What's new

What are the best balasts out there?

intotheunknown

Veteran
I've been running digital Nextgen ballasts for a few years now. Not an issue besides a noisy fan due to some dust, other than that they've done me right.

shredGnar

Thanks man, I went to growershouse and they have them this month 168$ delivered! Do you use the digilux with it? Their prices are pretty good. Could of swore I was paying 100 at the grow store for a hortilux back when. Digilux- under 60 Bucks.

I use hortilux's super hps.. That same site has them for $75 I believe.. Literally half what my local shop charges after taxes..

S

SooperSmurph

I highly recommend Universal Garden Supply's brand of ballasts, whether the basic E-Fusion or the more expensive computerized one, met the rep one day by chance at a grow store, and now I buy all my hoods, ballasts, and bulbs through these guys, right off the line these guys are producing products that are every bit the equal of the premium lines I was already using, the ballasts i've used side by side with Badasses, Lumateks, Quantums, and Phantoms, and the only thing i'd knock on the E-Fusion vs any of those other brands is the size, as far as size goes, I really like the slim profile on the Quantum.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
I highly recommend Universal Garden Supply's brand of ballasts, whether the basic E-Fusion or the more expensive computerized one, met the rep one day by chance at a grow store, and now I buy all my hoods, ballasts, and bulbs through these guys, right off the line these guys are producing products that are every bit the equal of the premium lines I was already using, the ballasts i've used side by side with Badasses, Lumateks, Quantums, and Phantoms, and the only thing i'd knock on the E-Fusion vs any of those other brands is the size, as far as size goes, I really like the slim profile on the Quantum.
Sounds like this quantum is a pretty good unit. Does anyone have any experience with it or know how long they been putting them out? Do they have a fan in em that can go out?

Biosynthesis

Veteran
I think its going to be hard to beat quantum 1kw ballast delivered for 168$. Has anyone been running them longer than a few years? a good ballast should last a forever.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Anyone run Hypotek, Ultragrow, Uno, Crop King?

Haven't heard anyone really talking about these...

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
most of the top brands are good. you just need to find one you like at the right price. I have 3 diferant Ballast. Lumatek ,Cap Nano and a Matrix Solis-Tek. They all have performed with no issues. The Lumatek has been running for 4 years now. Over the past 15 years I have used Lumitek the most. All have worked over 5 years..

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Is any ballast just as powerfull as the next and they all fire the bulb so to speak or do some make a bulb burn brighter?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a diferance between mags and digital. Digital-Digital I have never noticed any diferance.

S

SooperSmurph

The Quantums I have have been running for 1 and 2 years respectively, one of them got a nasty amount of nutes spilled onto it one day, both still run just fine, including fan.

Lot of the brand name digitals will be the same but there are some that just suck ass.

People will say oh this is the best blah blah but why? What makes is so better? Just because you have a batch that is running OK someone else got the shitty batch.

If you want reliability you need to go with a copper coil ballast either from Venture/Sylvania/Advanced (not AN nutrients) usually if they are vented properly they'll last 10+ years. You might have to replace an igniter or capacitor once in a while.

Now having said that if you need quick replacement and you're LHS cares about customer service most stores will replace digitals on the stop or in a few days. If its a few days its probably because the wholesaler makes them fill out a 'warranty" request paper work before they get credit for the ballast.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
I love my Quantum 600w dimmable ballast. I have had mine for almost a year now....and the thing has been running all this time without a hiccup. It gets a little warm to the touch...and the fan noise is slightly audible...but still a better noise than the hum of a mag ballast.....

I have had to replace my mag ballast like 2 times in the past few years....

GO WITH QUANTUM!!!!

The digilux bulbs are fantastic as well!

TpM

usda101

Bingo HydroS . Can u hook us up on where to order parts ? And i also asked if replacing Ignitor an capacitor will bring ballast up to new status or are there other parts to be replaced ? I run Mag 1ks . Thanks in advance

I have had to replace my mag ballast like 2 times in the past few years....

Thats probably because you got SHIT Chinese aluminum core ballasts. They are simply shit. You need to go with a brand name ballast like Venture/GE/Sulvania/Advanced. Now having said that capacitors and ignitors do go but rarely with "quality" ballast.

Now here's the thing. You can spend $85-90 for a Chinese raw ballast or $20 for a brand name ballast. You'll be replacing the Chinese one in a year.

Bingo HydroS . Can u hook us up on where to order parts ? And i also asked if replacing Ignitor an capacitor will bring ballast up to new status or are there other parts to be replaced ? I run Mag 1ks . Thanks in advance

If you have a 1000W HPS ballast and you have a 1000W MH bulb on hand, try to ingite the MH bulbs with the HPS ballast.

If it lights up and not an HPS bulb then the ignitor is gone. If the MH doesn't light up 99% its the capacitor.

For the capacitor you want a 26uF cap and a 1000W HID ignitor. Check the strike distance of the ignitor. The cheap ones are only good for 15 feet.

Also some people will use 32uF caps. DONT do it, too much of a chance to burn your place down for extra light.

An ignitor and Cap should be around $35/40 each.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thanks man. A balast stopped working on me recently. I put a metal halide in it before switching it from HPS. do you think this was the cause?

Thanks man. A balast stopped working on me recently. I put a metal halide in it before switching it from HPS. do you think this was the cause?

Not likely. It'll do more damage to the bulb than the bulb to the ballast. If you look at the capacitor and its swolen then for some reason it got hot and expanded.

If the MH stopped working in the ballast but is working on another one than 98% sure its the ingnitor as the MH bulb has a ignitor built into it. Now thats also why a MH will burn out faster in a HPS ballast as its beeing fired twice. Once from the ballast ignitor and second time from its on built in ignitor.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran

Buds Bundy answered the cap/ignitor question. Pay attention to the uF rating for sure. Dry film capacitors are better than liquid can types.

Ignitor and Capacitor are the only things you'll need to replace. A 20 year old ballast will function like new.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Latest posts

Latest posts