What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What eye protection to go for?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
A patent and design copyright search would be needed, yes. I've never seen anything like it on the market, but I'm sure you'll see hundreds of copies immediately after I start selling them.

I guess having a working prototype would help them 'visualize' the situation. lol Retail pricing of the parts is well under $6, and when it's manufactured (without cobbling together off the shelf parts) the price should be about $2 for a packaged product... maybe less? (Meh... $1.50 for a printed box and inserts is a good guess, yes?)

@ just $15/ea retail, I can see the high-end glasses folks losing a lot of grower sales. Especially when you compare the results of their product vs 100% natural color. ;)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Patent is just to protect you while you negociate with the investors. Then it just becomes a first to market and numbers game. If it becomes known under your brand in the market, you will not lose too much from copies. At leastnot in the usa or eu, cause the resellers will contine buying the branded one from you if its good price and in demand. Also, lately, chinese avoid copying stuff where they can't circumvent the patent. You can now pay money and have legal guys take them down in their own country. And then they loose the investments in tooling pretty fast, so they won't risk it most times. Also, it's usually your supplier that does the copies, so if you can, order parts to specs from 2-3 suppliers and have that small job of putting them togheter done after landing them or in the hands of the consumer. Much harder for them to get an early start on you if they plan on flooding the market while you gather your funds for second order.
Good luck! Keep in mind that sometimes a product can be smart and useful, but the chinese don't understand it's purpose or value early on, so they won't bother with it, thinking it won't sell anyway.

lemonade

Veteran
I have a question...

I have researched the subject and have a workable design for protective eye wear which allows you to see 100% true colors, while also keeping your eyes safe and healthy. The design is low tech, super low price, and based on proven concepts from the past and present. The downsides are it's ridiculously easy to duplicate so patent infringement would be a nightmare?

I do not have the money for anything to get this rolling, so I wonder if I should drop it, pursue it, or give it away? I'm open to suggestions where I make some money while also giving it away. lol Everyone should be able to naturally see their plants/work without room lighting causing issues.

Right?

Oh dear. You’re not planning on making shades outa rabbit poop are ya? 😂

Jk. Good luck on your endeavour. 😀

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
While rabbit poop is great for many things:

Aiding digestion of ruminants and (at least at my house) dogs
Increasing quality/quantity of methane in biogas production
Replacement for peat moss as a plant starter (processed first, of course)
Soil conditioner
Fertilizer
Amaaaazing humic substances source when composted before vermicomposting ;)
Septic tank booster
Worm bin booster
Fish/Algae food in aquaculture
and the list goes on and on...

you'd probably have to add something to it before it would hold shape well enough for that. lol :)
Still... if someone really wants a pair, I have plenty of poop to glue together here and mock up a pair. lolol :)

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Thought I would try here instead of creating thread. Does anyone know if UV400 standard protective goggles are safe for UVC bulbs?? Concern is that if the standard is meant for UVC from sun, that is nothing compared to UVC bulb since atmosphere filters out 98%. Do not really plan on staring at it or even being in room with it, but like to be prepared. TIA

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
UV-C should never be operated in direct contact with skin, and there's no uvc coming from the sun on the ground, from what I know. So no standard would/should cover UV-C. Be careful with your health, that stuff kills and destroys all kinds of cells very fast. Should only be used in an enclosed space with nobody having access to it while on.

Loc Dog

Veteran
UV-C should never be operated in direct contact with skin, and there's no uvc coming from the sun on the ground, from what I know. So no standard would/should cover UV-C. Be careful with your health, that stuff kills and destroys all kinds of cells very fast. Should only be used in an enclosed space with nobody having access to it while on.
Yeah, it is only used 15 minutes when needed. I used one 3 times in tent before I realized bulb was defective and produced no light. I like to be safe and would use goggles just in case of accidental exposure.

You were right, zero UVC. It was 5% of UVB making it through.

RobFromTX

Yeah, it is only used 15 minutes when needed. I used one 3 times in tent before I realized bulb was defective and produced no light. I like to be safe and would use goggles just in case of accidental exposure.

You were right, zero UVC. It was 5% of UVB making it through.
And this bulb is used to disinfect a grow room ? Seems like a lot of risk but im just now learning about it

Loc Dog

Veteran
Wear a sombrero if i doubt. :biggrin:
Actually someone in thread mentioned baseball hat. I am going to start using under LED's. Lights I bought came with cheap sunglasses and when I look down the light reflects straight into eyes.

Loc Dog

Veteran
And this bulb is used to disinfect a grow room ? Seems like a lot of risk but im just now learning about it
Kills spider mites, eggs, and all mold. Used 15 minutes, once in awhile. UVB is supposed to increase THC and terpenes by 28%.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Careful, UV-C destroys unstabilised plastics as well and could make dangerous offgases while at it. Uvb too, just takes more time.
Yes,, the UVC bulb is ozone free (very minimal ozone). Have had spider mites from hell and will do anything to get rid of them, without losing $1500 worth of genetics.

troutman

Seed Whore
Actually someone in thread mentioned baseball hat. I am going to start using under LED's. Lights I bought came with cheap sunglasses and when I look down the light reflects straight into eyes.

I've worn a baseball hat a few times and it's better than nothing.
The main thing is to avoid looking at the lights as much as possible.

Latest posts

Latest posts