What's new

WET VS DRY Trimming

theother

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44299&pictureid=1038493&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48848&pictureid=1144086&thumb=1]View Image[/url] I trim wet and haven't had any problems with smell or flavor.

I immediately freeze my trim for bubblehash too.

I trim wet, hang until all the way dry, then put buds in container with Boveda packs for three or four days.it turns out great with strong flavor and smell. My drying room runs at 70 degress and between 50-60% RH.

Your bubble looks interesting, what's your process look like?

RedBeardy5

And this is why MOST dispensaries weed is crap. They cut corners and wet trim to speed everything up. Hang your shit wet and trim dry for a superior product.

RedBeardy5

And please through those trimming machines in the garbage. I know a few that use them and I can say is good bye quality. Welcome walmart

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last time I dry trimmed, I found it to be a lot more work, and quite frustrating.

By the time I'm done trimming I'm usually on the verge of completely losing my mind I hate trimming!

After my first harvest, I actually questioned my commitment to the plant.

I have seen no difference in quality trimmed either way. I believe that proper drying and curing have more to do with quality than when the plant is trimmed.

Your bubble looks interesting, what's your process look like?

That bubblehash is incredible! You can dab it and it completely melts. It only turns out like that with this strain, my other strains leave residue and aren't quite as potent or tasty. The strain is sour lifesaver that is in the pic by the hash.

I use a 220 bag>180 "filter bag">90 catch bag, I add a 25 bag on round 2 to catch anything that slipped through the 90, but the quality isn't as good.

I use RO water and ice and hand mix lightly for about five minutes. The key is how you press and dry it.

I scoop the hash and put on the pressing screen. I lay the screen on a towel and VERY LIGHTLY press on the top with a paper towel and wick up as much water as possible. I then flip it over and do it again. The screen then goes in the freezer for about four or five minutes. I then break up the hash on a nonstick cookie sheet and let it dry. I make sure to "unstick" the hash after 24 hours by scraping it with a card and do this once a day until it stops sticking to the sheet. It will be ready in three to seven days.

I have a related question to the thread that hopefully some of the experienced folks on here can chime in on.

To start, I am a micro grower. This grow I went the route of little 12-15 inch budsicles (around 7-8 grams dried/trimmed typically). I'm now preparing for harvest on the earliest of the strains. Flush is complete and I have good yellowing of the fans and such. So for the past couple days I quit flushing and have been allowing the coco to dry out a bit, because I have heard that is what one should do. (Still learning)

Anyways, my question is would there be any advantages/disadvantages to not chopping the plant and just leaving it in the dry pot and letting it dry slowly?? In the past I have had some of that dreaded grassy stench. I believe it is because of how small the plants are they dry too fast. Maybe I'm putting them into jars too soon? I don't know. That's why I'm here.

Thanks everyone for all the information in the thread from both sides.

JointOperation

proly just drying too fast to be honest... maybe make a little drying chamber.. a tote with something in it to keep the nugs off the bottom.. maybe a small tote and cookie cooling tray.. something along those lines.. if its dry before 7 days its drying too fast.

flat9

What I use is a portable evaporative cooler (like 150 from Home Depot) and install a different pump, just drill a hole in the side and fish the plug for the new pump out. Then plug that into a hygrometer leave it set at 60%. You can even do this now, it won't exactly fix the flash dry but it will keep it from going much further. I used to use the rh from the mass of flowers to maintain a steady environment but like you I had occasional problems and just decided it was unacceptable. Now if I cut a plant out early or for some reason or I don't have much drying the room is always perfect. I leave it on as long as I have stuff laying around, even in turkey bags, I feel that I have a better quality of flowers across the board since doing this, sticky and dank 2-3 months later after a 2 week hang time.

I add h202 to the water res periodically to stop any funk develops on the pads, it's the simplest solution to humidity I have found.

Brilliant. Which controller do you use?

flat9

yes i believe there really is not a difference as long as you slow the process down wen wet trimming is all..

i was told that when u chop a fan leaf off.. and u see that sappy water coming out.. of were the stem is.. that.. that liquidy shit.. is the reason why wet trimming tends to have that hay smell.. which kinda made sense to me at the time.. maybe its a chlorophyll smell?

but i havent heard anyone else mention this.. or any proof to back it up..

but honestly for me.. yes wet trimming is easier and u can get it done quickly. but.. for me.. i need to get my rooms filled again.. so its usually a few days of work before i can get to trimming either way.. so i havent really been wet trimming in a while.. but..

would love to see some real side by sides done.. with maybe lab tests for terps. to see if trimming before.. allows the plant to become more susceptible to the degradation of terpenes.. or wat..

but i guess until we fully understand exactly whats going on during the drying and curing process.. we cannot be 100% positive as to Which method is best..

This is right on the $. I honestly think from reading these sites that no one really knows what is going on during the curing process at the very least, though there is some intuition.

Side-by-side would be great. I'll see if I can do it next time around...

flat9

And this is why MOST dispensaries weed is crap. They cut corners and wet trim to speed everything up. Hang your shit wet and trim dry for a superior product.

