What's new

What cam to get??

lc.genetics

Eyy anyone know of any good cam for plant pics and stuff and closeups and a good macro lense for it?? not too pricey lol

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lc my first question is what's "too pricy" for you? Buy the best you can afford as you'll probably want better shortly after you start shooting. How much do you shoot? Would you want it for all around, family, outdoor, sports, etc as well? You left a lot for us to guess at before advising you. Back soon..DD

what camera you get is only about 1% of how good your photos will come out

learning the features on a camera and how to properly use it are where its at IME

why i recommend you start out with a $120 walmart camera like a sanyo x1400
i used my x1400 to take this shot

213279d1299964588-dj-shorts-vanilluna-luna61days5.jpg

Ruosk

I'd say start up with cheap Nikon or Canon DSLR, it's not that much more expensive and offers tons of options you 1) need 2) need to learn to use. And you can spend tons of money upgrading optics, body, optics, body... lol. A cheap kit will get you started, and quite soon you'll know where your setup falls short. Takes time and practice though, but that's part of the fun.

While we are on the subject, what do you guys think of Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro glass? I'm getting one for 150 euros (or $200), and it seems to be pretty nice deal for the price.

Cameras are way too expensive with all the macros, why not just get usb microscope.Also any one with that maybe can suggest one?Im looking my self right now one of these, is Veho good for trichomes?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As has been mentioned , its a little too vague a question for a specific opinion.

However , if you are getting into photography you cant go wrong with Canon DSLR,s 350D series or better , new or second hand.

Most of the value and image quality is in the lens , Canon retain their value and have the widest choice of new compatible and second user optics available.

Really need a tripod and remote trigger for sharp macros too.

Have tried two different USB microscopes and the image quality is too poor to be worth posting , poor construction and plastic optics combined with buggy software gives a shallow depth of field with chromatic aberrations .

They are capable of examining stamps and similar flat material very well , but not buds.

Ruosk

BTW you can remote control pretty much any Canon DSLR via USB-cable and PC. 16x live view on 24" monitor would be pretty sweet for macro shots :D

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rousk thanks for mentioning this ^ ^..I've done this with my Canon but I was using a manual focus lens. It's great for composing the shot but not for acheiving a good sharp focus. I don't think there's a good auto focus lens out therefor macros so I found the PC hook-up usless and only tried it once..DD

Latest posts

Latest posts