What's new

WET VS DRY Trimming

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Funny, a buddy was just telling me about these after he got back from visiting Denmark or somewhere over there across the pond.

Pricey unit, but I like the looks of it. Wonder if there is a US equivalent available. Environmental control isn't really an issue in the growroom when the plants are in there. It's drying them during these winter months that's difficult when humidity levels barely even register on the hygrometers. Going to try sealing the dry/trim room in poly and using a hydrofogger or similar to maintain 55%.

gvillegreen

Very interesting thread! I have been a wet trimmer for life and just did my first "test" with a couple LA Confidentials side-by-side, cut the same day. One was wet trimmed immediately, the other I trimming the next day. I ran out of time after trimming the first, so this was an accidental experiment. By the 3rd day of drying, LA wet trim smelled like a bag a grass clippings, LA dry trim reeked already curing bud. Still waiting a few days to test them, but my nose clearly wants the dry one more. Overall, I am quite impressed with the results on the LA Conf. After 5 days, wet trim smells less grassy, but not like weed. Dry trim continues to smell awesome. I have since tried this on 2 Super Lemon Haze plants (different phenos), and it does not seem to be nearly as pronounced of a difference compared to the two LAs. This does seem to be highly strain dependent as mentioned by SeedsOfFreedom.

Since the first couple days of drying have shown to have a significant impact on certain strains smell level, I think my new technique is going to be to hang whole plant for 48-72 hours so it can gracefully 'die' and slowly lose the initial moisture and not release grassy compounds. Then, while the leaves are still partially wet, I plan to trim the plants. This preserves much of the easier/cleaner nature of wet trimming and crystals are much less likely to break off since they stalks are not yet brittle. The plants are them dried until curing can begin.

I still want to do a full-length dry trim to compare to the partial, but am already sold on the fact that some strains almost require a dry trim if you plan to be using the bud before the long cure. I don't plant on trying that wet trimmed LA for a while!

TPFTFW

Veteran
Dry trimming makes the bud smell stronger.

Period

You know when you break a bud up it smells more right?

So that action with sugar leaf leads to the same result.

Easy7

Veteran
Wet trimming became popular for making ice water hash. I like dry sift better. Also the chemical messengers become different when a living plant is harmed (wet trimming).

DrFever

Veteran

Period

You forgot it adds more weight right lol ??? with most growers being closet growers, growing for a hobby cause of being unemployed or abusing the system Welfare or any other system out there they can't afford to buy weed, but after a few grows there the know it all.
But what really strikes me is 90 percent of growers don't even know when to chop and most importantly can't figure out how to dry. if there life depended on it.
you get the people sayng you need to flush to rid plants from iNPK
Yet i ask myself can anyone tell me what phos tastes like when you eat a potato can you taste potassium ???:laughing:How do farmers flush there 50,000 acres prior to harvest does this hold true for organic growing plant food is food is food is food

But back to drying not one clown in here has mentioned what is really the best way to dry your finished product
WHAT TO LOOK FOR what do you need
many here mention dry hang hahaha Again depending on situation
for instance when you hang your product is the outside air RH below the equilibrium moisture of the product
what is your air coming in or actual air in room whats the chances you using them 4.00 dollar Walmart thermometer/ RH all in one right rookie ?
is movemenet min minimum airflow of 6.5 L/sec/m3 (0.5 CFM/bu), preferably 9.7 L/sec/m3 (0.75 CFM/bu) or more????

Yup even if its hanging there you need air movement
by hanging 100 plants in a room what apparent effects changed the room enviroment temps increase . RH increase how did you control this ???? and maintain prefect equilibrium for the perfect slow dry
for every 5 degree and yes that dehumifier you got on raises temps tri fold did you run AC to lower the heat as well and maintain the perfect dialed in Room
Like hell you did how did you test moisture level in the bud wait wait i bet you broke off a piece did it the stoner way psml smoke test but forgot from being stoned to turn back on the ac unit and De humidifier or what ever Its ok its a common occurrence
for some this is big business for others its hobby if your a crack dealer and doing the product 100 percent your venture will fail
as for my self i dont even smoke the shit its all about the money SHOW ME THE MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
PS whats the effect of drying process at each 5 degree increment higher or lower ???
Stop looking at what stoners are putting down as the rule of drying and start experimenting
believe it or not were drying our weed High temp drying technique
try drying low temp might wake a few people up takes longer but it allows for more chemical change higher THC content
my self i like the low 60 degree with RH in just above 55 with lots of air movement the smells of sweetness is incredible
drying is like making organic mix it takes time for everything to come into play and work properly
this is no different then drying chemical change is happening do it slow slow as possible

If your growing out door and most people will chop dry hang from tree to tree again out door vs indoor in quaity can you tell the difference ???? i sure can specially when people try to pass out door as in door product

TPFTFW

Veteran
Lol why in the hell did you just go off on me and call me a rookie and shit..

