What's new

What is a good brand name soil to buy?

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Cool do you find that the chicken manure and other nutrients would be to hot for rooting clones?

Have to agree with Kaskar, it would probably cook your clones. My peppers were 4" high and well developed when i transplanted them.

You could try some seed starting potting mix, it's usually very gentle and low in nutrients.

itisme

Veteran
I want to start this argument right now. Your wrong, flat out wrong. Have you ever heard of the growing method called SOG? Sea of Green? Need I go into detail? Plant Numbers will always prevail in an argument of soil vs plant #'s. Yah its hard to find a soil mix that isnt super hot from the get go, I'll have to go 50/50 with base soil and Kellog Patio Plus, which is basically a 5$ version of Fox Farm.

I think your growing medium is as important as your genetics or at least close. If you can't afford good soil I am pretty sure the other things you need will be cut corners on also.

You just gonna buy miracle grow if you can't afford FF. What other choice is there really? I have actually used MG w/ very good results and I can't recommend any regular dirt because I never used any. Good luck.

T

tokinafaty420

haha, I totally went against the thread title......

People might dog on this, but you're in a pinch and it can give pretty good results.

What can you find nearby? Like for free? Because with some of my gorilla I use nothing but native, other places I'll use native mixed with a bunch of stuff, just recently I helped a friend out, he had some decently established plants but they were in small planters with crap clay soil that you would NOT want to use for planters. I brought him some rubbemaid tubs, perlite, peatmoss, some organic vegetable ferts (Like plant-tone etc), water crystals, and just a touch of lime. Went over there and threw down a tarp, mixed the peat-moss 50/50 with some bomb dirt that we found nearby. Then I found a bunch of rocks nearby, filled the bottom inch with rocks, then a layer of sand, added some sand to the mix as well, threw in the crystals, a crapload of perlite, went light on the water crystals, lime, and ferts. I wish I took a before and after pic of those things :) I ended up spending less than $20 (I had all of the extras we added, and that soil came out pretty damn good.

The reason why outdoor soil is not usually recommended for indoor use, especially with newer growers. You will bring a whole host of insects in with you. There is no guarentee that the natural predators will come with. You could have a run away population of insects that'll do just as much harm as the previous soil mix.

I just recently needed to fix soil that I had plants growing in for a couple of weeks. The soil was too heavy and wasn't allowing the roots to breath, so I added more perilite and a small amount of vermiculite as well. I just knocked about 1/2 of the soil off the rootball (lost some roots too) and replanted them in the new mix, but now the plants look 100% better. Other plants that did not have this problem actually have a new mix I've been messing around with. 1.5cuft organic seedling soil w/ beneficial microbes, 2 coco bricks, 4 cups perilite, 1/2 cup of dol. lime, 2 cups vermiculite.(All stuff I had in extra quanities so I made my own potting mix. :) ) Plants took off like rockets. This mix will provide about 2 weeks worth of fert before you see signs of yellowing. At that point I hit them with any veg fert I have at the time. Right now its FF grow big.

nugga-boo

Yo! Hit up my local summer winds nursery yesterday. And I SCORED! Picked up a 2cu bag of perlite (can't knock on that) and picked up some organic plant mix and a few bags of organic potting mix. I'm gunna dig up the ingredient list for both right now. Ok they don't have the soil description listed online and i can't go to my spot atm... Well the plant mix is bloodmeal, feather meal. The potting soil is kelp meal, guano, sand. and some other good shit. So i know have a good soil mix, better than the osh stuff. I think my clones are done being burned and are just gunna tough it out. I just hope they don't get nute lock up and get slow growth. Hmm so yah I went 40 perlite, 35 plant mix, and 25 potting mix along with some water crystals for good measure.