What's new

What do you feed your worms anywhyz?

G

I what to start a new duel worm farm, one bin geared for veggin' and another geared for bloom. What I am hoping to get in the line of feedback is any ideas on food that would be better in one of the two bins and why. Basically I will be putting high N into the veg bin and high K into the bloom bin. A lot of the scraps I use I have no real good idea of what is in them (NPK). If we could somehow add to the NPK list over at the OFC it would help all of us worm herders.

Going to start the thread with my new DIY bins, about five gallons each.

I would like to thank Suby for putting this "worm" in my ear. But think about it, if we could have two different castings as a base for our teas that would make things alot smoother. Just need to find out whats best to put in what bin...

Last edited:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Jackson, if you are a coffee drinker, use your old grounds in the veg bin. It is high in nitrogen.

The ideal situation would be to raise rabbits, and throw all the rabbit shit in the worm beds. Good fertilizer for mj and great food for worms.

Last edited:
G

DIY Worm Ranch

DIY Worm Ranch

Part List
[Edit]

Three, stackable tubs
Drill motor
1/4-inch drill bit
One, pegboard jig (cut to inside of tubs)
Scrap piece of board (big enough for tubs to sit on while drilling)
One-foot 3/8-inch OD clear tubing (not shown)
5/16-inch drill bit (not shown)
1/2-inch drill bit (not shown)
Sandpaper or sanding block (not shown)

Light test
[Edit]
The bin you use should pass the 60w test, take your bin and cover a 60w bulb in the dark you shouldn't see any light through it. If you see light you'll should to paint it, wrap it with duct tape whatever it takes to block out the light. These tubs passed the test, so not painting needed.

When the tubs are ready...

Step one
[Edit]

Put jig in tub and drill 1/4-inch holes repeat until you have done two tubs. Take a piece of sandpaper or a sanding block and clean up the holes.
[Edit]
Like this...

Step two
[Edit]

Take the third tub, at the bottom of one side drill a 5/16-inch hole, and if you can, drill a 1/2-inch hole in the top lip right above it. Work the clear tubing into the bottom hole (heat the end in some hot water) use a push of some sort (tire plug tool, #3 Philips driver anything small and blunt), making sure to get any kinks out.
[Edit]
No kinks here...
This is a tub to catch the worm juice that they make while working for you. use the clear tube to check/drain as needed, and use that juice on your plants or in your tea also. It don't have to be as tall but these tubs were sooo cheap and they stack...

This is what it looks like when stacked.
[Edit]

I'll be making a lid and filling this one tomorrow and editing it into this post.

Making a lid

[Edit]
Well I cut all the pieces and laid them out to take a picture, sat down, smoked a couple dupes and the next thing I know I had put it together without snapping a shot... This is how it went, out of some 1X2 slats I cut two pieces 1/8-inch longer then the length, then two pieces the width plus 1 5/8-inches. Screwed these together to form a lid. I then screwed a scrap piece of slat from corner to corner making it square and ridged. Flipped it over and spread caulking around the top about 1/16-inch thick. Took a piece of ground cover or you could use screen and starting on one side stapled it down as tight as I could get it. turned it upside down, laying flat untill dry. Trimmed it up removed the scrap piece from the bottom and it's ready to go Now if your bin has a lid you can just cut holes (aleast half the area cut out) and cover with screen or ground cover sticking it down with calking like I did.

Ran out of time and still haven't filled it... Stay tuned...

Last edited:
G

Pops said:
Jackson, if you are a coffee drinker, use your old grounds in the veg bin. It is high in nitrogen.

The ideal situation would be to raise rabbits, and throw all the rabbit shit in the worm beds. Good fertilizer for mj and great food for worms.

Thanks Pops, yea grounds and my tea bags too. Being a inside bin I want to steer away from DOO-DOO but great for outside bins. any more wisdom on household scraps like ground seeds?(peppers,orange,squash and such) I just but them in the blender, give them a whirl with some water, drain them and feed the wigglers the sludge and use the water in my teas. Asparagus scraps does anybody know what that adds to the bin? I use the leftover water from steaming Asparagus for bug control just a little on top of the soil after cooling too.

