What's new

what are my plants missing? (whiteberry and opium)

mixin

i have these 2 whiteberry and 1 opium plant vegging and they are growing great. nice growth from both although the opium is growing quicker and looking great except that i have been noticing that the leaves all the plants is yellowing towards the outer leaf. its hard to take a good pic under the bright mh light, but i did the best i could.

i know the plants are either missing something or getting locked out? they have been given minimal nutes so far. i am growing with a pro-mix mixture with wormcastings, humus, perlite. just upgraded to botanicare stuff so they have been giving light doses of everything. so far they have had some liquid karma, pbp grow, sweet, and hygrozyme. i don't think i have been overwatering. they are watered maybe every 2-3 days.

here are some pics. there is yellowing towards the edges
mixin-albums-whiteberry-opium-picture23488-yellow-leaf-edges-3.jpg

mixin-albums-whiteberry-opium-picture23487-yellow-leaf-edges-2.jpg

mixin-albums-whiteberry-opium-picture23486-yellow-leaf-edges.jpg

any help would be great.

Weedninja

It's kind of hard to tell from your pics, but to me, they look like mag(deficiency) stripes. Did the lime you used contain mag? What's your pH ?

mixin

i am not sure about ph, i have been only ph'ing my water with nutes. i thought it might be a calcium or mag problem too but i am a newbie really.. i did buy botanicare cal mag plus though so if that is the problem i got a instant fix for it

Kinderfeld

mixin said:
i am not sure about ph,

Dude come on you know better, even if you say you are a newb, not matter WHAT the problem is you need to rule PH out #1...because a lockout and deficiency are two TOTALLY different things...

Plant stage (as in how many weeks in veg)?
How big are pots?
How high are lights from top?

given ph isn't too low...I am guessing its mag def, lights too close or too small pots.

Last edited:

mixin

i did a quick soil probe test and it looks like the ph is around 7.5 (if its actually accurate to start with.

here is what they are in

mixin-albums-whiteberry-opium-picture23620-veggin-out.jpg

mixin-albums-whiteberry-opium-picture23621-veggin-out-2.jpg

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Pot size looks correct, if a bit on the tight side, but a re-pot will be needed fairly soon.
Soil mix sounds reasonable unless you added too MUCH lime.
I wonder if you are over-watering at all?
The leaf shape looks healthy but my take on it is that your magnesium is being locked out by a pH and/or over-watering issue. They often go hand in hand.
A light foliar feed with epsom salts at 1/2 teaspoon per quart, plus one drop dish soap, applied daily for the next few days, should halt the spread of the deficiency while you sort out its cause.

How dry do you let the soil get?
Is there a way to get your pH number for the runoff out the bottom of the pot? If so, you'll want to confirm your soil pH with a runoff test, and give the next watering at a pH closer to 6.0-6.5 to drop the runoff pH below 7.
Also, the soil pH probes are not necessarily accurate. Grab a $7 bottle of drop indicator to confirm.
Last, once you take care of the symptoms of the mag def, you should be looking for evidence of how hungry the plants are overall and re-assess the feeding dosage you are giving them. I suspect it's slightly low, but get your soil figured out first.

mixin

i really don't think i have been overwatering. i make sure i water with a ph of usually 5.5 to 6.

what should i do if i added too much lime?

mixin

Kinderfeld said:
Dude come on you know better, even if you say you are a newb, not matter WHAT the problem is you need to rule PH out #1...because a lockout and deficiency are two TOTALLY different things...

i am super attentive to my ph in my bubble cloner. although when i started indoor soil i have read that ph can be just fine up around 7.5. so i just mix my nutes, ph it to around 6 and water.

i am starting to wonder if i simply mixed in too much lime into my mix. exactly what would too much lime do to a plant? and will a simple flush help correct it?

update: i just found my powdered soil doctor lime mix and it says it has 17% magnesium

could this simply be a nitrogen deficiency then?

Weedninja

mixin said:
i really don't think i have been overwatering. i make sure i water with a ph of usually 5.5 to 6.

what should i do if i added too much lime?

Flush. If you take a pH reading of your tap water going in and then another reading of your runoff, that can help us establish if a flush is needed.

mixin

ok. i am going to flush tomorrow night. i just found my bag of soil doctor lime mix. it says it contains 17% magnesium in it so maybe its not a mag deficiency?

what would be the proper way for my to flush my plants tomorrow? i will be using ph'd tap water.

Weedninja

I recommend a runoff test before you flush. Flushing will remove(partially) anything water soluble, whether it's good, bad or neutral. A runoff test will tell you what you need to do. For example: If you're pouring in pH 6 water and it's running off at, say; 7.5, that would tell you that your soil pH is too alkaline and that there is too much lime.

mixin

Weedninja said:
I recommend a runoff test before you flush. Flushing will remove(partially) anything water soluble, whether it's good, bad or neutral. A runoff test will tell you what you need to do. For example: If you're pouring in pH 6 water and it's running off at, say; 7.5, that would tell you that your soil pH is too alkaline and that there is too much lime.

then that is what i will do tomorrow night. so if it runs off around 7.5 should i just do a good flush with tap water ph'd around 6 to counter the higher ph ?

Weedninja

mixin said:
then that is what i will do tomorrow night. so if it runs off around 7.5 should i just do a good flush with tap water ph'd around 6 to counter the higher ph ?
It doesn't have to be that low. The idea of the flush is to get rid of the bad crap and get your soil back to normal. Personally, I'd shoot for 6.5-6.8

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Yes definitely do the runoff test as the first part of your flush, checking the first bit of runoff, then adjusting the remaining flush liquid to compensate for the amount off it is.
To adjust pH when you are not concerned about soil salting/fert buildup, which I don't see evidence of in our plants, you just have to gently flush until the runoff reads correct. Then go back to a normal feeding with a complete grow fert right away, to replace everything you have flushed out of the soil, pHd to about 6.7.

But get on that foliar Epsom mist quick.

mixin

i did a good runoff test of the two whiteberry and the opium and well water was around 5.0 the runoff came out around 6.5 for two of them and around 6.0 for one of them. i did not flush them totally but the runoff on each one filled a good sized pot.

what do you think i should do? a full flush? or feed them some nutes?

Latest posts

Latest posts