First matter at hand.. I don't use a Walmart thermometer I use a fucking sentinel CHHC4, a 500 dollar piece of equipment that controls every aspect of the environment..

2nd.. I Didn't adress all of that babbLe your going on about because the thread title SAYS WET VS DRY..

And personally I'm not going to even discuss now because of your whack ass attempt at flaming someone who popped in your thread to give their opinion on the thread subject

You must be miserable or something
I hope you have a better day

Peace

PS check out my super newb gallery's with my super newb room

TPFTFW

Veteran
Veg area... So newb.. See my 4$ Walmart thermometer?
picture.php

Bloom room.. So newb
picture.php

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of my completely sealed, climate controlled and insulated room I built for drying. Oh well.

Back to newbs r us for me

DrFever

Veteran

Period

Your the one making that claim not me
Explain how it smells more right hahaha like you would know better then the next person as i shake my head its the internet there cowboy anyone can post or boost them selfs up thinking there da man right what are you trying to achieve here showing yours or probably someone elses room ???? but if you insist 700 plus clones 300plus in all stages veg 5 weeks before moving constantly rolling when i rolled but have since lowered plant count to max 12 plants 25 years in jail was determining factor around 25,000 watts used
after many people in our ring got extradited for distrubuting 100 kilo a week into the US having runners pick up 300,000 cash every month things went for shit in a hurry and with that type of product wet trimming was only option mind you trimmers cost was close to 20,000 there is no time to fuck around get it done and out the fucking door

Attachments

• !cid_0204011624a.jpg
    !cid_0204011624a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
  • !cid_1106001909a.jpg
    !cid_1106001909a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 15
  • !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 16
  • !cid_0208012036a.jpg
    !cid_0208012036a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 20
  • picture522l.jpg
    picture522l.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 14

DJM

You forgot it adds more weight right lol ??? with most growers being closet growers, growing for a hobby cause of being unemployed or abusing the system Welfare or any other system out there they can't afford to buy weed, but after a few grows there the know it all.
But what really strikes me is 90 percent of growers don't even know when to chop and most importantly can't figure out how to dry. if there life depended on it.
Yet i ask myself can anyone tell me what phos tastes like when you eat a potato can you taste potassium ???:laughing:How do farmers flush there 50,000 acres prior to harvest does this hold true for organic growing plant food is food is food is food

But back to drying not one clown in here has mentioned what is really the best way to dry your finished product
WHAT TO LOOK FOR what do you need
many here mention dry hang hahaha Again depending on situation
for instance when you hang your product is the outside air RH below the equilibrium moisture of the product
what is your air coming in or actual air in room whats the chances you using them 4.00 dollar Walmart thermometer/ RH all in one right rookie ?
is movemenet min minimum airflow of 6.5 L/sec/m3 (0.5 CFM/bu), preferably 9.7 L/sec/m3 (0.75 CFM/bu) or more????

Yup even if its hanging there you need air movement
by hanging 100 plants in a room what apparent effects changed the room enviroment temps increase . RH increase how did you control this ???? and maintain prefect equilibrium for the perfect slow dry
for every 5 degree and yes that dehumifier you got on raises temps tri fold did you run AC to lower the heat as well and maintain the perfect dialed in Room
Like hell you did how did you test moisture level in the bud wait wait i bet you broke off a piece did it the stoner way psml smoke test but forgot from being stoned to turn back on the ac unit and De humidifier or what ever Its ok its a common occurrence
for some this is big business for others its hobby if your a crack dealer and doing the product 100 percent your venture will fail
as for my self i dont even smoke the shit its all about the money SHOW ME THE MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
PS whats the effect of drying process at each 5 degree increment higher or lower ???
Stop looking at what stoners are putting down as the rule of drying and start experimenting
believe it or not were drying our weed High temp drying technique
try drying low temp might wake a few people up takes longer but it allows for more chemical change higher THC content
my self i like the low 60 degree with RH in just above 55 with lots of air movement the smells of sweetness is incredible
drying is like making organic mix it takes time for everything to come into play and work properly
this is no different then drying chemical change is happening do it slow slow as possible

If your growing out door and most people will chop dry hang from tree to tree again out door vs indoor in quaity can you tell the difference ???? i sure can specially when people try to pass out door as in door product

You are a clown and ruin every thread I see you post in. You are obviously a little kid that is a no one in real life , so you have way to much time on you're hands to come on line and rant with novels trying to seem like some higher authority, putting down others in the process. News flash , you're grows are not special , neither are you, and you should keep you're opinions to yourself. As they are usually wrong and inflated by you're ego and false sense of importance. real growers don't want to read that shit. Go away

JointOperation

i just prefer atleast hand trimming. i don't care how u dry your own shit.. but if it sucks.. or is harsh.. don't get all pissy when someone tells you how they feel.