Added...

I will be starting the bin with some chicken shit compost (from a farm not a store) but I haven't added anymore then a starter batch to my old bin and the worms/plants seem happy with the food they get from the house.

Last edited:
G

On the subject of worms, can I just dig up worms in my yard of anykind or am I looking for a specific type/color of worm to put in the bin(s)?

I get the jist of the bins, but what is the purpose of the clear tubing sticking out the side?

If you frequent the OFC, no doubt you've seen the NPK list of foods there, I thought it might be helpfull to add this list here:

herbs and nutrients accumulated.
borage: silica, phosphorus.
chamomile: calcium, potassium, phosphorus.
comfrey: silica, nitrogen, magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron.
fennel: sodium, sulphur, potassium.
horsetail: silica, magnesium, calcium, iron, cobolt.
nasturtiums: sodium, flourine, sulphur, magnesium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron.
nettles: sodium, sulphur, nitrogen, calcium, potassium, iron, copper.
primrose: magnesium
spurges: boron
vetches: nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, copper, cobolt.
yarrow: nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, copper.

worm ranch.....hahaha!....yeeehaw! that's what we should be calling the bush administration by now.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Worm Wranglers

Worm Wranglers

Getting Worms Next Tuesday.
1lb like 20 bucks delivered Red Wigglers.

Don't know much about it, but the book I have say Peppers are not good for Worms. Mabe just the Table Type Peppers not sure about freash Peppers.

You can get worms from the ground. You need about 1 lb for 3 lbs of food a week. Thats like 1000 worms, and you don't know what kind of worm you have.
Some are better than overs and Night Crawlers won't work.

I'll know more later and I'll keep watching this thread.
Intresting stuff if not a little gross.

Sin

G

WoW, killer thread. I've always wanted to try something like this with worms. Glad, i came across this thread. Thanks for sharing the info. I'll be giving this a go for sure. Nice to see you around Sinfuldreams
Take care all,
BG

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
How much can a worm eat?

How much can a worm eat?

Salutaions Billy! Good to see you like this kind of stuff :wave:

Well this book I have says under Normal Condtions 2lb of worms can eat 1lb of food scraps in 24 hours. Under Perfect condtions 2lb of works can eat 2lbs of compost or food scraps. So it's well worth at least looking at this for all your graden needs. Lots of food waste = lots of vermiecompost.

Red Wigglers ( Elisenia fetida ) Adults grow to 3 inchs.
Cocoons hatch in 35 to 70 days...... so you would be having new worms every 2 months LOTS OF THEM.
Favorite food... Very Rich Compost, manure, decaying plant and animal matter.
How ever its sugested not to feed meat to them.

These are the Best worms for vermicomposting. in perfect conditions can eat it's weight in food every 24 hours.High reproduction rate. Doubling it's numbers ever 60 to 70 days.

Temp range 59* to 77* F 15 to 20* C

It can tolarate many conditions most other worms can not.

Sin :yummy:

G

Sinfuldreams

I did mean sweet peppers (bell) seeds I don't think the hot ones are "bad" for your worms just too hot for them to eat like onions the worms just don't eat them. You don't what to put things in your bin that the worms don't eat, if your not sure, put a little bit in one corner, wait a week and look to see if they ate it. I was having trouble with orange/lemon peels in my old bin, looked like they weren't eating them. I've read that worms like these peels so I think maybe I was putting in too many, we'll see this go round.

bbc

Red worms are what to look for in yards/fields. Nightcrawlers will work outside in a bottomless bin, dig your pit aleast eighteen inches deep to start them and they don't eat/multiply as much as reds. I added to the building post #3 to clear up the clear tubing tub I hope.
That's the list I was talking 'bout adding to, got a link on the first post. I eat a wide range of foods and would like to find thier NPK and add to the list those "weeds" are cool how about fresh spices like basil, oregano and stuff we grow in our gardens I allways have more then I can ever use. Pecans I feed my worms the crushed shells, but what about the nut it's self? I could pick up twenty gallons easy out of my yard after I get what I use for a year.

