What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What causes a single finger curl?

goingrey

Like this:

e.jpg

EC is 1.4, pH is 6.2 (I have been letting it rise to about 6.5 and then adjusting it down to about 5.5). RH is pretty high, 60-70%. Strain is CBDenergy from Paradise but I see the same on one CBDrelax (also from Paradise).

goingrey

I think overwatering would be all the fingers not just one?

It is being watered 24/7 though, it's a hydro system. :D Sorry if that wasn't clear from the photo. Water is circulating constantly (not on a timer), so should have ample oxygen too.

And nope not hitting the wall either @zaprjaques.

Thats nothing,just grow on.
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. But it is something, not nothing, and would like to know what.

Prs2xs

I grow in dirt- if I start to see that happening, I let it dry out before watering again. With hydro, maybe set the timer so there is a period of no water flow ( maybe 1/2 hr every 2 hrs) and see if it improves!
JMHO!

goingrey

Yes, do any roots look brown? I've seen reservoirs go bad and start killing roots. Lack of sufficient oxygen can force an overwatering symptom in hydro
There are some brownish blotches but I think it is from the nutes and/or LECA dust not lack of oxygen as it wipes off and doesn't smell bad. Could be the reason though.

goingrey

I grow in dirt- if I start to see that happening, I let it dry out before watering again. With hydro, maybe set the timer so there is a period of no water flow ( maybe 1/2 hr every 2 hrs) and see if it improves!
JMHO!
Hmm I'd need to buy a timer then. :D But maybe I'll try it.

goingrey

That's bacteria, robbing roots of nutes, water, and oxygen
The brown was kind of in the middle so I didn't want to trim it all off and lose half of the roots. So just wiped off the brown for now. At least some of it was clearly just LECA dust though, but maybe not all. Will wait and see how she responds before attempting the same on any of the other plants.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you lower the EC the curl should straighten out. What causes leaf curl is an imbalance of salts between the plant and the substrate. Water always follows salt and never the other way. If you have more salts in the substrate than in the plant the substrate will suck the water out of the plant. The more salt, the more suction the less salt the less suction and less curl. Water always follows salt.

Due to osmosis, water naturally moves from an area containing less salt to an area containing more salt. The more salt that accumulates in the soil from irrigation and natural occurrence, the more energy that a plant must expend to draw water from the soil into its roots.

How does salt affect water uptake in plants?
The high salt concentration (lower osmotic potential) in the soil lowers the water potential (ψ) and makes it harder for plants to take up water. Continuous uptake of NaCl by the root system and delivery to the shoot with the transpiration stream builds up high concentrations of NaCl within leaf cells. googlApr 29, 2023

goingrey

If you lower the EC the curl should straighten out. What causes leaf curl is an imbalance of salts between the plant and the substrate. Water always follows salt and never the other way. If you have more salts in the substrate than in the plant the substrate will suck the water out of the plant. The more salt, the more suction the less salt the less suction and less curl. Water always follows salt.

Due to osmosis, water naturally moves from an area containing less salt to an area containing more salt. The more salt that accumulates in the soil from irrigation and natural occurrence, the more energy that a plant must expend to draw water from the soil into its roots.

How does salt affect water uptake in plants?
The high salt concentration (lower osmotic potential) in the soil lowers the water potential (ψ) and makes it harder for plants to take up water. Continuous uptake of NaCl by the root system and delivery to the shoot with the transpiration stream builds up high concentrations of NaCl within leaf cells. googlApr 29, 2023
Do you think 1.4 is too high? This is two days post flip 50:50 veg:bloom.

I don't have a whole lot of substrate, tiny rockwool cubes and a couple of pebbles in the net pots.

Latest posts

Latest posts