What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

rod58

It's new years eve in the land of OZ , having a few bottles of homebrew beer , coopers lager , and a tipple of chivas scotch whiskey . much good but even better is beer battered chips and fresh crayfish !
happy new years people !
picture.php
picture.php

shithawk420

Veteran
Damn,nice rod! That's a fucking crayfish!? Looks big as a lobster.and I've never beer battered potatoes.have to give it a try

rod58

yeah sorry hawk , you say lobster , we say crayfish ..same same .
weighed about 400 grams . bit ho hum i reckon . prefer crab any day .
rissole leftover from yesterday and a duck egg .

Green Squall

Got a couple cornish hens on deck for roasting tomorrow. I've stuffed birds in the past with citrus, herbs, celery, etc, but the flavor has never come out. Frankly, I think its a waste of money and more of a presentation thing. Seasoning the outside is more important imo. Happy New Years and cheers to a better 2021!

G

Got a couple cornish hens on deck for roasting tomorrow. I've stuffed birds in the past with citrus, herbs, celery, etc, but the flavor has never come out. Frankly, I think its a waste of money and more of a presentation thing. Seasoning the outside is more important imo. Happy New Years and cheers to a better 2021!

Haven't had Cornish game hens in forever, but used to eat them when I was a kid. My mother liked to make them, but my wife doesn't care for them.

I liked them best roasted and stuffed with wild rice dressing, with water chestnuts (unhealthy in general), brown rice, wild rice, giblets and fresh oysters. I thought they were excellent that way.

Costco in town had them at about 6 birds in a package for about $21 and I considered it, then decided to respect my wife's lack of attraction to them.
-------------------------------------

Just finished nearly a quarter of a decent-size organic spaghetti squash, VERY lightly dusted with cinnamon, and a bit of butter and ground black pepper.

Occasionally not even trying to mix the medicinal sprouted broccoli seeds/sprouts with much these days, instead sometimes shoveling what I deem to be about 2-4 oz. of the things at a time into my mouth, plain; they're only half as bad as the 50th bite of bland vegetarian cuisine when one's not really hungry..

Spaghetti squash, on the other hand, with the VERY light dusting of cinnamon, went from being an almost flavorless healthy pasta substitute, to being something I could eat a fair bit of without gagging.

Next up: decarboxylated CBD flowers. YUMMY!!

To be followed by a lime seltzer water, and maybe later, a tiny glass of a Spanish champagne or sparkling wine.

Green Squall

Its not something I eat often either, but when I saw them, I realized its been far too long. Although I'm not going to stuff them, I'm intrigued to hear oysters were part of your recipe. Price wise, I think I paid a little less than $9 USD for the pair. Good deal as far as I'm concerned and I plan on making a broth with the carcasses. And if I may say so, good call on not buying them if your wife has an aversion to them. Sometimes we all have to make sacrifices!

shithawk420

Veteran
They have so little meat on them I can see why she might not think it's worth it.if I'm just cooking for my self I will buy them.id prefer not wasting a whole chicken if it's just me.interesting stuffing for sure moose.ill try that one day

armedoldhippy

Veteran
used to have game hens after bobwhites virtually disappeared. been wanting a couple for some time now. will damn sure try the oyster dressing. need some oysters in the shell to grill out anyway...:yummy:

rod58

crumbed and deep fried dhu-fish fillets and beer battered chips . then a rum and raisin flovoured ice cream . full as a goog !

armedoldhippy

Veteran
fixed ribs in the oven. slathered them w/various spices & slow-cooked them at 300 D for 3 1/2 hours. ate my home-made pecan pie for dessert. not gonna lose that extra weight like that, though...:)

G

Steamed organic cabbage, organic zucchini squash, and organic broccoli.

5 unsalted, raw almonds.

A couple pinches of organic broccoli seed sprouts, approximating 2-4 oz. Closer to 4, I hope.

Black French Roast coffee, RO H2O, and a seltzer water.

Might be getting close to another town trip. Down to fewer than 1 dozen seltzer waters, which has been one of the frills of the pandemic; lock-in with an unending supply of fizzing, spring or (worst case scenario) canned water from some urban hell hole, where we pay to sip canned water with CO2 added, from places like Cincinnati, Chicago, or ???

Things to ponder...

G

A small amount of cheating here at the moment. My wife made a tamale pie sort of affair. Something similar to what I concocted almost 20 years ago.

This one with long-time left over dry masa, about 1-1/2 to 2 lbs lean ground moose burger, some diced organic tomatoes, cumin, chili [powder, cayenne, micro amount of oregano (regular, didn't have Mexican), lard for the masa, organic white sweet corn, garlic, sweet onion, and not sure what else. Baked it for about an hour, covered, with a [pan of hot H2O in the bottom of the oven to keep the cook time humid.

Only cut a square piece measuring about <2" square, by about 2-1/4" tall, and have to leave it at that, due to masa, corn, carbohydrates, and meat proteins feeding the cancer, but MAN!!!!!!!!!! Tasty stuff. All 6 cu. inches of it.

rod58

had lamb chops , roasted baby potatoes . some tinned sliced beetroot and some baked beans . that sorted the last of the leftovers out !
then rockmelon and rum n raisin icecream . was much good !