Last edited:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Jackson, I'm sure that you are aware that chicken shit is the hottest manure available. Make sure that it is well composted, or it will compost in the bin and raise your temperatures.

I have no experience with the red wigglers, I raised african grey nightcrawlers 50 years ago.

If you can get fresh rabbit manure without a lot of urine on it, it is great fertilizer and great worm food. It is the urine that adds a lot of nitrogen and a lot of smell. Rabbit shit is mild enough that you can add it straight to plants without composting. We raised our worms in beds below the rabbit hutchs.

G

Pops said:
Jackson, I'm sure that you are aware that chicken shit is the hottest manure available. Make sure that it is well composted, or it will compost in the bin and raise your temperatures.

I have no experience with the red wigglers, I raised african grey nightcrawlers 50 years ago.

If you can get fresh rabbit manure without a lot of urine on it, it is great fertilizer and great worm food. It is the urine that adds a lot of nitrogen and a lot of smell. Rabbit shit is mild enough that you can add it straight to plants without composting. We raised our worms in beds below the rabbit hutchs.

It was composted for a year I just use a little to start the bins. put a few thin layers it don't take much. I add it for the microherd not for food. The worms eat/break down the leafs/paper/peat for the micros too eat, dig, then I just start feeding scraps after a week or so. You'll see what I talking about when I post the "Starting a bin" post...

Last edited:

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a worm bin now about the same size as the one JS has pictured. I've had it since the first of November. Bought about 2 pounds of Reds. Man are they hungry little bastards , or what???!!!. :yoinks: I've been feeding them potato peels,carrots,lettuce,coffee grounds,etc. (I have a friend that works in a cafeteria). First, I put them in a food processor to grind it down a bit. The worms do the rest - in short order I might add.

G

Vash said:
I have a worm bin now about the same size as the one JS has pictured. I've had it since the first of November. Bought about 2 pounds of Reds. Man are they hungry little bastards , or what???!!!. :yoinks: I've been feeding them potato peels,carrots,lettuce,coffee grounds,etc. (I have a friend that works in a cafeteria). First, I put them in a food processor to grind it down a bit. The worms do the rest - in short order I might add.

Thats what I'm talking 'bout...

I just want too try having two bins one geared more for flower, like those potato skins on that NPK list it's "Potato Skins (ash): 0/5.18/27.5" so I want to put more of them in the flower bin, the skins raw will have N in them and the PK will be lower then the ash but still a flower worm food. Cucumber Skins (ash): 0/11.28/27.2 There's another good one for the flower bin. Hair(14/0/0/0) and feathers(15.3/0/0) would be good for the viggy bin for sure. See where I'm trying to go? Now I'm not saying don't feed these things in both bins just more N less PK for the veggie worms and more PK less N for the flower worms.

Last edited:
G

I was thinking about this setup today and got to wondering. How often should one thin out the worms? I mean, as they breed and make more worms. How often should one move some of the worms to another container or else where's? Killer thread and i'll thinking about putting together a unit. There are a couple of good books out there and some can be found at hydro stores. I've seen two different books at Wormsway hydroponic store.
Take care,
BG

G

GoldDustWomen said:
I was thinking about this setup today and got to wondering. How often should one thin out the worms? I mean, as they breed and make more worms. How often should one move some of the worms to another container or else where's? Killer thread and i'll thinking about putting together a unit. There are a couple of good books out there and some can be found at hydro stores. I've seen two different books at Wormsway hydroponic store.
Take care,
BG

I really don't know a easy answer to those questions. Yes they multiply but only to as much food you give them, Worms die - worms hatch, if there isn't food for them the cocoons don't hatch. I use and give away my worms for fishing (free food, my favorite). The old bin I have is a lot bigger (aleast four times) then this new duel one, and in a year it never got full. I have a couple of sliding doors in the bottom of the sides to harvest castings from and I just dig into the top for worms. When I go fishing I allways take a "cool whip" tub extra to "bait" the pond with, makes fishing fun when you catch fish and the worms are free. I got a small pond at the house that I feed the fish also. Don't laugh too hard, but my dog goes crazy over them and will eat as many as I will give him. Hope this helped if not please someone that knows about these small bin give us a heads up...

