What's new

What happens when you plant seeds straight into Fox Farms Ocean Forest?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I have a pretty good idea, but lets find out.

Today I planted 10 seeds in 16oz styrofoam cups filled with FFOF. The soil was bought east of the Mississippi during in October of 2010. The seeds that are planted are
- 2 Paradise Dutch Dragon
- 2 Federation Island Sweet Skunk
- 2 Serious Kali Mist
- 4 Green House Seeds Super Silver Haze

All of the seeds were all purchased in the past year or so. In prior grows I've planted 1 Dutch Dragon, 2 Island Sweet, 2 Kali Mist, and 2 SSH. All seeds germinated.

I'll keep this going until the plants die or I can sex them (usually about 3-4 weeks from sprout).

Pine

Day1 - I filled all the cups to the top, thoroghly wet the soil, planted the seeds about 0.5" deep, spray watered again, and set the cups on my boiler (which stays warm but not hot). If and when they sprout I'll put them under a light (probably strait to a 400w MH or CMH)
picture.php

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Good luck but FFOF could be too "hot" for seedlings. I've had some that couldn't make it. It's better to start in a small cup of potting soil and transplant into OF. Hope it works though.

I

idoreallytry

i never had problems going straight to FFOF from sprout,,,but thtose cups are as much FFOF as i would use,,,after u get about 2-3 weeks growth from the cups transplant into promix and perlite and u take contrl,,,when u add the nutes u control the flush as well lol,,,i have always had a problem getting a good flush when using FFOF all thru plants cycle,,,good luck,,,,peace

S

Sirus

I mix 6 parts FFOF and 2 parts FFLW, then some dolomite lime 2tbls per part, EC and some perlite and your good. Good luck bro! :good:

ibjamming

Veteran
If you don't over water...you're going to end up with some kick ass seedlings.

Don't water them at all for a week. Then just enough to re-wet everything.

At the end of a few days...I predict you'll have this...

picture.php

Followed by this at 10 days from popping out of the ground...

picture.php

PLEASE check your water pH...it's so important. Keep it between 6-7, water lightly, give it some nice close CFL light...they love it! My mix isn't FFOF, I make it myself. But it's close, and it's "hot" too.

I also use "clear green" 16oz cups...it lets me see what the medium looks like (moisture), it lets me see the root growth...it doesn't hurt anything, they're not in there long enough. At 10 days (when those pictures were taken) I'm already transplanting into Hempy Buckets (if you've never tried one, do it...easy and works great) for the rest of their life.

Good luck...and don't kill them! They're good strains...hell send me the Kali's!

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised...

phog

Veteran
maybe 5% wont make it- and the 95% will flourish. in my experience FF ocean forrest cut with perlite will veg to the same size 1-2 weeks faster then FF light warrior.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm, the kali and the haze might get burnt - but putting them under a 400 might help (more light = able to use more nutes)

i suspect you may know the answer already because those are expensive seeds to be experimenting with ;) - just a theory

cheers

VG

luvtogrow

How can you go wrong starting in ffof? As far as being too hot for seedlings--not true at all. Laugh when i read that over and over. Anyone who had a seedling fail in ffof, probably calls it too hot.

N

Nick Sand

The general consensus tends to be that you should cut your FFOF with 30% perlite when sprouting seeds. On the other hand, I have germinated seeds in unadulterated FFOF and have never had a problem. Others have reported differently, I know. I put cuttings in it with no rooting powder/gel and they root with no problem. ibjamming is spot on.

B

bakunin15

Shouldn't be a problem at all. The most important thing is making sure the temps are warm...get the lights real close like Ibjamming has 'em.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Only one is up so far after 3-days. I planted them kind of deep so they could take a while.

I will update on Monday when most of them that are going to sprout will have sprouted.

Pine

picture.php

dustin27

Veteran
^^ 2 pics up. that looks a little overferted to me... I've always noticed a little stunted growth from going straight into ffof. good luck mate. update us

puffinchron

^^ 2 pics up. that looks a little overferted to me... I've always noticed a little stunted growth from going straight into ffof. good luck mate. update us

stunted growth? damn i thought i was doin fine for just one 23w cfl and about 2 weeks. I guess not. This was a test run with bagseed but yeah i guess when my seeds get here ill use a perlite mix.

For some reason i always get stunted growth, even with sativas, when I a germ in FFOF. I prefer LightWarrior if im gonna clone/seed in soil, but mostly likely I'd rather use a peatmoss plug or coco-plugs. From my experience FFOF is a hot soil and is best to transplant into from seedling. Even the transplant soil should be cut with a lil' light warrior/perlite. But your's are doing pretty well, just transplant soon into a more mixed soil IMHO.

AriesXX

Although there is some N in FFOF, the yellowing and slow growth people see is probably due more to the overly wet conditions it creates for seedlings, which can cause plants to look N defficient. It's too heavy unless you have a root system actively helping create those wet/dry cycles. A few years ago that was what I used for all my seedlings, and once I found a good moisture level it was fine. I like the Happy Frog for a good balance between coco and soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts