What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
It tastes seafoods, the stuffed clams. It's like stuffing with little bits of clam and shrimp and lobster in a bunch of stuffing that you cook inside the clam shell. They're delicious. You need 2-3. They're at most places near here, supermarket and restaurants but not in fast food places.
What kind of food do you have out there?

Cuddles

had a seafood place close by that had butterflied jumbo shrimp. they'd heap stuffing on top of those (no way to "stuff" even a BIG shrimp) and broil them lying in garlic butter. a friends brother bought the place, and gutted their menu...:cry:
so what type of food do they now serve?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
What kind of food do you have out there?
too many burger places to suit me. got a couple of GREAT Italian food places, Guiseppes is the best in spite of local media pushing a place called The Black Olive. got the Chop House, serving inch and a half thick pork chops! :yummy: a couple of decent BBQ spots. sadly, the very best ones went under, and the mediocre ones hung on. :shucks: not sure how that happened... latest one is only open on weekends, you have to order ribs ahead of time. i hope they make it!

Cuddles

still mostly seafood, but they removed ALL of my favorites from the menu...bastards! :cry: :dunno:
you should sue them! :biggrin:
One of the chinese restaurants I used to go to since childhood closed one day and then it was all sorts of places but NOT chinese! I couldn´t take them to court because it would look kinda racist , lol :biglaugh:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I'd like to try the rib place where you order a day ahead that sounds good let's go
ALL of their regular employees still have day jobs during the week, so they aren't open then. the owner cooks most of the week, so he is there to answer the phone if you call and order ribs for Saturday or Sunday. as far as i know, it is the ONLY BBQ spot around here open on Sunday. most/all of the rest are also closed Mondays, so employees have 2 days off. they do chicken and brisket as well, and make all of their sides in-house. i'm not a big brisket fan, but the sample they gave me last trip got me to thinking...:unsure::yummy: it's The Swifty Pig, in Sulphur Springs outside of Jonesborough. supposed to be a new BBQ opening up there as well. :woohoo:

Cuddles

ALL of their regular employees still have day jobs during the week, so they aren't open then. the owner cooks most of the week, so he is there to answer the phone if you call and order ribs for Saturday or Sunday. as far as i know, it is the ONLY BBQ spot around here open on Sunday. most/all of the rest are also closed Mondays, so employees have 2 days off. they do chicken and brisket as well, and make all of their sides in-house. i'm not a big brisket fan, but the sample they gave me last trip got me to thinking...:unsure::yummy: it's The Swifty Pig, in Sulphur Springs outside of Jonesborough. supposed to be a new BBQ opening up there as well. :woohoo:
wow, opening hours aside, I bet it´s really good :)
I heard about a restaurant somewhere in america and people stand in line and wait for hours on end to get in. Often people go home empty handed as they can´t get a table OR they´re simply sold out!
It´s suppose to be amazing and the best bbq place ever.

Pasta e Fagioli. Or a vegetarian variation anyway. All organic. And I do use cranberry beans which are relatively expensive but worth it in my opinion.

pef.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
wow, opening hours aside, I bet it´s really good :)
I heard about a restaurant somewhere in america and people stand in line and wait for hours on end to get in. Often people go home empty handed as they can´t get a table OR they´re simply sold out!
It´s suppose to be amazing and the best bbq place ever.
Ridgewood outside of Elizabethton wins awards yearly. it's not the best in the country, but pretty damn good. if you are not inside the place by a certain time, they lock the door & you are SOL. i'm not sure why so many folks go there, they don't serve ribs! WTF??? took my youngest son there for his birthday a few years back. stood in line for an hour, got in, he looked at the menu and said "let's go. these fools don't have ribs..." that's my boy! :cool:

Cuddles

Ridgewood outside of Elizabethton wins awards yearly. it's not the best in the country, but pretty damn good. if you are not inside the place by a certain time, they lock the door & you are SOL. i'm not sure why so many folks go there, they don't serve ribs! WTF??? took my youngest son there for his birthday a few years back. stood in line for an hour, got in, he looked at the menu and said "let's go. these fools don't have ribs..." that's my boy! :cool:
I think the place I heard of is mostly known for their smoked and pulled stuff but I could be mistaken. But I do think they do ribs as well. Can´t be 100% certain however as it was a few years ago ;)

jokerman

Premium user
Thanks, dude. I eat it damn near everyday. I swear it has medicinal properties.
Love a recipe cause I would cook that little beauty.
I have such a great appreciation for soup.
My Mother made a lot of great soups and we as kids didnt realize it then !
I grew and made a lot of leak soup this year.
Soup is kinda a perfect food so to speak.
As long as you dont wash it down with a loaf of bread🙄
maybe 1/2 a loaf TBH

mike-or-ozzy

maybe 1/2 a loaf TBH

Damn right fellas, I use soup on rice, potatos, beans or meat, its all good.

maybe 1/2 a loaf TBH
OK, it's not written down but I'll give it a shot. These measurements are approximate. Also, I'm not Italian and this is not authentic. It is inspired by Italian-American versions I've had in New York. This recipe has changed a lot over the years and even now I don't make it exactly the same way every time. And adjust this to your taste because I use more of some ingredients than most people would including pasta, olive oil, carrots, red pepper, etc.

2 cups dried cranberry beans
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
3 medium cloves garlic
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried parsley (or use fresh, Italian is better but curly will work)
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil (maybe 3/4 cup; I'm not too confident in some of these measurements)
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese
one 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (preferably with no citric acid or potassium chloride)
7 oz tomato paste

Rinse the beans. Put the beans in a pressure cooker with 6 cups cups of water. Cook 30 minutes on the high pressure setting. Let sit 15 minutes before releasing the valve. Pour off half the liquid and save the other half for the broth. You don't have to use a pressure cooker of course but it's easier and they come out perfect this way.

In a big soup pot, add the olive oil and garlic. I like to cook the cloves in the olive oil until they're blonde and just starting to brown and then I mash them against the sides of the pot. But whatever -- chop it or use a garlic press... Your choice.

Before the garlic browns, add the butter, onion and carrots and cook that a few minutes, again -- not to the browning point.

I think I add the salt, red pepper, oregano and parsley at this point.

Then add the celery and cook a couple minutes

Then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and bring that to a simmer.

Then add the beans with their remaining liquid and bring that to a simmer.

Then remove from heat and quickly stir in the 1/4 cup parmesean cheese until it's dissolved and make sure it's not sticking to the bottom of the pot or clumping together. Keep that in the fridge. For me that's about 7 large servings I think.

Then to make the soup, boil some pasta (I use orechiette but you might prefer small shells or tubetti or whatever) using just enough water to cover it and keep it from sticking to the pot. When it's about half cooked, add maybe one cup of the beans mixture per serving and simmer until the pasta is fully cooked. Basically just get the pasta:beans ratio the way you like it which for me leans a little to the pasta side. And add water as you do this if necessary so you've got a bit of a broth there, albeit a pretty thin broth. Again this is to taste -- some people prefer not much broth at all.

I think that's mostly right but I may need to edit that.