What's new

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Reverse sear? No. Nor sous vide or any other nouveau roast cooking method. You stick a hunk of meat in a pan and you roast the damn thing. It is so easy that I don’t know why people want to complicate it. My mother was a pot roast Sunday cook. It was usually tough and it was always well done. When I gained independence, I quickly realized that cooking is a very necessary part of life and that I liked doing it and that I was good at it. And I learned about medium rare.

And yes moose, 95% of the time I roast beef or pork, I make a pan of Yorkshire pud. In fact, the family always clamoured for it, with my tribe of young’uns fighting over the puffiest one in the bowl.

Cuddles

I took a college class and have raised bees.never used a smoker or a suit.ya really just gotta feel them out.been thinking about getting back into it.its expensive as all hell but manuka honey is literally the bees knees
I learned about manuka honey a while back and looked into it because it´s suppose to be really good for you. I nearly fainted when I saw how much it costs to buy a small jar!

I honestly didn´t think that keeping bees is so costly. Why is this?

Reactions: Gry

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Sous vide is nice convenient but i understand that some chefs don't like it because it lacks flavour.
Best way to cook a steak is imo pan sear extra hot and then 15-20min(=medium rare) at 70°C(158F) in the oven. This will make the meat extra tender

shithawk420

Veteran
I learned about manuka honey a while back and looked into it because it´s suppose to be really good for you. I nearly fainted when I saw how much it costs to buy a small jar!

I honestly didn´t think that keeping bees is so costly. Why is this?
A small jar of manuka honey is at least $20.the reason it's so expensive if I remember right is it comes from New Zealand and it's the purest honey I know of.typically bees like to hunt for pollen.so there's different types of pollen making the honey.but when you have something so pure it's different.hard to describe.heres a fun fact.any female bee can become a queen.its the Royal Jelly that is made and produced by the other bees.and if somehow there are 2 queens they fight to the death.honestly I don't even know where to get royal jelly.that shit is liquid gold

shithawk420

Veteran
Pancakes from a bodega? That's gonna be a no from me dog.gonna need plenty of syrup and butter to moisten those dry puppies up! Lol just messing with you

Cuddles

A small jar of manuka honey is at least $20.the reason it's so expensive if I remember right is it comes from New Zealand and it's the purest honey I know of.typically bees like to hunt for pollen.so there's different types of pollen making the honey.but when you have something so pure it's different.hard to describe.heres a fun fact.any female bee can become a queen.its the Royal Jelly that is made and produced by the other bees.and if somehow there are 2 queens they fight to the death.honestly I don't even know where to get royal jelly.that shit is liquid gold
There was something else about bees from NZ I saw on TV ages ago. Apparantly the queens from NZ are really sought after in many other countries and people pay good money for them!
New Zealand is so far away from a lot of the pollution so their produce - be it honey or other foods are just much cleaner.

I had a chance to try lamb from NZ recently - got a leg of lamb over easter and I must say that this lamb along with the imported from Australia are 10000 times better than the meat we get here locally!

shithawk420

Veteran
There was something else about bees from NZ I saw on TV ages ago. Apparantly the queens from NZ are really sought after in many other countries and people pay good money for them!
New Zealand is so far away from a lot of the pollution so their produce - be it honey or other foods are just much cleaner.

I had a chance to try lamb from NZ recently - got a leg of lamb over easter and I must say that this lamb along with the imported from Australia are 10000 times better than the meat we get here locally!
Ohh! I'm jealous.out here lamb is more rare and we used to be meat brokers.some of the best meat ever.

As far as honey bees here in the states they are usually Italian hybrids and are breed to be docile.i honestly don't know much about NZ bees.the whole country is a mystery to us Yanks lol

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
We are having this tonight . . .

