What's new

What 4 Sativas do I have to try?

chronosync

Well-stoned member
The two Zamaldelica fem I grew from Ace werent tough at all. I was surprised because I was intimidated by the category its in, but Im sure glad I grew them.

Very vigorous and healthy, they cloned well, yielded great for me.

The hardest thing was keeping them inside the tent and also away from the light. I had to bend them all over the place. It was amazing.

Its the best weed I've grown.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I really believe that you didn't understand my post. Are you really talking about afghanis in a sativa thread?
The sativa dominant strains you mentioned were:

"Jack Herer, Sour Diesel, Titan's haze (Haze Skunk, 12 weeks)"

All these strains are Sativa-Indica (Afghani) hybrids. They all have Afghani #1 in them. Not that Afghani is the only Indica strain, of course.

Real sativas are landrace sativas, which are harder to find. Thai, Indian, African and South Americans landrace strains, that are also sativa are for instance:

Malawi Gold
Tanzanian Magic
Senegal
Ghana
Congo
Michoachacan
Acapulco Gold
Columbian Gold
Guerrero
Thai Stick
Double Thai
Hawaii Maui Wowie
Vietnam Black

Any strains from The Real Seed Company that aren't indica.
https://therealseedcompany.com/

Several strains from Ace Seeds, Cannabiogen
https://www.cannabiogen.com/Producto/COLOMBIA MANGOBICHE-34.html
Ghana, from Cannabiogen
https://www.growbarato.net/en/canna...-regular-cannabiogen.html#/seed_pack-10_seeds

There is an excellent article from DJ Short about the strains of the 1970s:

https://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2005/06/28/4280/

Also, the "Cannabis Sativa: The essential guide to" books by S.T. Oner & Greg Green, there are 3, contain descriptions of many landrace sativa strains, and where to get them.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Most growers are using the term sativa to talk about sativa dominant hybrids. There is only a small percentage of today growers who grow pure sativas most of the land races are extinct or hybridized.
My sativas of choice for a green-house grow would be:
-Jack Herer pure or a cross from Bodhi with the JH 10K cut.
-Lemon Thai
-SSSDH from Ojd
-Amnesia haze
Those strains could produce a massive harvest of beautiful buds.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Most growers are using the term sativa to talk about sativa dominant hybrids. There is only a small percentage of today growers who grow pure sativas most of the land races are extinct or hybridized.
Which is why it is so important and rewarding to preserve them.

There are ways to growing sativas:

- prune to minimize the length of the stem and get more colas
- use a 12/12 or 11/13 light cycle right from the start, or after 2 weeks of 18/6.

At the equator, tropical strains get 12/12 year around anyway. That prevents a lot of stretching when switching from vegging to flower.

Most people have never smoked pure tropical sativas (0% CBD), with ripe (amber) trichomes. If they had, they'd give up dabbing.

grayeyes

5 Strains

5 Strains

Ok, 5:

1. Super Silver Haze

2. Durban Poison (14-16 wk version)

3. Colombian Santa Marta

4. Cherry Bomb (Mr. Greengenes take on Maui waui)

5. If you can find it: Michoacan

The last was almost sprayed out of existence by Nixon on paraquat. I wish he had sucked some up. it would put you quietly through the roof and give you body and mind trips. Everything now offered looks watered down.

Carraxe

Veteran
The sativa dominant strains you mentioned were:

"Jack Herer, Sour Diesel, Titan's haze (Haze Skunk, 12 weeks)"

All these strains are Sativa-Indica (Afghani) hybrids. They all have Afghani #1 in them. Not that Afghani is the only Indica strain, of course.

