What's new

what book(s) are you reading ?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my most recent (which i'm not finished with yet) is "a sand county almanac" by our nations foremost and possibly first true ecologist, Aldo Leopold. his descriptions of wildlife, wild lands, and how they are intertwined are both rich in his descriptions, and alarming in his prophecies of the dangers of neglecting them. he touches upon topics relevant even today by pointing out (even then!) how many "sportsmen" try to buy "woodsmanship" by purchasing the latest/greatest technotoys instead of learning from the past. God only knows how many tears he would have shed over todays fish finders, "crossbows", GPS, trail cameras, laser range finders, the abusive and flagrant misuse of atvs on public lands, and the sale/destruction of OUR public lands by those prostituting them for the biggest bankrolls... :mad:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Got many books to read through and many more coming;
Matthew Reilly's latest half dozen.
Terry Pratchet's entire Discworld series, all 41 books.
Ben Bova, over 35 books.
Robert Heinlein.
Isaac Asimov.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got many books to read through and many more coming;
Matthew Reilly's latest half dozen.
Terry Pratchet's entire Discworld series, all 41 books.
Ben Bova, over 35 books.
Robert Heinlein.
Isaac Asimov.
i recommend kim stanley robinson mars trilogy
anything by alastair reynolds but in particular the inhibitor cycle
dan simons hyperion series

armedoldhippy

Veteran
nice to come back too after so many years
understand that. i'm going to go back through the original "Foundation" trilogy books and see if they have stood the test of time. some authors work i can read over and over, like Pat Conroy.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
understand that. i'm going to go back through the original "Foundation" trilogy books and see if they have stood the test of time. some authors work i can read over and over, like Pat Conroy.
They have made series 1 and 2 of Foundation for TV, I have no idea whether it is accurate to the books or not.

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
IMG_2842.jpeg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Ernest Hemingway - "On Hunting" excerpts from many of his books pertaining to the hunting of animals, birds, and humans. "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is a short story that needs reading ...

troutman

Seed Whore
The Art of Japanese Sword Polishing is what I'm reading. :ninja:

This is the first book in English to examine in great detail the polisher's techniques,
for which they may apprentice for as long as ten years. It illustrates the methods,
materials, and tools used for this process.

Hatery1967

only book i ever owned never read buddy wrote he aint here anymore he was a wild kind soul always had whiskey flowin and head full of psilocybin. someday i will try n give it a go

Before that I read “The Battle for the Old Kingdom: An Epic History of Ancient Egypt” by Toby Wilkinson. This book tells about the amazing history of Ancient Egypt, its pharaohs and culture. This is a fascinating journey into the past and I enjoyed every page of this book. I'm reading books about real events nowadays. This can be historical literature, biographies, investigations, and other works that tell about real events and persons. I even had to find a personal statement writing service for college, I just don’t have time and use https://ca.edubirdie.com/personal-statement-writing-service for this. This way I have more time. Reading about real events helps me broaden my horizons and better understand the world around me.
Yeah, that's life, nothing to add.

Last edited:

goingrey

1695833318504.png

Bought from the display case in Siberie (last copy they had). Tons of weed and hash must have been smoked next to it and got infused in the pages. Also a tiny piece of hash stuck to the back cover lol. Pretty cool I think!

The book itself is also a pretty cool index. Some of the coffeeshop descriptions are pretty generic though. "They have weed and hash on the menu", you don't say...

Gry

Veteran
I. F. Stone's "Hidden History on the Korean War,"and "All Honorable Men"