What's new

What do the seed companies mean by flowering time?

Teehee

Hi there, sorry for the probably extremely noobish question, but when seed companies list flowering time, is that the time it takes to finish flowering from the moment you plant it, or by the time you put it into flower?

Thanks very much, and sorry again :)

Xare

Its from when you put a Sexually Mature Plant or Clone on 12/12 lighting for flowering.

A seedling or young vegging plant that is immature will take longer to flower because it does not have the proper hormone levels built up for vigorous flowering yet.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Hi there, sorry for the probably extremely noobish question, but when seed companies list flowering time, is that the time it takes to finish flowering from the moment you plant it, or by the time you put it into flower?

Thanks very much, and sorry again :)

The only dumb question is one you don't ask. It's intended to refer to the time it takes to finish once you switch it to 12/12. I think a lot of times, this is very optimistic and sometimes it's fairly accurate. I find most of them are a week or so short of optimum. I wonder sometimes if they are saying how long from the time the plant starts to show it's feathers (pre-flowers)... it seems more realistic in most cases. I'm running a strain right now that claims 55 days... I'm at 50 days now and can tell they are no where near that harvest prediction. I'm planning on going 2 more weeks with that, but... If I go back to my notes and see where I mention seeing the first signs of feathers, it should be about 55 days from then... so, go figure.. I just use it as an 'optimal' opinion in the breeder's minds, but most of us don't work in the 'optimal' world. Sorry, that was a long answer to a short question.. hope it helps..

btw.. welcome to ICmag..

mgk :tiphat:

Teehee

Its from when you put a Sexually Mature Plant or Clone on 12/12 lighting for flowering.

A seedling or young vegging plant that is immature will take longer to flower because it does not have the proper hormone levels built up for vigorous flowering yet.

flowering is an estimate..

also clones flower faster..

The only dumb question is one you don't ask. It's intended to refer to the time it takes to finish once you switch it to 12/12. I think a lot of times, this is very optimistic and sometimes it's fairly accurate. I find most of them are a week or so short of optimum. I wonder sometimes if they are saying how long from the time the plant starts to show it's feathers (pre-flowers)... it seems more realistic in most cases. I'm running a strain right now that claims 55 days... I'm at 50 days now and can tell they are no where near that harvest prediction. I'm planning on going 2 more weeks with that, but... If I go back to my notes and see where I mention seeing the first signs of feathers, it should be about 55 days from then... so, go figure.. I just use it as an 'optimal' opinion in the breeder's minds, but most of us don't work in the 'optimal' world. Sorry, that was a long answer to a short question.. hope it helps..

btw.. welcome to ICmag..

Wow, thanks very much to all of you! :) +rep.

Considering the answers, do you think it would be faster to germ a seed, then the moment it has its first fans, I cut them and root them? Or would it be quicker to just let it go on as normal?

Also, sorry about this, but another question I just thought of: if I want to get at least one plant finished pretty fast (i.e. within 70 days) could I top it, or LST it, or would this just slow growth.

Thanks again! :tiphat::thank you:

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran

Considering the answers, do you think it would be faster to germ a seed, then the moment it has its first fans, I cut them and root them? Or would it be quicker to just let it go on as normal?

Also, sorry about this, but another question I just thought of: if I want to get at least one plant finished pretty fast (i.e. within 70 days) could I top it, or LST it, or would this just slow growth.

Well, sounds to me like you need to get yourself a good book and hunker down and do some reading. There would be logic in cutting a seedling to root it.. you just gave it roots by sprouting it.. You'd most likely kill it trying to do that.. the seedling stage is the most delicate time in the plants life, so any of that sort of thing would surely not be good. As far as a fast turn around, you might want to try one of the autoflower varieties out there. They are usually (in my experience anyway) less potent, but they're easy and fast.. would give you something to do while you're reading your book.

Teehee

Well, sounds to me like you need to get yourself a good book and hunker down and do some reading. There would be logic in cutting a seedling to root it.. you just gave it roots by sprouting it.. You'd most likely kill it trying to do that.. the seedling stage is the most delicate time in the plants life, so any of that sort of thing would surely not be good. As far as a fast turn around, you might want to try one of the autoflower varieties out there. They are usually (in my experience anyway) less potent, but they're easy and fast.. would give you something to do while you're reading your book.

Thanks, although I've done a whole looad of reading, hours and hours worth. It's just that I never read much about clones, as it wasn't really possible for me to do, or, for that matter, indoor growing, as I went guerilla last year, but I've been reading a lot about that in the past few days.

Thanks for the information, although it was a slight exaggeration in first fan leaves, I meant maybe 2nd node. Ok, then, I'll grow direct from seed. I've researched autoflowers, and strains, and I think I know what I'm going for, I was just wondering about topping/LSTing, because I've heard it slows growth, so may slow it too much.

Thanks again loads for the help, sorry for being annoying!! +rep.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran

you need side shoots to clone.. you cant clone a fan leaf???

LST will do nothing for times..

I really don't think you should worry about times, unless doing sativas, which beginners need to stick to indicas dominant first is a good idea..

Latest posts

Latest posts