Green Squall

I found ground pasture raised venison from New Zealand in the grocery store. Fucking delicious. I'll take this over beef any day.

G

I found ground pasture raised venison from New Zealand in the grocery store. Fucking delicious. I'll take this over beef any day.

What kind of deer? And how much per lb.

I'm mostly abstaining from meats, dairy, fish, etc. for health reasons, but in the store this evening, they had really plump little marbled lamb chops, and they'd knocked $2/lb off, so they were only $4.99/lb.

Had to score them, but they're for another day, when I suspect I'll do a light curry sauce, with veggies, sear the chops first, then make sure they are submerged in the 'sauce' and veggies, and simmer them for a bit. Perhaps have some with some dried garbanzos/rams' heads, soaked, boiled, drained, and lightly seasoned.

For tonight, it was vegan lentils in a chili and curry sauce. Very tasty, someone else made it, it was hot, and thereby suited the bill quite nicely.

Green Squall

What kind of deer? And how much per lb.

I'm mostly abstaining from meats, dairy, fish, etc. for health reasons, but in the store this evening, they had really plump little marbled lamb chops, and they'd knocked $2/lb off, so they were only $4.99/lb.

Had to score them, but they're for another day, when I suspect I'll do a light curry sauce, with veggies, sear the chops first, then make sure they are submerged in the 'sauce' and veggies, and simmer them for a bit. Perhaps have some with some dried garbanzos/rams' heads, soaked, boiled, drained, and lightly seasoned.

For tonight, it was vegan lentils in a chili and curry sauce. Very tasty, someone else made it, it was hot, and thereby suited the bill quite nicely.

I threw out the package, so I'm not sure what kind of deer it was, but it was only $7.99, on sale for $6.99 - - much cheaper than what I pay for the ground bison. I've had wild venison many times, so I'm no stranger to the flavor and this stuff impressed me. 95% lean with no hormones or antibiotics.

Gotta love the lamb. We had a leg on x-mas and I'm still thinking about it. And good for you for drastically reducing your meat intake. As someone who has had to make sacrifices in the food department for health reasons, I know it can be tough. Even though I quit plant based, I still try to include as much fiber as possible because its good for the gut! Fuck, I never thought eating could be so complicated lol.

G

I threw out the package, so I'm not sure what kind of deer it was, but it was only $7.99, on sale for $6.99 - - much cheaper than what I pay for the ground bison. I've had wild venison many times, so I'm no stranger to the flavor and this stuff impressed me. 95% lean with no hormones or antibiotics.

Gotta love the lamb. We had a leg on x-mas and I'm still thinking about it. And good for you for drastically reducing your meat intake. As someone who has had to make sacrifices in the food department for health reasons, I know it can be tough. Even though I quit plant based, I still try to include as much fiber as possible because its good for the gut! Fuck, I never thought eating could be so complicated lol.

I figure that for those of us who've engaged in excesses for decades (me, in particular), from what I can gather, if there is a supreme Deity, it seems they get a peculiar joy out of making those of us who walked too much on the wilder side, to suffer, and the primary method seems to be denying us every things we'd otherwise be eating, if it weren't for health reasons.

There's been times when a meal here was literally MEAT.

We're all born ignorant, but once we take the things we loved to do, eat, etc., and start looking at them from a scientific perspective... it is clear to me that life is a learning process, and THEN some. I had ZERO clue what sorts of things cancer and other maladies can thrive on.

Or, another way of looking at it, I'd guess, would be some satirically exaggerated surprise, exclaiming, "Hey!!! Cancer likes the same things I do!!!"

I've eaten Sitka Black Tail venison (they range all through SE Alaska over into Kodiak Island and surrounding Islands, and a bit in more isolated South Central Alaska.

We ate White Tail Deer in Michigan and Pennsylvania when I was much younger.

Can't say for sure if I've eaten mule deer, though I recollect that I did.

Of all of them, Sitka Black Tail is second in desirable flavor to Dall Sheep (more loosely and somewhat incorrectly called mountain sheep, as well). The Dall Sheep have a very slight hint of that delicious lamb flavor, but not as fatted, as they tend to live on lichen, etc.

A collection of Sitka Black Tail venison (they run small, often only getting maybe 50-65 lbs. of meat from a whole deer) round steaks in a brown gravy, with the top round steaks floured, spiced, seared, and then simmered in a gravy with LOTS of mushrooms, maybe just a hint of tomato paste, onions and garlic, and let 'em simmer until they are ready to fall apart... MAN!! That gravy over mashed potatoes... Again, MAN!

--------------------------------------

Anyway, just chewed up my my decarboxylated CBD flowers, swilled down with a grapefruit seltzer water, a half-dozen raw unsalted almonds, and a small handful of smoked almonds & sprouted pumpkin seeds.

Now onto medical paperwork, another water, and get to bed early enough to be on the road tomorrow morning at just after 7:00 A.M., in order to see my favorite primary care Doc.