds not germ so i will try the first posted method as closely as possible. biggest setback is mold tho, and ive heard of pumpkin growers soakin there beans in a fungicide maybe i should try that.

i think most ungermed seeds (the ones that crack and dont go anyfarther)
are rotten inside...

atleast in my experiance..

StayHigh149

Failproof way to germinate seeds

Failproof way to germinate seeds

...lend some insight y'all...

I'm terrible when it comes to seed germination! Is there a machine or anything that can be purchased to help with this?

I've tried several methods & I'm not getting good ratios with any of them.

Is there a "foolproof" way to germ or a product that will take care of this piece of the growing puzzle?

Thanks

Wiimote

I'm well over 90% success rate with the tried and true papertowel method. I take 2 papertowels and wet them, then squeeze out all excess water. Fold the first papertowel into an appropriate size and shape for a container (I fold mine in half two times and they fit just about perfect in those cheap Glad disposable square containers), then place the seeds, then fold and place the second papertowel snugly over top the first one. I give it a little pat down (gently) to make sure there is good contact between the top papertowel and bottom. I then seal up the container except for one corner (a little breathing room) and let it sit in a warm dark area for a day or two (checking back every 12 hours or so to make sure the papertowels haven't dried out, and to see if anything cracked open).

Thats all I do and it works like a charm nearly every time.

StayHigh149

Same thing that I've done, exactly but does not work that well for me. Will it make a tremendous amount of difference if the paper towels have designs on them? Also, does the temp & humidity levels make a difference?

I've place theem in papertowels, in a ziplock bag with air blown into tit, wrapped in a t-shirt & placed ontop of a powered on playstation 2 (for warmth) & still notthing.....

Maybe my towels are too damp....

I use bottled water, not tap.

Thanks fo rthe reply!

chosen

Veteran
Paper towels are reliable as long as you are careful with the not drying them out. I am not that trusting. Whether I'm using soil or hydro, I soak my seeds in a quart of water with liquid seaweed or liquified kelp. Then I put my seeds into a mixture of 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite. Then I moisten the mixture. The key is to use a container that's at least 3" deep and put at least 1" of standing water in the bottom of the container. The mixture wicks up the water and let's the seeds germinate and grow. Use a spoon or scoop and pull the seedling out and transplant to where ever you need to do so.It's not just a germinating method but a seed starting method.