JointOperation

Lol why in the hell did you just go off on me and call me a rookie and shit..

First matter at hand.. I don't use a Walmart thermometer I use a fucking sentinel CHHC4, a 500 dollar piece of equipment that controls every aspect of the environment..

2nd.. I Didn't adress all of that babbLe your going on about because the thread title SAYS WET VS DRY..

And personally I'm not going to even discuss now because of your whack ass attempt at flaming someone who popped in your thread to give their opinion on the thread subject

You must be miserable or something
I hope you have a better day

Peace

PS check out my super newb gallery's with my super newb room

lol some people are just mad they cant produce fire anymore.. it comes down to money.. and if its quality or quanitity.. in cali.. its allways more bud.. who cares quality.. it gets shipped right out of state..

soon the market wont need that garbage.. and more and more will be smoking proper buds.. and we will see the market crumble.. especially for cali commercial scam artists.

flat9

Hey those temps are a little low so be on the look out for mold. See if you can get into the upper 70's. Check between big nugs and stalk for a bit of white looking stuff. Can be real hard to detect until its too late. From experience, better to raise temps now.

Look forward to hearing back.

RH is temperature dependent so I'm not sure why one temp would be worse than another (unless we're talking VPD or something!). Also in my experience the more "tropical" the environment the greater the likelihood for mold (60+ RH, higher temps). I could certainly be wrong about that, however.

Anyway, the flavor was just as good on the wet trim + environmentally controlled dry stuff as the dry trim usually is, with a huge caveat....

... the caveat is that I actually found I need to do a final trim after the buds had shrunk to get rid of the sugar leaf to my (read as: dispensaries') liking. If I'm going to have to dry touch up after wet trim, I think I may just stick with dry trim all the way as the time savings

This is undoubtedly strain-dependent, by the way. Some stuff I'm sure looks great just after a single wet trim. The stuff I'm growing needs some more work, so I think I'll stick with trimming the whole thing dry for now. I'll definitely keep controlling the environment in the dry though.

sprinkl

Veteran

I'll get back to you after I smoked this potato.

Oh wait, got any drying tips for potatoes? Doesn't seem to burn right...

JointOperation

Anyone who dry trims rocking a dry trimming machine?

nah.. i had a few people i talk to online buy a few diff kinds of dry trimming machines.. and it causes way to much damage.. so its not worth it ............. for dry trimming.. what i reccomend is.. a few days before you cut the plants down.. go threw your room. and remove every fan leaf.. that doesnt have any trichs on it..

then cut a few days later after they heal.. so you arent getting that sugary shit.. as i think that sugar. thats being released when you are wet trimming and or cutting a live plant or taking clones.. might be the culprit when it comes down to that grassy hay smell.. like i said.. my opinion i think it might have something to do with it.. thats why it takes a few days to get the smell to come back when wet trimming on some strains.. other strains it dont matter either way they reek . but my opinion

then.. let your buds hang dry.. until smaller branches are snapping.. and biggers are just about to snap... trim that shit up..

doesnt add wieght.. actually i feel wet trimming allows you to leave more weight behind.. you leave more sugarleaf on a plant when your wet trimming.. from all the shit ive bought wet trimmed.. or seen wet trimmed.. most people leave a hell of alot more leaf on it.. some dont.. but MOST DOOO

the thing i noticed like ive said many times is.. alot of these growers.. pull there shit down early. because rippers.. or fear of cops.. or just to get it out the door... and they tried flushing a 10 week strain for any homegrower.. they already pull it at 8 weeks.. wen the fucking swell starts to slow down.. and then they try to start flushing at week 6.. and wonder why they are having horrrrrrible results yields wise...

take your fucking strains. atleast 1 clone.. TO DIE in the POT.. and keep count to see exactly when the plant starts to be almost 100% cloudy.. and when you actually do this to every strain you run . instead of relying on the guy you got it from. or the guy growing it in hydro.. or coco.. or watever.. nutes environment christ.. every fucking time i hear about a small yield on flushed buds.. its like 1.. u flushed too early probably. and 2.. u havent taken your plant to full ripeness or else you would know when to flush.. and if you cant taste the difference on your throat.. your nose.. from flushed to unflushed.. then thats you. but OTHER PEOPLE CAN. and i can for sure tell you if its flushed or not. or if it was WET TRIMMED or DRY TRIMMED.. or hand trimmed or machine trimmed.. or if its been curing a week or 3 months.. just by looking.. breaking it up.. and looking with a scope..