IMG-2818.jpg

OK . . . actually only a couple of steaks cut from it. I spent about 5 hours last night and this morning trimming and cutting 3 of these behemoths. That one is 4.55 kg. One of our locals had it on sale – the first tenderloin sale in months. After all was cut up, the math says a nice 7 – 8 oz filet cost about $7.50 and we got a mess of them. We also got 5 or 6 stir fry or kebob meals out of the bigger scraps and the dog and the cat get the real crumbs . . . so it is actually pretty budget friendly. Far better than buying round or sirloin steaks for the same price (or more!) off the shelf.

I do realize however, that a lot of the world doesn’t ever see beef like this so please don’t yell at me.

shithawk420

Veteran

View attachment 18130198

OK . . . actually only a couple of steaks cut from it. I spent about 5 hours last night and this morning trimming and cutting 3 of these behemoths. That one is 4.55 kg. One of our locals had it on sale – the first tenderloin sale in months. After all was cut up, the math says a nice 7 – 8 oz filet cost about $7.50 and we got a mess of them. We also got 5 or 6 stir fry or kebob meals out of the bigger scraps and the dog and the cat get the real crumbs . . . so it is actually pretty budget friendly. Far better than buying round or sirloin steaks for the same price (or more!) off the shelf.

I do realize however, that a lot of the world doesn’t ever see beef like this so please don’t yell at me.
Damn.looks like you got your work cut out literally lol I hope you trim the membrane.but that's nice tenderloin.id like to see the final product.

Cuddles

Ohh! I'm jealous.out here lamb is more rare and we used to be meat brokers.some of the best meat ever.

As far as honey bees here in the states they are usually Italian hybrids and are breed to be docile.i honestly don't know much about NZ bees.the whole country is a mystery to us Yanks lol
lamb is pretty rare here too! I usually have to go to a muslim butcher to get any but their meat is local. Like I said aussie and kiwi lamb is tastes soooo much better.

Cuddles

View attachment 18130198

to me this looks like what we over here call filet and I´m very jealous! Not just because I haven´t had some in absolute ages but because it´s simply toooo expensive. It´s a lot more expensive over here.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Damn.looks like you got your work cut out literally lol I hope you trim the membrane.but that's nice tenderloin.id like to see the final product.

It takes about 45 minutes to trim it properly but then I am not new to it. The outer membrane is easy, it's chasing the membrane etc that dives into the meat that takes the time. It is now resting peacefully in our freezer. And . . . drum roll . . . I only cut myself once - a knife graze to a finger - just a touch. Which I consider an accomplishment btw. :rasta:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Use sharper knife next time for even less cuts! Maybe a filleting knife too? What u have there seems like a general use chefs knife. Enjoy the meat, man! :wave: :

shithawk420

Veteran
explosiv said exactly what I was gonna say.a sharp knive is a chef's best friend.a nice cut of beef like that needs a nice Japanese knive.just don't smoke a joint and get careless though.those bastards are so sharp you could cut off a finger,bleed out and not even know it.ive had a few close calls.luckily I still have my digits

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I have 3 sizes of Wusthof's that I keep sharp but that big one is always my go to. I have a 9 inch and a 5 1/2" little pig sticker for other jobs.

I do not need a sharper knife. I bleed enough as it is with the ones I have. :rasta:

PS - the steak was crazy good with a pat of garlic butter . . .

shithawk420

Veteran
Ha! My man! Next time I can I'll show you guys a $80 porterhouse from the butcher in the big ole Midwest of merica! Doubt most people could finish them.

moose eater

Deep-fried North Pacific/Alaska cod fillets in similar breading as the sea scallops the other day (my wife turned down the offer of a thin tempura beer batter for the fish), with a fresh batch of homemade tartar sauce, a bitter melon smoothie (cancer regimen, but doesn't taste too bad), French-fried sweet red garnet yams, organic romaine and baby spinach salad with organic broccoli, organic celery, organic zucchini squash slices, organic button-top white mushrooms, Alaska-grown carrots, and chia seeds. Followed by RO H2O and cold straight chaga tea x 20-oz.

Reactions: Gry

Latest posts

Latest posts