What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Well old stoners, how long have you been smoking and what got you started?

G

mtnjohn said:
man oh man ......be 41 in august and been tokin since '77....... first i smoked was colombian gold and let me tell ya this shit was yellow big time.... i miss all the pot from exotic foreign places. colombo , michohican, panama red, thai, jamaican and all the others i was too stoned to remember....but hey the apollo 11 and white rhino i grow is some of the best ever for me. i think that when i was young it was all so new and exciting tha t the strains just stick in my mind..those tastes and smell that we will most likely never see again. i fell sorry for the younger smokers cuz they will never experience these strains that shaped our lifestyles.....keep on keepin on

I agree with ya on that. When I 1st started in 1969, all weed was imported & the 'domestic' weed was garbage. But thanks to these younger guys, we have these kick-ass strains now. My partner, who does the indoor growing & lives 70 miles away, is growing some of that Apollo 11 & Afghani Dream, plus some Blue Widow...& next, the infamous Thunderfuck.
We have a good system -- I purchase the seeds, nutrients & supplies, & pay the electrical & he does the growing indoors. A fantastic 3rd floor set-up greenhouse & we split 60/40, with him the 60, as he takes the risk.
But I still miss the imported Michoacan, Oaxacan, Colombian Gold Bud & Santa Marta Red Bud, Acapulco Gold [& it was all yellow], Panama Red, Thai Sticks, Jamaican Ganja, etc.
It's always amazed me how little we paid for weed that travelled thousands of miles -- anywhere from $15 to $40 for 4-finger lids. And now they even sell it by the gram? We would've laughed our asses off selling grams...or even 1/8ths. With the prices the way they are, growing your own is the only answer. :joint:

LadyOlive

Hi All, It was 1974 and I was 15 when I started. I was in 10th grade out in Phoenix Arizona. I went to Maryvale High and we used to sit in the park across the street in a circle and smoke, drink coke, and eat David & Sons sunflower seeds....
aaaah life was grand. LOL

Took a short time off to have my 2 kids, but started right back up. Now, I grow my own and make my Snickerdoodle cookies out of it. I really like the effects of eating it. Nice body buzz and it lasts a long time.

LadyOlive

G

I agree with the prices theses days my God.

And sell a gram? Jesus, that is ridiculous.

dociron

pieceofmyheart said:
I agree with the prices theses days my God.

And sell a gram? Jesus, that is ridiculous.

By the gram,,
compared to how much time in the legal system for growing? :badday:
I find no fault with the growers or sellers.
Politicians and CEOs'? :bat:

As for the thread topic?
"73,, ahhh the "Olde Days",, lol
Gold,, Red,, Thai, Acapulco,, geeze,, :woohoo:

Todays herb is based on what we had back then,,
it got better folks,, it really has.
Today, we have growers such as those who inhabit this forum,,
how could it not?
peace y'all,, doc

Last edited:
G

dociron said:
Todays herb is based on what we had back then,,
it got better folks,, it really has.
Today, we have growers such as those who inhabit this forum,,
how could it not?
peace y'all,, doc

Yeah, doc, most of the weed IS better than most of the lids we bought, but not all of it is better. The Jamaican in the 60s & the Colombian Gold Bud & Red Bud were just as good. But to charge 20 times what we paid 30 yrs ago? It's not THAT much better. Plus all the international weed had to travel thousands of miles to get here. Then some 15 yr old, with a 1000 watt light & good seeds wants & gets 20 times the $$$?
What's gone up 20 times in 30 yrs? Not even gasoline has jumped 20 times. Plus this weed nowadays doesn't have to be transported 1/2 way across the world. So why the big increase? Because people will pay it -- bottom-line. :joint: :yoinks:

dociron

My dear friend

My dear friend

zoltron said:
Yeah, doc, most of the weed IS better than most of the lids we bought, but not all of it is better. The Jamaican in the 60s & the Colombian Gold Bud & Red Bud were just as good. But to charge 20 times what we paid 30 yrs ago? It's not THAT much better. Plus all the international weed had to travel thousands of miles to get here. Then some 15 yr old, with a 1000 watt light & good seeds wants & gets 20 times the $$$?
What's gone up 20 times in 30 yrs? Not even gasoline has jumped 20 times. Plus this weed nowadays doesn't have to be transported 1/2 way across the world. So why the big increase? Because people will pay it -- bottom-line. :joint: :yoinks:

You are correct my old friend,, because people will pay it,
and,,,,,,
because of the risk,, some places have gotten better,,
some have not.