In the mass amount of pages in this thread, there have been no lack of comments such as these. But without saying anything about whether you have done a side-by-side with a RH-controlled drying process, you're not contributing anything here.

So yeah, when you've trimmed wet have you controlled the RH? What was the environment like?

In the mass amount of pages in this thread, there have been no lack of comments such as these. But without saying anything about whether you have done a side-by-side with a RH-controlled drying process, you're not contributing anything here.

So yeah, when you've trimmed wet have you controlled the RH? What was the environment like?

I disagree with that as well. I wet trim and my buds turn out great. The reason most bud is crap is because it was grown crappily. It was grown in a less than perfect environment, over fertilized to push bigger yields and probably trimmed/dried in a less than perfect environment.

If someone grows a great crop it won't be ruined by wet trimming LOL. I have grown for almost 20 years and know that wet trimming is fine if you do it correctly. I hand trim everything and don't want to deal with the hassle of dry trimming, plus I believe you lose more trichomes that way.

There is a lot of hyperbole about trimming in this thread which is par for the course with the typical scare tactics and misinformation these forums can spread. In the end it really won't make a difference which way you trim if you use common sense so just relax and do your thing.

theother

Brilliant. Which controller do you use?

I've been ordering egg incubators hygrometers off of ebay. Think I payed $30 or $40 for a plug and play one but you can get just the controller with wires and set the jumper switches the way you want. The cool thing about these is you could use them to control a heater or co2 gen in a greenhouse. They can be set to raise or lower humidity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Humidit...895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462b54d64f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hygrostat-h...008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2b9742f0

I still think I payed less for the plug and play ones might wanna look around.

flat9

I've been ordering egg incubators hygrometers off of ebay. Think I payed $30 or $40 for a plug and play one but you can get just the controller with wires and set the jumper switches the way you want. The cool thing about these is you could use them to control a heater or co2 gen in a greenhouse. They can be set to raise or lower humidity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Humidit...895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462b54d64f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hygrostat-h...008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2b9742f0

I still think I payed less for the plug and play ones might wanna look around.

So the second link just has the wiring done for you? Kind of would like to avoid wiring stuff if possible...

theother

So the second link just has the wiring done for you? Kind of would like to avoid wiring stuff if possible...

Yep, my thoughts exactly when I ordered one. The second one works great right out of the box. It's simple to select the set point and adjust the dead band.

medicalmj

Veteran
...In the end it really won't make a difference which way you trim if you use common sense so just relax and do your thing.
Yeah^^

But I have to add...

Can't see how dry trimming would be as efficient for anything over a pound (of finished product, so 4 lbs wet). With really good trich covered buds if you go dry i found you really have to leave alot more little leaves on, which ain't a bad thing as long as recipients like it like that...I think the issue there are dispensaries, or other customers, that don't wanna pay for leaves.

flat9

Most dispensaries around here don't care as long as it's coated in trichs. Some mention something but I haven't had a problem donating...

theother

Thats funny about more leaf on dry trim, its almost never the case. You might be one of like a dozen people who really wet trim right and get every leaf off back in the nug. The problem is that most just shape the sugar leaves and hang the sticks (why its faster). With dry trimming you are breaking most of the leaves off back inside the nug, there is no other way to do it, that's where they break.

Ill have to try to remember to grab some pics of the same strain done wet (commercial, many many lamps) and dry (commercial, many lamps). You can definitely see that the dry is providing a tighter trim. The advantage to the wet is that you can bring in labor and chop the room over the course of a couple days, and when you are done, you are DONE, just debone and its over. Dry trimming in a way just doesn't lend itself to bringing in labor. really a huge part of the workload with dry trimming is chopping and big leafing.

Again, that's all really strain dependent. Some strains just beg to be wet trimmed, my lavender is one of them, you would be crazy to not just snip those extra like 5 leaves per nug after you big leaf and be done with it. Where the difference really shines in my opinion is in some of the broad leaf indicas that have a lot more leaf in there flower. Dry trimming them is just a thing of beauty.

Also not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but I am having fantastic luck big leafing, hanging, deboning into turkey bags and then trimming at my own pace. I am seeing no disadvantages so far and it takes all the stress of timing out of the deal. I feel they might almost be stickier for longer than when I trimmed all before bagging. The extra stick might be due to the fact that its so much easier to time it right when your not trying to trim it all before bagging.

flat9

Yeah sounds like it. I think the nice thing about leaves is they have some water in them so they're guaranteed to slow down the drying process, and they also protect the buds if you hung the plant or branches upside down to dry.

theother

Yeah sounds like it. I think the nice thing about leaves is they have some water in them so they're guaranteed to slow down the drying process, and they also protect the buds if you hung the plant or branches upside down to dry.

Whole plant is awesome if you can manage it, I just chop and hang above a trash can big leaf really well and hang the whole plant. AT the end of the day it's quite a bit less work, then after there dry grab turkey roasting trays and chop branches into those. Usually my goal is to touch it all as little as possible but do the most effective job I can.

Another thing is an extremely well lit drying/trim room is so important, give your eyes a break and get as many directional lights as you need to see what your doing.