What's new

what animal leaves these tracks?

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hello all,

i was out taking some seedlings to this place i have scouted for a while, over a week ago i was deep in a pine forest and heard something get away from me, a big animal.

anyway, today on my way back i noticed these freshly made tracks, are these of a large dog or what? or could it be a big cat? pumas and other big cats used to roam these territories but they are in danger of extinction, it could not be a bear either, too small tracks, there is a special type of bear here too but also in danger of extinction...

picture.php

picture.php

thanks!

peace

T

TrichyTrichy

Coyote or Wolf
but I can't remember the diff's bet. them tho.

T

TrichyTrichy

you mean chupacabra :laughing: I'd be afraid it were :D

How's it goin Randude

R

randude101

ty trichy, I couldn't remember the word.. I was looking for a photo too

T

TrichyTrichy

Randude check out Gray Fox pawprint

It looks closest to Gray fox imo.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
hard to say w/o something to judge the scale but looks like small bear.

EDIT: never mind, thought I saw 5 toes. looks more like a messed up print on 2nd look.

R

randude101

Maybe you will find a stool sample to show us. After that I will refer you to an old Cheech and Chong sketch

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
hello all, thank you for the responses.

ok, it cannot be a coyote, because this is in the tropical andes.

in the area i was at, it is a national park, 2200 meters above sea level (approx. 6600 feet), some of the stuff that lives there are the following species:

Tremarctos ornatus (bear)

Odocoileus virginianus (deer)

Agouti paca (rodent)

Felis concolor (puma)

Panthera onca (panther/small tiger)

:chin:

i hope they do not hunt humans

R

randude101

Canines (foxes, bears, dogs) leave nail prints from their claws.

Felines retract their claws and just leave pad marks.

Not familiar with the big rodents.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
randude, thanks, i have been noticing that by looking at tracks in google. cats do not print the nails generally... thank goodness it is not either of those two cats, phew! those were the ones that worried me really

R

randude101

randude, thanks, i have been noticing that by looking at tracks in google. cats do not print the nails generally... thank goodness it is not either of those two cats, phew! those were the ones that worried me really

Yeah, since they are 4 inches in diameter. I am a adventurer, but big cats can get nasty. They bite your face and don't let go.

Latest posts

Latest posts