I stopped growing in '83,,
25 years in Angola was a very sorry option.
It was looming large, still is that for some.
I hold no judgement for those who risk and charge accordingly :joint:

I grew from '76 to '83,

hell,, for all I know,, you were one of my first smugglers,, lol

the first herb I smoked came from Az. back when you were carrying,,
my friend?
,, for that?

Thank You!!! :woohoo:

As for Gasoline?,,

My first tank up was 19 cents a gallon,, yes,,

REALLY!! :yoinks:

with a nod and a light smile,, even a barely perceptible wink,,

Doc passes a joint and fades into the night,,

"peace brother" lightly echos through the thread.

Peace.......................... Doc

G

dociron said:
You are correct my old friend,, because people will pay it,
and,,,,,,
because of the risk,, some places have gotten better,,
some have not.

I stopped growing in '83,,
25 years in Angola was a very sorry option.
It was looming large, still is that for some.
I hold no judgement for those who risk and charge accordingly :joint:

I grew from '76 to '83,

hell,, for all I know,, you were one of my first smugglers,, lol

the first herb I smoked came from Az. back when you were carrying,,
my friend?
,, for that?

Thank You!!! :woohoo:

As for Gasoline?,,

My first tank up was 19 cents a gallon,, yes,,

REALLY!! :yoinks:

with a nod and a light smile,, even a barely perceptible wink,,

Doc passes a joint and fades into the night,,

"peace brother" lightly echos through the thread.

Peace.......................... Doc

:fsu: :dueling: Hey dociron, what's up fellow P.C.? :friends: :hijacked:
Yes Weed has risen quite a bit. But, I am still growing. Soon will be getting secound grow crop in. :woohoo: Hopefully will last me until next grow season. :yummy:
I think the higher prices for weed is because of the ways they have to smuggle it in, and the people they have to pay off at the boarders to get it in. :chin:

Peace,
Thisbuds4u

G

Yes, we are taking big risks growing our own, but anymore, that's the only feasible way to ensure yourself of top-quality smoke.
My partner has our grow indoors & when it's harvest time & after all is dried & cured, I take a 70 mile drive & pick up my 40% [he gets 60% for risk factor & I pay for all seeds, nutrients, supplies & electricity].
It's a wonderful system we have going & in the meantime, I get 'care packages' sent to my safe address. Yesterday I just got some Apollo 11 & some Afghani Dream in the mail :woohoo: & I walked around with perma-grin all evening. :joint:
Right now, we're growing some Blue Widow & my favorite of all-time, Matanuska Thunderfuck :yummy:....I'm sure you've tried that stuff & in my 36 yrs of tokin, it's 1 of the strongest weed [besides Vietnamese Black] that I ever smoked. :yoinks:....I was fortunate enough to get 10 beans from a grower-friend in Humboldt County & out of 10 seeds, 8 of them are extremely beautiful!! As De Niro said in 'Goodfellas' [I'm changing seasons] -- "It's gonna be a good winta!!!!" :joint: :wave:

G

Oh yeah, wanted to mention this......

I realize that the weed prices reflect the risks involved with growing, curing, distributing, etc.....but what is the difference in freighters loaded with 5 tons of Colombian Red Bud & some teeny-bopper with a greenhouse in his basement, growing some AK-47 or some Blueberry to make prices climb by 2000%?
I still don't get it...........

G

zoltron said:
Oh yeah, wanted to mention this......

I realize that the weed prices reflect the risks involved with growing, curing, distributing, etc.....but what is the difference in freighters loaded with 5 tons of Colombian Red Bud & some teeny-bopper with a greenhouse in his basement, growing some AK-47 or some Blueberry to make prices climb by 2000%?
I still don't get it...........
GREED my man,GREED. I grow it to smoke it. Not to sell it. But I do share. Especially when it is a fellow P.C. (Partner in Crime) After all isn't it a crime to smoke pot as well as grow it? :moon: To good old Uncle Sam.

:wave:
Thisbuds4u

G

Thisbuds4u said:
GREED my man,GREED. I grow it to smoke it. Not to sell it. But I do share. Especially when it is a fellow P.C. (Partner in Crime) After all isn't it a crime to smoke pot as well as grow it? :moon: To good old Uncle Sam.

