What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are my chances if I move?

Fluttershiy

Hello everyone. So I have been obsessed with weed for the past nearly 10 years. And not in the way a typical pot head is. I mean I like to get high as much in the next gal. But There is something more about it for me. I love weed. The way it looks, the way it smells. The way it grows. Just everything about it. The first time i saw a grow room in person it brought tears to my eyes because it was hands down the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. And it has been my dream to work with weed for a very long time now.

My question is about getting a job in the field if I move to a legal state. I live in Missouri. It will be one of the last states to legalize I am sure. So I have decided I do not want to wait anymore. If there is a good chance I could get a job in the field if I move then I want to go for it. I know a lot about weed. More than most people. More than most pot heads. I have never worked with it before though. And I do not have any real experiences with growing. But I have researched it for years now. How hard is it really to get a job growing, or at a discrepancy as a sales person? If anyone has a job in that field can you tell me how you went about getting the job and how hard it was? I know I may be a bit late. As logic says that at first there was a major influx of jobs that where quickly filled. On the other hand. They could still be opening up as it keeps growing.

Long story short. I am willing to leave my family, friends, everything I know to chase my dream job. If there is a good chance that it would happen. And I am not an idiot. I am not going to have 2 people sy yes on some website and say "Whelp, that's it!" and start packing my bags. I just want any input I can get. It all started last night. One of my best friends said "You have been talking about that dream for like 6 years now. Why don't you just move to Denver and do it?" I was a bit speechless... because he was right.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The market for obtaining one of these legal jobs is extremely competitive.

If you really want in, move with the expectation of having to wait through the long process of getting a license.

If you start now & can find something to do while your applications are being reviewed you may be able to get a couple grows under your belt & gain even more experience.

Good luck.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
REAL SLIM CHANCES OF MAKING ANY REAL MONEY....your dream job don't pay shit..you will end up doing crap work and trimming...the only one making money in the grow game is the grower/owner...yeehaw..tellin it like it is..if your a good grower your better off doing your own thing and selling your crop..you will make more than being someone elses cheap labor..theres shitloads of dreamers I am a realist..good luck..

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agree w/ both stoned-trout and MJ. Heard there's a back log of licenses, and only certain municipalities want them in communities (I can only speak for CO...have cousins in OR tell me similar).

Doing trimming...most of the reports (local TV news) shows senior citizens trimming. So it can't pay that much.

My advice....watch for a state that "may" be legal in near future...and concentrate efforts there. CO/WA/OR/AK saturated with 'wanna be's.