What's new

Weird pH problem with Nutes (GH and Botanicare)

MJ-XILE

Well, I guess I wasn't out of the woods. Checked pH of the Rez I thought had stabilized, back at 4.8. I have used sooo much pH up trying to get just that one veg Rez to stabilize, very frustrated right now...

I also did a test bucket adding cal-mag first and It came in even lower at 2.9 WTF?

I called Botanocare and told them my experience. He said I was underfeeding them but using too many additives. I told him that I only cut to half strength in response to having the issues at full strength, but he said he was sure I was underfeeding them since my PPM's were so low. Not sure that makes sense but whatevs...

The advice he gave me was to just use PBP, Cal-Mag, and Aquashield and bring the ppm's to 1000. Guess that's my only option at this point. SMH...

El Toker

Well, I guess I wasn't out of the woods. Checked pH of the Rez I thought had stabilized, back at 4.8. I have used sooo much pH up trying to get just that one veg Rez to stabilize, very frustrated right now...

I also did a test bucket adding cal-mag first and It came in even lower at 2.9 WTF?

I called Botanocare and told them my experience. He said I was underfeeding them but using too many additives. I told him that I only cut to half strength in response to having the issues at full strength, but he said he was sure I was underfeeding them since my PPM's were so low. Not sure that makes sense but whatevs...

The advice he gave me was to just use PBP, Cal-Mag, and Aquashield and bring the ppm's to 1000. Guess that's my only option at this point. SMH...

You've got yourself a much better and cheaper option. Pour all that snake oil down the drain get yourself two part vegging and flowering nutrients, and use them at half the recommended dosage. All other things being right, you'll get a healthy looking plant with a good yield.

:cuss:

Some interesting results there.. I'm suspecting meter. If you meter is bad and your pumping all this hydroxide/phup into your tank, the results will look similar as well. :-/ Do you ahve access to a PH test liquid kit to back up the results you are seeing with just calmag?!

MJ-XILE

:cuss:

Some interesting results there.. I'm suspecting meter. If you meter is bad and your pumping all this hydroxide/phup into your tank, the results will look similar as well. :-/ Do you ahve access to a PH test liquid kit to back up the results you are seeing with just calmag?!

No, I'll get one though. I check the calibration in pH 7.0 and pH 4.0 cal solution before each use though, plus the pics a few pages back are before using any pH Up...

The good news is that all of my flower rez's are actually going up or staying at 6.1, so I was able to add more nutes to bring it under 6 and up the PPM's to 1000-1200 like the Botanincare guy said. I haven't dumped the batch yet because I want to see if I can get everything to stabilize.

The Veg rez is the one I am having the most trouble with, but it is a large system at 100 Gals with 18 plants varying from 1'-6' tall so that could be effecting the pH as well in that system. They look beautiful as ever though, but are showing a couple leaves that could either be not getting enough light (choked out) or pH lockout from the swings, not a lot though.

I am hesitant to put any more into flower (I'm perpetual, 4 plants every two weeks in and out) until i get this thing absolutely figured out. I am keeping a journal of each Rez's starting pH and ppm's, as well as after adjustment so that I can really keep track of whats going on. If all is well in a few days I will continue my perpetual cycle. Hopefully this all works out for the best.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Six bucks will get u small ph tester bottle at any store & as about reliable as anything for quick general read of your ph. Found spending money for ph testers generally a waste of money , given they so frequently give off readings if not maintained properly... though maybe the newest generations of them are more reliable ??

Base nutes @ 800 or so with additives/ calmag etc to 1000ppms with any quality nutes should fall near ideal range without much adjustment, tho found some like Humboldt ran excessively acidic. GHs flora nova & 3 part series always tamed slightly alkaline water to perfect range every time. Agree with ugmjfarmer, check that meter, get some ph testing solution

Latest posts

Latest posts