What's new

What happened in 98?

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Simon says:

"At the recent High Times Cannabis Cup (HTCC) 2003, there was some confusion about the fact that Simon entered AK-47 in the Indica Cup for the first time, instead of the Sativa Cup like before, in which the AK had gained several Cup honours, always being considered a mostly Sativa. But the above-mentioned Sativa/Indica relation of 50:50 allows for reclassifying AK-47 every time new results in the breeding process have lead to dominant outer traits of either the Sativa or the Indica type. Because after having finished a new strain and releasing it to the market, Simon uses to keep on working on the genetic formula and partly rebuilds the strains after some years by using previously unused material within the same genetic line as new parent, thus refreshing genetics. The trade-mark characteristics of the strain are basically maintained thereby, only the accents are shifted a little bit. This practice is the reason why Simon's small, but exclusive seed collection never loses its fascination and dynamics. On the HTCC 2003 Indica entry of AK-47 he comments: "Since the AK is currently more appropriately described as an Indica type of effect, we decided to enter it under Indica." Simon furthermore explains the reason for this recent Indica-dominated development of AK-47: "Imagine for example that during your breeding process you choose from each generation the shortest, fattest, mostly kick-ass plants for next parents all the time. Indeed, the % stays the same whatever plants you choose, but the plants effect and looks will be more what we call Indica-like. Such is the case, more or less."

An experienced grower called Cloudz conducted this project, using eight original White Russian seeds. All of them germinated On the whole, AK-47 has won 8 prizes at Cannabis Cups, covering a time period of one decade! It first scored 2nd place in the hydro category of the HTCC 1994, achieved the same ranking in the Indica category of the HTCC 2003 and, on top of that, was recently chosen as "plant of the year 2003" by High Times Magazine in Dec. 2003. "Forever young" could really be the motto of AK-47.

AK47 With its currently predominating Indica characteristics, AK-47 tends to grow to a medium-sized plant with only moderate side-branching, making for a large fat main cola along with several excellent secondary tops. Hence the overall yield can be way above average, Serious Seeds declares 350-500 g per m2 as achievable under good indoor conditions, after 53-63 days of flowering - which is a pretty good time deal, regarding the AK's outstanding qualities in both high and aroma. AK leafs are dark-green, showing more of the Indica spectrum, but not as wide as full Indica leafs. What is remarkable is the fact that also after the latest Indica approach in the AK breeding process, Simon managed to maintain that Sativa-typical high calyx-to-leaf ratio which means lots of flowers and only a few leafs. The single AK calyx size tends to be unsually large, resulting in fat clusters grouping together very decoratively and densely, contributing to the trade-mark appearance of AK-47. These fluffy, compact nuggs ooze lots of glistening trichomes and break up nicely, leaving plenty of resinous crystals on your fingers, unleashing an unusually strong, sweet and fruity aroma."

I've seen that You Tube video, it's pretty funny.

I'm convinced the guy has probably never tasted a OG though.

most of the stuff he says is just plain dumb.

ButteredIt

thanks for all the info on simon and serious seeds guys. i think we're pretty clear on what happened with kali and ak, but what about bubba?

no ones mentioned anything but "there were more seeds popped in 98" about bubba. what happened in 98 that allowed for such a drastic change that we need to differentiate between the two? an online seedbank or something?

if you know the answers to these but can't say in this thread for whatever reason PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP pm me. this is killing me. i MUST know haha.

thanks for all the info on simon and serious seeds guys. i think we're pretty clear on what happened with kali and ak, but what about bubba?

no ones mentioned anything but "there were more seeds popped in 98" about bubba. what happened in 98 that allowed for such a drastic change that we need to differentiate between the two? an online seedbank or something?

if you know the answers to these but can't say in this thread for whatever reason PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP pm me. this is killing me. i MUST know haha.

Good question man..im interested as well....I was gifted a few seeds of pre-98 bubba x kali mist......I have not popped them, they are still in the fridge...

So whats the difference in pre 98 bubba and todays shit?

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in 98 the dutch made it impossible to run a seed company,,,many people downsized and lots of plants were lost,,,

imo,, nowadays breeding is done with small numbers,,,,this small scale breeding will come back to slap us all "1 day",,but not today,,,

aquire your own clone and seed collection,,,protect it!!,,,ya never know whats gona happen ,,,

even the uk might ban seeds soon,,,, the shit might hit the fan,,,dont rely on amsterdam its all turnig to shit, rely on yourself, and maybe the od personal friend,,,make seeds yourelf!!

98 was a bad year for canna,,,hopefull some inderviduals made it through the storm,,,

in sam we trust:)

98..........? ah yes, I remember now. That was the year Arjan's ego manifested into a physical being as it's enormity had far outgrown Arjan's physical dimensions many times over. Said beasty decided Shanti was no longer a necessity as it would be he who fathered all his strains henceforth with his very own loin pollen. Some shit went down in the breeding rooms at the Greenhouse that would have had even the devil himself nauseated and the canna genepool hasn't been the same since. The media seeks to hide the event by releasing news of a taped testimony by President Clinton admitting he had 'improper relations' with Monica Lewinsky... it's all a fraud!

DRorganic

Veteran
my be California might be on the verge of legalizing cannabis .thus giving the usa ther own Amsterdam and then maybe there will be some very interesting breeding going on and cutting edge research done . i think cali is on the cutting edge as far as breeding .

S

swicker

i would love to know why it went down as well, guess it will always be a urban legend

Hey everyone.

What is all the "pre 98 kali" and "pre 98 bubba" etc all about? What happened in 1998 that changed the strains? Did a mom or dad die somewhere?

Sorry if its a stoner question, but I did a search by titles and didn't get any answers.

Thanks!

The 90's ended in 98, nobody wanted to party like it's 1999!

TyPalmer

tracing it all back

tracing it all back

Pretty cool conversation so far...so I wonder, how far back can one trace any particular strain? Have any lines been kept pure from the 70's for example? And is there some sort of seed repository for safekeeping of very old seeds that represent, say pre 98 lines? Or is it as I suspect, a hodgepodge of individual stashes and a few collectives? Sooo curious...

Ty Palmer

Latest posts

Latest posts