What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you use to check trichomes ?

Microscope or magnifying glass ?

Microscope needs to take samples, that's what i have, and don't allow to have a wide view. Each time a sample ... and is a little leave in a bud representative of all the trichomes ? Maybe i should look at the pistils ?

Is the magnifying glass more flexible ? Better ?

What do YOU use ?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
This magnifier from Radio Shack works well. Costs twenty bucks. CARSON® MM-200 MICROMAX LED™ 60-100X POCKET MICROSCOPE
55057318_00.jpg

HatchBrew

Veteran
Use your eye and get to know the plant. Watch pistils, if the bud is still swelling or throwing decent amount of white pistil, then wait a little bit, what's a little more time for more/better product :)

get really stoned and stare at el bud for a minute or 2 and you should be able to see the color of each gland.i have terrible vision and i can see them fine without help.it does take concentration.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
this is a great digital microscope that i use- Celestron 44302 Deluxe Handheld Digital Microscope 2MP

Last edited:
so you can see with the naked eye that some are clear and some are cloudy ? It seems difficult to me to . That means my weed is not ready yet.

Other question : can waiting a week more change drastically the overall potency ?

i think a week can and even less than that like 4 or 5 days on some sativas.the head of a gland is def visible to the naked eye under lighting and up close.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Well. many years ago I just used my eyes.. wasn't good enough, I wanted a better look...
So then I got a magnifying glass... Much better, but I wanted more..
So I got a 10x jewelers loupe.... Wow, now we're talking.. i can really see those things..But soon I wanted more ....
Then I got a 100x pocket microscope... opened up a whole new world. But I wanted more power...
Got a German made microscope,,, 100x to 500x... Yeah baby, now we're talking... But after a few years I wanted more ....

Now I'm saving up my money to buy one of these electron microscopes,, because, only the biggest and the best for me!!!!

Attachments

• ectron-microscope.jpg
    ectron-microscope.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
W

WeetisPotPie

I have a couple nice magnifiers but I love my Jewelers headband, has an led, 2 magnifying glasses and a single lense for super close. It's great because your hands are free and you can cover a large area. Pretty cheap too, about 15.00 on ebay. I use it all the time, for checking seeds, clones, sexing even checking hash for impurities.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a couple nice magnifiers but I love my Jewelers headband, has an led, 2 magnifying glasses and a single lense for super close. It's great because your hands are free and you can cover a large area. Pretty cheap too, about 15.00 on ebay. I use it all the time, for checking seeds, clones, sexing even checking hash for impurities.

Great idea! I'd be wearing it all the time!

I use the combo 3 lens jeweler's loupe set... includes one 10x 21mm chrome loupe, one 30x 21mm chrome loupe and one 10x&20x dual loupe. Just shy of $9.00 Amazon.

Premium Digital Microscope and Case for Iphone 4 / 4s - 100x Magnification

View Image

I've got this one. It's good but needs to take samples, like any microscope. I ordered a 40x loupe with led.

From what i see with this microscope, trichs are 30/70 clear/cloudy, but i don't see any amber ones. I've done a flush, one week ago, i hope i can chop down on sunday.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Use your eye and get to know the plant. Watch pistils, if the bud is still swelling or throwing decent amount of white pistil, then wait a little bit, what's a little more time for more/better product :)

this for the most part. every once in a while i'll get my loupe out for new plants i've never run or the not so frosty ones. but generally with experience you can tell when you look at plants, they look more white and dull than shiny, and most of the pistils have turned and started receding. usually give it another week past that point.

B

Baron Greenback

Pistils for me...when she looks ready to me then she's ready.