G

Thanks, I understand and have a good idea now. Sounds like the number of worms isn't something i really need to worry about, but its good to know. Just keep a eye on them and see the amount. I'm going to order some worms and head over to Wally-World and pick up some rubbermaid container's and get a unit together. I'm not growing right now, because of a little problem a few years ago. I am putting together a veggie garden and some strawberries and plan to use some of the castings. Thanks for the help and info. I'll make sure to do a thread of my own and link it. I'll show the picture of the steps of construction and how my little farm is doing. Thanks again and take care.
Later,
BG

G

It's my thread, I can go off topic if I want to...

It's my thread, I can go off topic if I want to...

While I was out in the shed I stumbled over this...
[Edit]
A DWC "WET DREAM"

That's a ten gallon pail on the right beside the five gallon one. The're hard to find, a pool uses like one a year, if the pool owner can dish out the bucks to buy one that big. Got three of them with lids wish I had more, real good for soil, keeps the bugs out but still lets air in.

GDW

Can't wait to see how it goes for you. Even with just two at the house we make plenty of scraps for both a inside and a outside garden. Good luck.

Last edited:
G

Starting the bin

Starting the bin

Went out and gathered some pecan leafs out of the yard. Noticed some bitters(salad greens) growing in a old bed so I picked some of the for some green. layered the green to a good cover in the bin with holes, filled to top with dried leafs. put that bin into the bin with no holes, put the other bin with holes on top. Put a filled gallon jug into the bin and added water 'till it was about one inch into the top bin. Let this sit for a day or two to kill/drive off any bugs, used that fish net to skim off the buggers.

Let the leafs drain then chop course, shredded three newspapers into finger sized pieces. Use a paper shredder if you got one, I like tearing paper myself, anger management and all. Now get out ‘bout two gallons peat and 1/2 cup sand. Cut a piece of ground cover to fit inside of bin (remember that jig). Put down the cloth and cover it with ‘bout a inch of peat cover that with some paper a inch or so will do and mist with some water. Add a good layer of leafs ‘till almost half full cover with some more peat/paper misting again, covering the very top with some more leafs (like mulch 1 inch or so). You can add some poop on top of the peat layers if you want, you will not need much if you do 1/8 cup or less per layer (we're NOT feeding the worms yet). I’m only adding two cups of worms to my bin with some of the “Top of the bed”. If I need more I can add them later, I’m new to this micro-farming stuff so I don’t know yet how much food I’ll be adding to this “Flowering bin”. In a week or so when I start feeding them I’ll have a better idea.

Ready to go, find a place to put it stacked on top of that juice catcher and covered with my lid.

sorry about the pictures I'll replace them when I find those damn batteries...

Last edited:

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Great Thread Jackson

Great Thread Jackson

I like your bins much better than the commerial one I have.. got it as a gift.
And yours is easier to make than the ones i saw in a Book.
Be prepaired for tons of Questions when I get my worms. :chin:

I have some kitchen waste now molding over and such. Monday I will start the filling the bins with bedding and some food.

How much would you say 1lbs of "Newly Arived Worms" might eat? I read giving them too much when Just Mailed is not so good for em.

I live in Minnesota and the freeze would kill em in winter outside. What about doing a Garden Bin, you know a larger Outdoor Bin.. would they survive a deep freeze with out say a bottom?

Thanks Great Thread! Can't wait to learn more!
Thanks

Sin

Latest posts

Latest posts