You're probably right...nowadays, it isn't like the days of 'freaks, heads & hippies', where we'd all just share what we had. If you're only spending $15-$25/lid, weed flowed freely amongst the masses. Now some of these peeps sell by the gram. Can you believe that shit? By the 'gram'? We'd be laughing our asses off if someone asked us in 1971, "Would you like to buy a gram of weed?" :pointlaug
I'm so glad I don't have to rely on distributors in this day & age. You'd need a 2nd mortgage just to have smoke $$$. :sasmokin:

Btw, that's some mighty fine looking bud-a-roonies you got going, TB4U. :joint:

HippieMama

zoltron said:
You're probably right...nowadays, it isn't like the days of 'freaks, heads & hippies', where we'd all just share what we had. If you're only spending $15-$25/lid, weed flowed freely amongst the masses. Now some of these peeps sell by the gram. Can you believe that shit? By the 'gram'? We'd be laughing our asses off if someone asked us in 1971, "Would you like to buy a gram of weed?" :pointlaug
I'm so glad I don't have to rely on distributors in this day & age. You'd need a 2nd mortgage just to have smoke $$$. :sasmokin:

Btw, that's some mighty fine looking bud-a-roonies you got going, TB4U. :joint:

I REFUSE to smoke schwagg so I pay 100 1/4 for *decent* smoke....I'm a new member of this forum and I am hoping to learn how to grow the dankity dankest....and from the little I have read so far, you guys/gals seem to really know what you're doing!! I am VERY IMPRESSED!! I have actually been blessed with a new friend that pointed me here and for that I am forever grateful :D I hope to BUY a house instead of spending my money on my medicine!!

Peace,

~HM

G

HippieMama said:
I REFUSE to smoke schwagg so I pay 100 1/4 for *decent* smoke....I'm a new member of this forum and I am hoping to learn how to grow the dankity dankest....and from the little I have read so far, you guys/gals seem to really know what you're doing!! I am VERY IMPRESSED!! I have actually been blessed with a new friend that pointed me here and for that I am forever grateful :D I hope to BUY a house instead of spending my money on my medicine!!

Peace,

~HM

You have definitely turned down the right road, HippieMama... :wave: :joint:

dociron

To ALL my friends

To ALL my friends

Yes,, even those I have not properly met yet,, :wave:

Tb4u,, I am soooooo glad you joined us,,

You were also on a VERY short list....

Lady O,,

Zoltron,,

and especially,,

pieceofmyheart,,

I honestly love icmag.

So I did what I could to bring you here.

This is the best forum I've found thus far,, and I will stay here.

Thanx to all who dwell here,, :joint:

I have found a community of wonderfull people here.

as for the thread? lol

Zolty apparently carried the first weed I ever smoked,,

may the goddess bless him forever!
(there is no emoticon for this,, trust me)

Son? I am soo glad you are here............. Doc

G

dociron said:
Zolty apparently carried the first weed I ever smoked,,

may the goddess bless him forever!
(there is no emoticon for this,, trust me)

Son? I am soo glad you are here............. Doc

Well, I tell ya, doc, this is 1 of the 2 places that seem to have the most seasoned tokers doing the ol' cyber-space-memory-lane stroll outta any others I've seen. Very cool people here. I also must say that UTG has the same qualities as here, but it does lack 1 of the reasons I post here -- dociron. You're good people, doc, & I might have been a 'link in the chain' that made the worm turn for you, bro. I'd like to think so anyway. :wave: :joint:

HippieMama

I noticed I posted in this thread & didn't even respond to the question of the OP, LOL

I have been smoking 25 years.....I tried it for the 1st time when I was 13.

Here's the story:

I met this DJ that I was calling on a local radio station.....I told him I was 17.
He was 21.

We had been talking alot on the phone and he wanted to meet me. He picked me up at my friend's house & we went to the beach. He pulled out
a huge bag of weed and rolled a spliff. That was the 1st time I had ever seen MJ. I *knew* about it, but had never had it before. I had started smoking cigarettes a few months before this so, I already knew how to smoke. I got really stoned with him. Later that night he took me to see Blue Oyster Cult. Everytime I hear the song "Burning For You" I think of that day :D

I was always a casual smoker & didn't become a regular/med user until 1999.

I have ALWAYS had a love affair w/cannabis & I am happy that I can commune daily. I look forward to the day that I don't have to pay for it anymore!!!

Peace,

~HM

Oh & by the way the same day I first saw MJ, I also saw my 1st penis, but that's a whole other story, LMAO!!

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
'I look forward to the day that I don't have to pay for it anymore!!!'

.....simple really....all you have to do is grow it....

HippieMama

Gypsy Nirvana said:
'I look forward to the day that I don't have to pay for it anymore!!!'

.....simple really....all you have to do is grow it....

It has taken a long time to get over my paranoia.....I had to locate a place where I felt comfortable doing it, and I finally have :D

My 1st grow will be in the spring outdoor, with around 40 plants. How is it best to store quantity over months time?

Best,

~HM

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
'How is it best to store quantity over months time?'

In glass mason jars.......

...or vacuum seal it in plastic and freeze it....

redbone

Hey Zoltron!

Hey Zoltron!

I was jsut thinking about that good old Jamaican pot we around Chicago back then. Came into Meigs didn't it?