What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do these words mean?

Space Toker

Veteran
I'm hoping you can help me out here, I knew a old Russian lady that is now deceased, and she called her son these words and I'd like to know what they mean. Please help if you can! I don't know if I have the pronunciations exactly right or not, but they are:

HOO-TIE or HOOL-TIE
LINCH-EYE
SKA-CHEE-NA

I think that's it. also if someone knows how to tell someone to f off in Russian, that would be handy too! :D
thanks

Space Toker

Veteran
Oh and she used to call certain men "KOOD-LOT-EE" OR "BA-DA-DOT-EE" OR "DO-REAL-UH" OR "STRA-SHNEE".

jump117

Veteran
LINCH-EYE =Leen-t'-eye = lazy man, bummer
SKA-CHEE-NA =Sko-teen-ah = animal, cattle
DO-REAL-UH =Do-real-lah = fool
STRA-SHNEE = StrashneeY = terrible, frightful

Space Toker

Veteran
yeah bub that was the hope! :)
yes I kind of thought something along those lines nugget.
and whoa, jump came through bigtime, thanks man, nice to know what those mean even though they are not nice, me and my friend thank you! Needless to say, this woman did not look favorably on her son at that time, but thankfully things improved a bit on both ends before her passing. Kind of had a rough idea that those words meant something similar to what jump117 suggested but not the exact translation, if such a thing exists. the only one I had no clue on was the ska-CHEE-na one, I take it she meant the animal translation. I think Ba-da-DOT-ee means something like bearded one or bearded old grub or something like that but want to confirm this! :D
believe it or not, at like 4 1/2 years old, my grandma who was born in Russia (also full of fiery words I wish I could remember) said "that little shit can speak better than me"! She said that after I corrected her on something. Then those f'n counselors or whatever they were called, in kindergarten or first grade, did something to me because after that by second grade, I could hardly remember a handful of words. I to this day can understand what someone is roughly saying especially if they are speaking a mix of Russian and English as my ancestors often did, but I cannot speak but a few words.
anyway, thank you much!
any other interesting words you can provide translations for would be most appreciated and probably amusing to many!

Space Toker, you are so damn sharply right!))
Ba-da-DOT-ee, how you spelled it, with a 99% chance is ba-ra-duh-tiy wich actually means a bearded person)

Another word I like and use quite often is - Dol-Bo-Yob wich is a rood form of word 'fool'

~Stay cool :smoke:

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks for confirming that man!
and absolutely, if anyone has interesting words or questions about interesting words, please reveal them. Maybe those of us who wish we could speak more Russian can learn to do it here. also Russian folklore, would like to know more about that. My mom, also recently deceased coming up on a year ago, was a Spanish teacher (well taught Spanish kids to speak English) and spoke Russian. I don't know if she picked it up from folklore from another country when teaching her kids English, but she used to say "crush your eggshells before putting them out in the compost pile, or the SEA WITCHES will come to get you". I know there is some interesting folklore I vaguely remember about wolves and forest witches and father time or father Christmas or something, but I never remember anything about sea witches. We value our tradition, history and culture more than most nationalities, so not knowing more bothers me. thanks for past, present and future insights!

Here are some cartoon characters from soviet union:

1) Uncle Stiopa the Giant - a huge man who works as a cop, he's as high as a traffic light))
film_2138_00.jpg

2) Gena the crocodile and cheboorushka. Gena is.. well.. a crocodile and cheboorushka is a strange bear-mouse-like creature with huge ears. Once Gena found cheboorushka on the train station and since then they both lived in crocodile's appartment. Gena earned his living by plaing accordion. Cheboorushka did nothing special, as far as I remember)

Gena:
0003gq4d.jpg

Cheboorushka:
s320x240

So that's how the cartoon characters of those times looked like)

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
HOO-TIE or HOOL-TIE: equals ho, whoa, as in get yer clothes on you whoa. or man yer gurl is a ho..

ska cheena equals:: big hairy bush... and
linch eye equals dirty whisker bisquit... hope this really helped... lol peace..

sack

Benefit

LINCH-EYE =Leen-t'-eye = lazy man, bummer
SKA-CHEE-NA =Sko-teen-ah = animal, cattle
DO-REAL-UH =Do-real-lah = fool
STRA-SHNEE = StrashneeY = terrible, frightful

LINCH-EYE =Leen-t'-eye = lazy man, bummer -100%
SKA-CHEE-NA =Ska-che na = download
DO-REAL-UH =Do-real-lah = ???
STRA-SHNEE = StrashneeY = terrible, frightful -100%

jump117 why you think it's a fool? :laughing:

jump117

Veteran
Just because I've read
SKA-CHEE-NA as "скотина" that means "cattle" and
DO-REAL-UH as "дурила" that means "fool".
Do you have another version?

Space Toker

Veteran
anything, everything. I don't know, something I guess. A few juicy swears (my grandma swore like crazy but in American!), a little folklore like stories one would tell their children or something. or whatever you feel like, just something the average American typically does not know about our culture.

Weedninja

Sava

folklore..ok, did you hear about "baba yaga" the old woman who lives in a deep forest in little wooden house. The house has two chicken like legs so it can move...Baba Yaga was a cannibal. she searches and then stole her victims,especially little boys and girls, by flying on her wooden bucket. One day she stole little boy Ivanushka...She fired her oven and prepare to cook "roasted guy"..she tald him to undress and to sit on the shovel....but little guy was so small so he said her that he cant sit on the shovel right way and asked her to demonstrate the right method of sitting...so she has to show him and sat on the shovel.... the little guy, as fast as he can, put the shovel in hot oven and close the cover.....While old prostitute roast she cried and said so much bad words...
So good so kind boy doesnt he?