What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Well old stoners, how long have you been smoking and what got you started?

hamstring

Veteran
Well I'm over 50 but didn't start smoking until I went into the Navy. Before that I was totally into sports and always looked down on the stoners in high school.

It seems so juvenile now but thats how I viewed it back then. I still work out 6 days a week so you can do both.

St. Phatty

Started in the early 70's, stopped when I was in college, started again in the 1980's.

First medical use was in the early 80's, to help me deal with heartburn from a case of "My boss is an asshole-itis" (common affliction in Silicon Valley.)

It was SO MUCH BETTER than Tagamet & Zantac, the doctor-prescribed heartburn meds.

flamstaa

Yep. I'm 57. First splif in high school at 12 but it didn't get me high. A year or so later I another made from Thai grass, boy o boy did that work! A bit on and off since then with a 10 year break at one point

M

mugenbao

I started in the early 80's, with a few isolated experiences in the late '70s. Smoked pot (and drank a ton and did other drugs) all day every day through the '90s, then had kids and gave up everything to focus on a professional career and raising the children.

Starting using cannabis again primarily for medical reasons a few years ago, although I do like to have a toke now and then just because I feel like it. No more wake and bake or all day smoking, those days are over for me, but a few good puffs once in awhile can really make some days a whole lot better :D

Ralp

The Vaqueros that worked the ranch hand seasons. The laborers doing stucco on homes and buildings. Gave up those cedar barked fence posts peelings rolled in newspaper when I watched the hobo's fight over the cig butts Mexicans left on break time. Oh yea I was 10 that was 61 bought kilos for $40 back then. You could get a whole pouch full if ya snuck into the bunkhouse right after breakfast and all meet at the tack room office for morning chores. little here little there never noticed since most brung 3 kilos or more with them and left them open all over the house. That was around Columbus NM that was usual that was life that was the S
Southwest at one time.

Q

QueenB

I have been smoking for 18 years. The first time was with my mother. She told me it would calm me down.. I have smoked daily for at least ten years now. I have been helping grow for a year. I love to grow my own because I don't run out! and it is good stuff!! I smoke because it helps calm my nerves. I have bad nerves and it just helps me calm the fuck down. LOL

Hank Hemp

Veteran
March 14th 1970 tay ninh on bunker guard. squad leader said everybody smoked in his squad and everyone agreed. I love sativas.

started a bit late

started a bit late

im 43 and i started at 17....old nl, afghani,nigerian,blueberry......that was the shit...before that was brownie from the county......old heads had great genetics and were lucky enough to get in with the right peeps...

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm 47(I think-what year is this?)
In 1984 I was assigned a project for journalism class. We were looking at the war on drugs. At the time I wasn't that much into herb, it was something my parents and their friends were into(those friends were my future teachers) so definitely not cool
I had smoked on and off but was into lsd and speed.
Speed at the time was no more than the pill form of a red bull or monster...Not meth
For my assignment I got cannabis, and I was pissed. I wanted to do cocaine man...Miami vice and shit.. Started doing research in the library. No internet of course. In my research materials I found three points that sparked my interest in Canna within 10 minutes:
1) found it was a schedule 1 drug(which led me to the schedule)
2) schedule 1 drugs had no medicinal value
3) cannabis HAD medicinal value
All three points were found within 4-5 pages of the same text!
I was dumbfounded that a 15 year old cut off from the world in a little town in Alaska could see, without question, that cannabis didn't belong on schedule 1.
Blew my fucking mind and made me wonder why?
So began the obsession that lasts til this day.

bigAl25

Veteran
Marines coming back from Vietnam bringing that Vietnam ganja back for friends to try. Right after that the Mexican started showing up. By the way Robert did not make it back the second time. God rest his soul, we loved him and still do. Fuck the politicians who got us into the Vietnam war, may their souls suffer forever. Peace and respect ganja consumers/growers.

webeblzr

In the spring of 1971.
The very first time, just a packed up corncob pipe, but did not feel much.
However, the following weekend, he had some kind of hash, from Baltimore, again in a corn cob pipe.
I remember coughing like a madman, and throwing up from the spinning.
I was hooked to a life of being a canna being.

beaver50

Im 49,the first time I got high.I was 12 and they had just put in a public swimming pool.They hadnt put water in it yet.The local heads would gather up there and get high.I senn a couple older friends I had and stopped.They got me high while setting in the rafters.I got so high I couldnt jump down.I was destroyed,a lot of them old friends are dead now.I miss them very much!!

EastFortRock

I been a light smoker for 40 years and took a five year break in there. I did it a few times from the age of 13 , but the first time it got me stoned I was 15 and it was overwhelming (Colombian), so I avoided it until 17 , when a friend was into it and it was a fun party buzz. Then I started to like it . My job keeps me a light consumer , but a small grow , off and on for about 8 years, has kept my stash from ever running out. (That's with giving about 90 percent of it away too!)

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spring of 79,,,,,15 yrs old,,thai stick,,,
am now nearly 53yrs old,,,,,s2

Budley Doright

Veteran
KInd of a long story.... 1972 or 1973....

I was a kid about 20....straight as an arrow....

I was in the air force stationed in Turkey....

I had been there awhile a few months...... I won a booze raffle 6 bottles of boones farm..

I had purchased a turntable and amplifier but no speakers so I bought some nice headphones... also bought a few albums to listen to....

Anyway one of the stoners who smoked hash.....turkey has some great hash......

He offered me a bar of pressed hash the size of a hershey bar in exchange for the booze.....

He showed me how to pin a piece of hash using a glass and a music album.....

I turned on the music smoked some hash for the first time and got blasted....

THe album????? The dark side of the moon....... Pink Floyd

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Summer of '69... My buddies and I were still in high school and were hoping to get turned on...
John's older brother asked us if we wanted to smoke some black hash one day...
We went up to his room and got stoned for our first time, listening to Steppenwolf's first album with "Born to be Wild"...