What's new

What do you guys think about Miracle Grow Potting Mix?

bigAl25

Veteran
I used miracle grow organic for my Ak48, Bubblelicious, and Strawberry bubba kush grow. I had great results. Added about 1/3 perlite to the soil and used fox farm liquid ferts per the schedule. I would use their organic again.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go for it! You don't need that expensive fancy shit. Do some research. You can find everything that you need local without having to go to a hydro store if you even have one nearby.

R.Fortune

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
I just bought a big bag of Miracle Grow Potting Mix? I am a first time grower. What do you guys think? Did I just waste some money?
The bag says that it feeds for months. So I am assuming that it has some time release ferts in it.

nope.
weed requires more food than many others plants, so it last you about a month with it.
Do you think I could use this soil if I add perlite?
It also says that after a month it is recommended to use Miracle Grow plant food. I am really short on cash and this has to be a budget grow. What are some good ferts that are not too horribly expensive?

yea it goes fine with perlite.
There is a good cheap organic fertlizer available many walmart type places, called ALASKA. thats the brand name. They have fish emulsion liquid(5-0-0?), a dry veg fert(9-4-4) that Walmart had blue tubs of it for something like $5. itll last a whole grow. They also have a flower fert (0-10-10) that I have trouble tracking down.
Its great and just about impossible to burn plants with.

:tiphat:

heres a pic of the veg fert -
picture.php

bigAl25

Veteran
I forgot to mention that I also add cal mag to the soil with the perlite. I used molasses, unsulfured, throughout veg and flower.

Lowman

I recently tried out MG's new expanda grow( or something like that) prefed coco, available at walmart. The stuff rocks...period. I feed it as if there are no nutes in it like Canna or B'cuzz coco. No issues what so ever.

Now I don't have to pay through the ass for shipping of coco.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Dont like My growing? Dial 1-800-eat-shit

Dont like My growing? Dial 1-800-eat-shit

you all suck at growing weed

picture.php

picture.php

Nevil Shoenmaker thinks Im a hell of a good grower and loves my plants. He is the King of Cannabis, Who are You? LOL

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
I recently tried out MG's new expanda grow( or something like that) prefed coco, available at walmart. The stuff rocks...period. I feed it as if there are no nutes in it like Canna or B'cuzz coco. No issues what so ever.

Now I don't have to pay through the ass for shipping of coco.

miracle grow coco has MG slow release in it. look at it again, see the little yellow translucent balls? thats the nutes.

though I agree it's good stuff, I am using some right now.

P.S. I realize now I read your post wrong. and that you know it has nutes in it, but you been ignoring them.

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
in response to the 100% correct above post about fungus gnats in MG.
ANY potting mix stored outdoors where it will get damp from the rain has a pretty good chance of having gnats in it. So it's more a matter of how the pallets of soil were handled than the brand itself.

I like the seed starter mix also.

In a pinch I would use the standard green bag of MG, but I wouldn't want to use it for short term crops like clones with no veg time or 12/12 from seed grows. If you veg in it for a month or so, THEN flower in it chances are you will have used up enough of the slow release ferts to get decent tasting end product.

I've also done one run of a nice organic mix that was based around the MG organic garden soil and a bunch of amendments, I have no idea why I didn't run it again it was pretty trouble free.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Suppose I chime in.. I use MG soil. It is better than some of the generic brands sold at discount stores. I prefer the kind Without time release nutes, but I have been rethinking that. Many have said to completely cut the N in your feeding once you start flowering. I was of that belief. That is why I didn't want a time release formula releasing while it was in flower. But I have changed my view and think a little N is good throughout the flower, or at least the first 2-4 weeks. The amount of time release N left in the MG after three months is minimal and probably about right. I mean I still feed the first two months or so with a High N formula despite the claim the MG has it already in.

I used Perlite too. I like a heavy layer on top because I got light reflective qualities from it in early veg.

Growing weed is like a lot of things. Many people do it their own way. What works for some don't work for others. It's not rocket science, it's about keeping a living thing alive.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've used MG soils in the past with good results. I've also used Sta-Green Tree & Shrub Nursery Mix and it does even better than the MG. You will have some issues with gnats, but other than that it's great stuff. Mostly compost mixed with some perlite and dolomitic limestone.

Nice plants Dr. Purpur. Those purple buds look mouthwatering.

-Funk

Miracle Grow makes your pot taste fucking nasty... like i dunno.. like you bought a new cheap BBQ and never threw your old cheap BBQ out because you were going to put it on craigslist for $5 but never got around to it, and somehow the lid was left open so the cats thought it was a cat litter box because of the massive mound of grey ash from charcoal briquettes that you never cleaned out.

It tastes like you're smoking some of that.

I'd only use it or osmocote for mommas... or to eliminate variables in troubleshooting problems... or maybe an outdoor guerilla grow.. but planting early so its pretty much gone by the time flowering kicks in.

it does, it makes nasty tasting plasticy chemically tasteing erb, u can tell mg weed the second u take one hit no matter the strain.

PuffinNugs

i use it all the time, i would use something differnt but its hard to find in my area. i have great results with it though.

threw in a picture of my last auto grown with MG. it may say it feeds for months but by the time the plants are done youll ahve to add some nutes.

i also never had any funny tasting buds or have i had it burn any of my seedlings or clones.

its not my first choice in soild but out of most of the stuff in the area its definitly the best. i also tried MG moisture control and that stuff just is horrible.

Attachments

• DSC03339_.jpg
    DSC03339_.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 10
Wow. Most of these posts are completely contrary to my experience with Miracle Grow soil. IMO it should be renamed to Miracle it Grew. Used it twice and each time, transplanting into something else caused an explosion of healthy growth, after weeks of growing like shit. Frickin seedlings looked more like (sick) bonzai palm trees.

Ny2CaFuse

in response to the 100% correct above post about fungus gnats in MG.
ANY potting mix stored outdoors where it will get damn from the rain has a pretty good chance of having gnats in it. So it's more a matter of how the pallets of soil were handled than the brand itself.

I ran into that once when I bought a bag of MG from the garden center at Wallyworld. Started replanting my houseplants, and got half way through the bag and found larva all over.

After that anytime I've ever bought soil mixes that were outside, or even damp when I opened them, I've cooked them first to kill anything that might be dormant in it. Just put it in a big baking pan and throw it in the oven for a few minutes... usually kills any bugs that made their way in there.

I ran into that once when I bought a bag of MG from the garden center at Wallyworld. Started replanting my houseplants, and got half way through the bag and found larva all over.

After that anytime I've ever bought soil mixes that were outside, or even damp when I opened them, I've cooked them first to kill anything that might be dormant in it. Just put it in a big baking pan and throw it in the oven for a few minutes... usually kills any bugs that made their way in there.

Not to start an argument, but I wouldn't do that either. For one thing, a few minutes in the oven won't do anything but heat up the first 1/8th of an inch of the soil pile. It takes a long time to heat to the center of soil. Also, heating soil like that can cause it to become toxic. Its normally steam sterilized.

IMO, if I found myself having to go through sterilizing soil, I'd just buy better soil. And yeah, here in the north, especially in the spring you have to be carefull you're not buying last years excess inventory. No faded bags, and nothing wet.