What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What does seed size variation within a particular 'landrace' cultivar indicate if anything? Does elevation have anything to do with it? TIA!

Lugo

Veteran
Come to think of it I talked about seeds but I didn't answer the question, what variation in seed size means.

goingrey provides answers here. There's a lot more range in seed size in an open pollinated sample then in a limb that's been brushed with pollen on an otherwise sinsemilla plant. The open pollinated seeds were hit with pollen over time while the brushed on seeds were pollinated at once. I've found the seeds that are pollinated first are always bigger. The seeds pollinated later will be smaller. We see this pattern in the open pollinated seeds. The brushed on seeds are the same size because they had the same amount of time to mature.

Often I'll let pollen fly early in the season, when the males are beginning to open a few flowers and there's very few calyxes on the females ready for pollination. I get more careful as the females develop bristles and stash the males far away from the females. So a lot of early pre-hairs end up pollinated. These seeds are always huge because they have lots of time to mature and catch the plant when it has the most energy.

Later in the season when things are winding down the plant has less energy reserves. It's getting closer to autumn and the plant is 'rushing' to finish in time. There's still time for seeds to mature but barely. Many times I'll leave a branch to mature long after I've harvested the rest of the plant. If I wasn't able to pollinate it at the opportune time. These seeds are usually smaller then the seeds on limbs that were pollinated earlier.
Awesome info @goingrey and @therevverend

G.O. Joe

Veteran
There is a relation between seed size and inbreeding or selection, favoring changes to the seeds.

I get the same seed from the same female regardless of how many fathers the seeds have or whether they were raised together. But then again it's not like I hit a female with ditchweed and Afghan pollen at the same time. Now if the females are different...

William76

Mature seeds come in all sizes from the same plant,seen it loads of times,nevil even mentioned his nl had big and little seeds and he noticed coarser plants from the big seeds but preferred the little seeds,was a while since I read it tho so don't quote me but it was something along them lines,he noticed a difference in plants between big vs little seeds.76

Dime

Seed size is due to calyx size all other factors being equal,even landrace plants will vary. Clarke claims some of the most psychoactive strains have a large calyx.Maturity and position on the plant may also play a role. Some hemp strains are bred for oil and have large calyx's as well. In the wild seeds will tend to be smaller and germinate at different rates to increase the odds of survival. I once bought pollen off of Breeder Steve and it was not viable,when I contacted him he sent me well over 100 Sweet Tooth #4 seeds and they were the smallest seeds I have ever seen but produced massive flowers.

da kine

Seed size, in and of itself, is not an indication of the quality inside. Seen some Durban that was extremely small comparatively, and some Afghan that was surprisingly humongous. So, some of that apparently goes with genetics. Obviously, the darker the better, and likely the longer the viability over time. If they have been pollinated all at once by a male, say over a very few days limited time span only, very likely all the seeds will appear similar maturity wise.

Lugo

Veteran
This was shared in our landrace group. Very interesting read.

In a nutshell the study revealed that wild (labeled W) open population grown Cannabis examined from a range Cannabis producing regions produced smaller seeds than the cultivated (labeled C) varieties.

Attachments

• s12870-022-03744-0.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 65

goingrey

pips.jpg

All these seeds are from the same bud. Not different buds from the same plant, the same exact bud.

I'm guessing the small one was a later pollination but don't know for sure.

moose eater

Ran across some big seed recently.
While I've certainly seen variances in size of seeds over the many years, there has most often been differences between strains more so than in the same strain.

I'm not addressing 'white' soft-shelled premature seeds.

Some of my earlier Red Buddha Thai seeds, as only one example of many, were appreciably smaller in size, but mostly uniform in their 'smallness'.

Whether those were inherently from the highlands is probable, however. Was elevation sufficient to impact seed formation of that sort? Pure speculation at this point.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
While I've certainly seen variances in size of seeds over the many years, there has most often been differences between strains more so than in the same strain.

I'm not addressing 'white' soft-shelled premature seeds.

Some of my earlier Red Buddha Thai seeds, as only one example of many, were appreciably smaller in size, but mostly uniform in their 'smallness'.

Whether those were inherently from the highlands is probable, however. Was elevation sufficient to impact seed formation of that sort? Pure speculation at this point.
Sativas South American African Asian are normally much smaller seed …. When you hybridize them with some indica ya can get watermelons

Miraculous Meds

Multiple females and males in a lr breeding project with diverse phenotypes can produce all different sizes and shapes of seeds. With 1 to 1 crosses, they seem to be more uniform, yet you can still get a smaller % of different sizes.

moose eater

Sativas South American African Asian are normally much smaller seed …. When you hybridize them with some indica ya can get watermelons
I have some 3-way crosses here that involved Arjan's original Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, THC-Bomb, and Strawberry Sour Diesel, bred by a former friend in the bush. Mostly are relatively small in size, somewhat uniform. Assuming there's familiarity with the strains, they may be the wrench in the works for some of the assumptions.

Though I did appreciate Amanda Shire's T-shirt in the Jason Isbell documentary, when she was pregnant, and bulging notably at the tummy, and it had an arrow pointing to the bulge in her belly, saying, "Don't Eat Watermelon Seeds."