What's new

WHAT ARE THESE????

I use rain water to water my plants. I have a 50 gallon drum under the gutter to catch plenty of water for me. I them bring it up and put it into my res. Recently I noticed these little bugs in the water so I havent used it since until I find out what they are. I finally snapped a few pix today. Hope they help. I'm thinking they're mosquito larve.I'm using Organic nutes so what could I do to get rid of them? Would I be able to add some Peroxide or bleach in to kill them off? I dont want to harm the bacteria from the organics....So any help or info would be great! Thanks for the info :joint:

G

hello smokey :joint:
thats sounds like an excellent answer to me my friend, do not use that water in your rez bro....if your going to use it you MUST strain it out some how, lemon joy dish soap will kill them but then you would have to get the soap out.....thats some pretty nasty looking water even with the larva not present, have you used this type water before?.....
yuakkkk :chin:

G

Would I be able to add some Peroxide or bleach in to kill them off?
no. go pick up a package of mosquito dunks at home depot. you can boil it also. good luck.

I

irie-i

aqua-bec, its a bacillus bacteria that can kill the larvae, it also kills fungus root gnat larvae in your soil. i think its bacullus israelienses

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
baccillus thuringiensis (subspecies israelensis) to be exact

its the active ingredient in the following products.... (among others)
gnatrol
mosquito dunks
bayer mosquito preventer

Though, in your case the best bet would be to just use the dunks in you 50 gallon drum. It would probably be a good idea to put something over the drum that has a tight weave to strain out all that other stuff as the rainwater is collected. Maybe some cheesecloth :confused:

Peace,
Beans

Thanks everyone for the info. I was thinking mosquito larve so At least I'm on the right track insect wise. As for getting rid of them....I'll probably strain it with some cheese cloth or screen somehow maybe. I dont see how they'd hurt my plants in any way though...they'd die once on the soil right? It seems the ones I took out for the pix were dieing within 30 minutes out of the water.

JAWS... for how dirty the water looked...that was at the bottom of the rez...not bad sediment buildup for 50 gallons of water I think. I test the water everytime I use it....It's never been above 30 PPM and average PH is 6. Pretty damn good in my eyes for being free all natural water.

Would the DUNKS raise the PH and PPM of the water that much? I'll be using MUCH more water now that the new room is setup....room for 50 not 10 plants....So I'll be going through it faster...maybe they wont have time to hatch.

ONCE AGAIN....THANKS FOR THE HELP AND INFO!

Latest posts

Latest posts