Real sativas are landrace sativas, which are harder to find. Thai, Indian, African and South Americans landrace strains, that are also sativa are for instance:

Malawi Gold
Tanzanian Magic
Senegal
Ghana
Congo
Michoachacan
Acapulco Gold
Columbian Gold
Guerrero
Thai Stick
Double Thai
Hawaii Maui Wowie
Vietnam Black

Any strains from The Real Seed Company that aren't indica.
https://therealseedcompany.com/

Several strains from Ace Seeds, Cannabiogen
https://www.cannabiogen.com/Producto/COLOMBIA%20MANGOBICHE-34.html
Ghana, from Cannabiogen
https://www.growbarato.net/en/canna...-regular-cannabiogen.html#/seed_pack-10_seeds

There is an excellent article from DJ Short about the strains of the 1970s:

https://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2005/06/28/4280/

Also, the "Cannabis Sativa: The essential guide to" books by S.T. Oner & Greg Green, there are 3, contain descriptions of many landrace sativa strains, and where to get them.

I believe that you didn't understand the original post. I also believe that you are overconfident on what the seedbanks say about their strains.

The strains that are really landraces aren't suitable for most growers. On the other hand, many of the plants sold as "pure sativas" or "landraces" are not. For example, ACE has been selling seeds that are obvious hybrids as landraces, being the Malawi the best example of that.

A grower who asks for sativas and puts Neville's haze as an example doesn't look like he is searching for a pure Thai or Ghana, that are very difficult plants, produce very little and have a different effect that most users will find bland and lacking flavor.

I've grown several of them and I wouldn't recommend anybody looking for "sativa weed" that he should plant that kind of freaky original pure landraces because the experience growing and smoking them will most likely be very disappointing.

Cheers

White Beard

For me, I mostly never knew what anything was, or was even supposed to be.

I remember the first thing I got that had a name with it was Michoacan, spring of ‘69, the day of the Fleetwood Mac show...show and bag were effing brilliant...what a *day*....

$10 for a half-ounce.

50 years down the road, I still remember a lot of my early attempts at cannabination.
I think that may be the big difference for me between weed then and weed now: there’s nothing, really, to remember about about what I’ve been able to get since I switched up in med class...not that that’s necessarily *bad*, but because of it the shift to concentrate and away from flower makes a certain sense: it’s become all about the smell, the taste, the look; the THC levels; the CBD levels; the extraction process; the actual effect is more or less overlooked. It’s not a circle of folks passing a joint and sharing the stone for that 00:20... or 3:00. Probably, half or all of them strangers, most never seeing each other again, but sharing a bit of self for a bit of a moment, and carrying away a smile and happy faces. It’s a product now. It’s boutique.

Sorry, off-topic - except that back then, sativa meant sativa: tiny buds, lots of seeds, too many sticks, and being genuinely altered after you had some. Brick weed almost all of it, mostly thru Mexico until the Colombians took over, but bags would wander thru from anywhere and nowhere. I have a roll of seeds marked “Jamaican Sativa”, from about ‘86, one that says “Belize ‘89”, and I have no idea what I meant by HM on another. But they were Sativas, and I loved them and I still love them. I’ve discovered what I like about Indicas in the process, so both will always be on my list, but if there can be only one....

Nirrity

basically most "sativas" are terpinolene dominant varieties. they may differ in terms of taste due to different terpenes ratios, and also may differ in terms of THC to terpene content, but, overall they all are more or less the same. karma's headbanger and ecsd are the only 2 mostly sativas which has plenty of limonene and are not terpinolene dominant.

i would suggest therefore:

1. karma's headbanger
2. sweet skunk s1
3. dr atomic thai lights
4. richard williams back to the congo
(5). ace green panama

Happy Times

basically most "sativas" are terpinolene dominant varieties. they may differ in terms of taste due to different terpenes ratios, and also may differ in terms of THC to terpene content, but, overall they all are more or less the same. karma's headbanger and ecsd are the only 2 mostly sativas which has plenty of limonene and are not terpinolene dominant.

i would suggest therefore:

1. karma's headbanger
2. sweet skunk s1
3. dr atomic thai lights
4. richard williams back to the congo
(5). ace green panama

Been curious about that Thai Lights for a while