What's new

What is a Landrace?

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im counting on sam,,,i bet hes got the largest seed collection of landrace in the world,,hes the only 1 who seems to be able to save us,,,,hes the only 1 who understands

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
some sam knowledge would be cool at a time like this.
it's been a big theme landrace's in the past month.
Perosnally I am all for them to come back

Mostly I would love to see a Category in the 4.20 Cup

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
im counting on sam,,,i bet hes got the largest seed collection of landrace in the world,,hes the only 1 who seems to be able to save us,,,,hes the only 1 who understands

I don't see him sharing any of them.

Infact most seedbanks who play around with landraces are just sitting on the genetics and only releasing them hybridized. That's not the way to save them imo.

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Infact most seedbanks who play around with landraces are just sitting on the genetics and only releasing them hybridized. That's not the way to save them imo.

I am not a seedbank, but I am working with Thai, Mexican and Himalayan just for the sole purpose of passing on the genetics pure. I am running a 20 plus week Thai program just to make "FREEBIE" beans.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Can we catalogue where known landraces can still be found?

For example, while Mexico is known for their landrace genetics, it seems many growers there have opted for dutch genetics to pump up yields. Is this the case everywhere, or do we still find indigenous people cultivating their original landraces?

C

charlie garcia

hola amigos

always glad to know landraces still catch some interest. I guess each one has own experiences when first approaching to them. Not many landraces in the market indeed, use to take long, stretchy, variable, intesexuals, low potency, often ugly bitches and so and most ppl dont want to deal with them,takes time. I agree the widest representation you get, the best you can work and select. I like to diferenciate 3 different steps when working with landraces, first when collecting a line, to grow lots of them and make a healthy seed generation the widest possible to store in the fridge. An open pollination can do the trick for that erradicating poor health individuals and obvious unwised traits. A second step comes when you decide to inbreed and refine the original seedstock trying to improve best traits (you think or you wish) several generations. Grow the seeds of best females and select now for only best quality ones and to reinforce these traits like in any other breeding program. And third and final step to me comes when you outbreed and cross with another lines to create F1's. If lines are good enough sometimes just open pollination for storing and hibridation right there makes the trick for the F1's as well.

peace all

C

charlie garcia

with CBG and with ACE seeds I have released several pure lots with the time, but not pure thai available right now, nevertheless several F'1 with Meao male and oldtimer haze, vietnam, thai and other funny females are being offered at seedboutique.
best

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
So is there away to tell if u have a real land race strain just by looking at ur plant/flowers?

In summer of 2000 I took a really great trip to India. and while there I got some dank local goodness.
It had a few seeds so I saved and brought them back to the states and wanted to save them for a good summer garden one year. So this year while looking in a box of old stuff I found thouse old seeds. so I planted them and now they look better than my other plants flowers do.

There r 2 great looking sativa and they smell really dank. and the flowers have this golden color to them.

got pix if ya want.
It would be really great if they were real landrace strains.
eather way IM gunna has a very dank christmas this year. :D

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would like to see some one like b.o.g., dj short, tom hill, or rez make an ibl with a Hawaiian land race, a Thai, and afghan, and a Nepalese, and breed them together until they get it to an ibl. that would be the dankest of the dank.

David762

I agree with you re "banking" cannabis genetics.

I agree with you re "banking" cannabis genetics.

But there is a fuzzy line between a landrace strain and an IBL. A good case in point are Arjan's GH videos like "Strain Hunters - India" where even in an isolated mountain valley, variations were found regarding flowering time, odor, and effect. Their "safaris" didn't necessarily include all the variants, only the characteristics that appealed to them, for largely commercial interests. Not that that is bad, btw, only that that is the way it is and has always been, even with indigenous peoples -- it's called selective breeding.

There is no telling just how many different genetic traits have been lost forever, through either human intervention with selective breeding or with evolution and natural selection itself. It is what it is -- these are plants and not just patentable biological machines, at least not yet. One of my greatest fears is the threat of globalist corporatist monoculture, which has already threatened many other plant species. Cannabis is far too important a plant to humanity for it to fall completely under their dominion.

I’m a huge fan of the concept of Landrace strains. I think it is needed right now before what is left of them get polluted and wasted.

But....I think the term will lead to a lot of abuse from unscrupulous people in the future. If indeed they become the hottest new thing of the future there are going to be a lot of self proclaimed Kings coming up with all these Landrace strains from god knows where. Ever hear of the little know Inuit strain...the one lost for 200 years and recently rediscovered...it has .9% new genetics and the rest is something something haze and white women with a dead husband....

The problem with this hobby is it has become a billion dollar business and people will do anything for the money....

We need an unbiased institution that can text genetics and report on what’s in these strains. Take a look at what’s going on right now....people are gobbling up strains and just repackaging them under different names...I’m not saying that most people do bad things but 1 out of even a million ruins it for everyone.

Then...you’ve got the issue of unintentional cross breeding in places like Jamaica and Mexico. Try to find a real Jamaican landrace strain these days...! And I hear the drug cartels are mixing top genetics from around the world....

Baba Ku

Veteran
another good question is how do we know the number of parents that initially started a specific landrace population?
The answer is 2. A single male and a single female started the population. It is like an Adam & Eve thing.
The area at one time was barren of cannabis, and something introduced the plant to the area. Be it by natural elemental transport or by beast. And there was a first pair that grew there. No matter how you slice it.

Even if multiple seeds germinated at the same time, there was a point that the very first meiosis took place between the genes of two individual plants. The result would be Cain & Able.
Now put on your thinking caps...they had no sisters? Hmmm...
In any event, there was a first pair. Although it is highly unlikely that a single pollination continued on into a sustainable landrace variety. It more than likely happened when several pairs germinated at the same place at the same time, for the line to be perpetuated.

The variety that was introduced to the non-indigenous land will acclimate to it's surroundings over time using it's wonderful powers of survival. Cannabis apparently knows it needs to be diverse as it can be to perpetuate itself, and that is what we see in an acclimated variety growing wild. -Diversity to the max.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
OK so here r the pix of the sativa I was talking about.

It would be really great if they were real landrace strains.
eather way IM gunna has a very dank christmas this year. :D

Attachments

• ghj 132.jpg
    ghj 132.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 3w b-ss
    3w b-ss
    64.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ghj 191.jpg
    ghj 191.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: