What's new

What am I doing wrong? Plants keep Vegging away in flower!!

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
vegging, not begging, iPad autofailcorrect!!!!

I figured this was the best place to ask.
I started messing around with recycling soils recently.
I def blew it and reammended way too hot on my first attempts.
I noticed that using this recycled mix led to some problems.
But what was real weird was that a lot of things in this mix juts kept vegging away for months in flower.
Nothing more an pistils shooting out if the nodes.
I even cut the recycled mix to straight pro ix to try and "dilute" the mix.

The only other thing I started messing with around the same time were myco's.
I don't know if I'm overusing myco teas? Been using cap's bennies and was doing it weekly to every other week.

These are the only two different things in my regimen. But it's still baffling me. It's either has to be one or the other, not having these problems in my hydro or coco runs, not a light leak either as everything else is performing admirably.

I have since gone back to phillthy's mix and things are looking on the up and up.
So does anybody have any input on what causes this?
I did read on something like this , somewhere in the site, but can't remember where and can't find it again with searches.

Cannavore

Veteran
Other than a light leak....

If your high in N ive seen plants do what you're speaking of. They keep on growing and do nothing more than shoot out pistil clusters.

E

Eureka Springs Organics

What's in your mix? What strains are you growing? What size pots, lights, space, etc.. The more info the better.

Medium Pimpin'

Veteran
Mix started out as per Phillthy's recipe
1/2 bale promix
Bag ffof
Cup each:
Blood meal
Bone meal
Dolomite line
Kelp
Greensand
1/2 cup of neptunes crab shell meal
DE

Pretty basic IMO
I did read the TLO book by Rev and reammended with his recommendations.
Off the top of my head I used some
Guano, High N and high P
Blood /bone meal
Basic 5-5-5 feed
Azomite
Humic ore
Crushed oyster shell
Oyster shell powder
Alfalfa meal
Feathe meal
Soft Rock phosphate
Ewc
Coco
Perlite
Kelp
Greensand
Lime
Gypsum
Most stuff was tsp to tbsp. per gallon of reammended mix

I can't remember what else off hand.
I dunno if the hot diluted mix had my shit out of whack or what.
Don't check ph in my organic, never bothered before with great results.

I was thinking N too but had little to no signs of N problems.
They weren't overly green or curled over, just the never ending veg problems

paint4420

It could be that your pottasium and phosphorous levels are inverted. This would cause more vegatative growth than reproductive. What about a soil test?

pappy masonjar

Veteran
What about any small red lights you may have missed?
Im sure you thought of that but maybe you missed one. I dunno:dunno:
I know ive personally missed little red lights b4.

Also, how long did you cook that mix after you re-ammended?
I

Last edited:

Medium Pimpin'

Veteran
It's only the organic, water only mixes that are doing this.
Every other style and medium is fine, same room, same lighting schedules.
If there were a light leak, I think everything would be screwy.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
well there are a few things i notice off the top of my head

if you use someone else's mix don't add ANYTHING without running it once at as posted

alfalfa needs to be cooked

azomite does not react well with fulvic acid so i wonder if it is reacting to your humic source

the guanos and basic feed seem over kill

i have no experience with fox farms shit

as far as recycled soil i was running the same dirt for YEARS and was starting to have issues here is how I reammended it

the mix is at since is comparable to yours, I am very happy with it I would liek to add oyster shell powder

it can be recycled and I am using it in that fashion

ratio

3:1:1.5 peat:perilite:ewc:compost good castings and compost they are going to be the kick start the the biological activity that makes organics worthwhile

I i like to use under performing soil for 1 of the 3 parts peat

to that I added

1 tablespoon

neem meal
kelp meal
crab meal
blood meal (dr earth's has added probiotics)
glacial rock dust
greensand
DE

2 tablespoon

bone meal (dr earth's has added probiotics)

.5 tablespoon

gypsum
lime

im running that mix in various stages of recycling and its performing very well

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just picked up some DrEarth fish meal weird & noticed the added probiotics. checked out the specific microbes they include & most of them make sense.

btw, fish meal makes a good replacement for both the bone meal & the blood meal {which are both OK, i just don't like how soluble blood is & don't like the slaughterhouse factor on either} just sayin'

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Its so wierd, I would say im almost sure a soil mix couldnt do that. But if plants right next to them are fine, that is baffling.

Fwiw, the Rev does say he recommends the mix to be cooked for 2-4 weeks. He says raw amendments like lime, meals, guanos, and manures need cooked. But I still dont think that could be it.

Head scratcher for sure.

Make em BEG, PIMPN'!:laughing:
sounds like you slapped them gals with a heavy PIMP hand.

My thoughts...

Hot mix, you know this, fried those plants from the get go. Waterheads from birth, you dig? no help!

this is just from what I've seen here. Had it both ways, pistils shooting out of the nodes form the cloner or crazy growth 4wks in flower. With my limited space, I always toss em.

Go VERY light on your add back. The add back is were I started putting it all together, as in these girls really don't need much and only take what they want.

Phillthy's recipe is good. I've used it.
my first add back to that mix would only be blood,bone,kelp at 1/3
Use the teas..
I only add other shit if i'm going to let the mix rest for a run.

Side note: this could all be wrong

Happy New Year! :tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i just picked up some DrEarth fish meal weird & noticed the added probiotics. checked out the specific microbes they include & most of them make sense.

btw, fish meal makes a good replacement for both the bone meal & the blood meal {which are both OK, i just don't like how soluble blood is & don't like the slaughterhouse factor on either} just sayin'
lol i had the box in my hand but he smell was a bit strong and i didnt want to fuck with anything right now im not familiar with

i love the probiotics of dr earth great stuff for re mediating dead soil outdoors as well

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
nfn everything i mentioned i happened to learn from that rols thread and originated from cc

not to stir the pot but simply to give credit were credit is due

AloeRuss

Crown Jewel of the Legion
ICMag Donor
Your lights. Check your lights.

I had the same problem. Found out this was the problem with my timer. It was not turning the lights and mine kept vegging to.

Make sure it's truly 12/12 or you will never start the flowering cycle.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol i had the box in my hand

i'm only just now trying some fish meal myself ~it really seems like you can't go to far wrong w/ fish products

i've used aquarium water to green up dry spots in the lawn forever

if the OP's plants are not flowering next to plants which are flowering, that is quite peculiar

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are you running the same genetics as in the hydro/coco pots?

some pure or almost pure tropical sativas and their hybrids will veg for a very long time in a rich soil, especially under 12/12. running something like haze from seed and you have to starve/rootbind them and put them 10/14 to induce flower.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
especially under 12/12. running something like haze from seed and you have to starve/rootbind them and put them 10/14 to induce flower
This has not been my experience. I've had success with sativa producing good flower past season. This was growing in a very large volume of soil and using natural light. They did take longer than Indica dominant varieties but surprising to me produced ripe flowers.

In years previous, I have had success with pure sativa varieties, grown at straight 12 hours of light from beginning to end.

From my understanding if actually pure sativa, the variety is evolved to very closs to 12 hour daylight. I believe this amount of light is utilized on many equatorial species of plants, (e.g. in conducted studies)

I'm not looking to get into a big discussion here but I would like to recommend that you research more (if it even is sativa)

Last edited: