What's new

What Happens After We Die?

L

LolaGal

besides, if you can live 5 years after you first start not paying, the debts are not collectable.

too bad visa... sorry Sears... ya should 've got lawyers quicker...

If this were true, then absentee landlords would forfeit their property when renters are caught growing.

I'm dead, my friends and family ain't gonna get in trouble for my hobby.

The law has to catch you alive to punish you for a crime.

Being dead is like a get out of jail free card. :)

Landlords forfeit rental property ALL THE TIME because of mj growing tenants. Usually though the government must prove that the landloard knew about the grow. Here's just such as case:

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/states/newsrel/sanfran052107.html

If this were true, then absentee landlords would forfeit their property when renters are caught growing.

Here's another case:

I always believed in "Innocent Until Proven Guilty"
until three years ago, when the government
seized my life savings.

My name is Harry Detwiler. I am 62 years old. I was a special education teacher at Ashland High School for 25 years. I was Oregon´s Special Education Teacher of the Year in 1972, and was named Ashland´s Man of the Year twice.

My problems began in 1997 shortly after my son and I sold a former rental property. The new owner was arrested for growing marijuana. During the arrest, police found my name on some of the man´s paperwork.

So they drove to my house 25 miles away to see what I knew. I was not home, but they entered anyway. They found the keys to my safe and took $35,000, my life savings.

When I returned home I thought I had been robbed. Police soon arrived and told me they had taken my money under civil forfeiture laws. They said I should have known the man who bought my home was growing marijuana.

For three years, I have fought unsuccessfully to get my money back.

I was never charged with a crime.
I was never convicted of a crime.
The prosecutor was quoted in the newspaper admitting there was no evidence against me.
Still they refuse to give my money back.
Even after I produced business receipts showing where the $35,000 came from.
In America, people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.
But that´s not how asset forfeiture laws work.

http://www.oregon.gov/CJC/Forfeiture/BM3Favor.shtml

. . .
I would agree if house forfeiture was a consistant normal part of simple grow busts but its not. In fact I dont know of any casual growers that got busted and were forced to forfeit their house. Dead or alive.

In Washington, where the maximum criminal penalty could have been a $10,000 fine, an elderly couple served 60 days for growing 35 marijuana plants - and lost their $100,000 house.

Go here to read about more cases of small grows leading to the forfeiture of a house:

http://www.pinknoiz.com/covert/forfeit5.txt

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
In Washington, where the maximum criminal penalty could have been a $10,000 fine, an elderly couple served 60 days for growing 35 marijuana plants - and lost their $100,000 house.

Go here to read about more cases of small grows leading to the forfeiture of a house:

http://www.pinknoiz.com/covert/forfeit5.txt

I dont really need to read about stuff that happens so infrequently that its not reported up here. People from this site [ and many others ] get busted all the time and not ones come back to say their house was forfeited. Thats a lot of numbers that dont seem to back your internet searched anecdotes. I also noticed you didnt seem to find any dead people that lost their house either. Not very promising if youve had all the internet to search and came up dry.

My personal opinion is if youre the type that worries about what happens after you die you'll be too fraught with worry to grow in the first place.

Myself? Im going to file this type of worry right alongside worrying about flir, global warming, and possibly having a fatal heart attack on the shitter.

How worried can you be if you havent done anything like talk to a lawyer or take out two or three equity loans to tie so much debt to the property that only the insane would try to aquire it thru forfeiture?

Verite, I don't really fret over these things, but I do consider what might happen and plan accordingly so as to avoid any possible problem for those that are entitled to inherit my property when I die. Judging by the thoughtful posts by people such as yourself and others, I am not alone in considering this contingency.

I believe having the people around you know what to do to safeguard themselves and the house makes as much sense as writing a will or having pre-arranged a funeral. Once a plan is in place you can rest easy.

Latest posts

Latest posts