What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed tourist - Vancouver or denver

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran

As far as dispensaries for long flowering sativas, I think I've mentioned Farma before, which is in Buckman. It's expensive, but has a great selection of organic, boutique buds, and I've gone in there specifically to buy sativas like malawi and panama red before.

looked at farma's menu on leafly yesterday...
https://www.leafly.com/dispensary-info/farma/menu
...and saw they had super silver haze and durban poison.

closer inspection of the menu says the durban is the "Mount Hood Magic cut"- which is durban crossed with NL5, and leads to stonier effects.
https://www.allbud.com/marijuana-strains/hybrid/mt-hood-magic

the budtender at farma had no idea what i was talking about regarding the NL5 element, and just kept repeating "it's an african landrace".
another budtender elsewhere told me all strains have the same effect, you just choose based on the taste/flavor you're looking for.
:moon:

most, if not all, the durban you find here will be the Mount Hood Magic cut.
the dispensaries/budtenders here will be a let-down if you're a true sativa hound, especially if you've already grown out the likes of zamaldelica, green haze thai, golden tiger, etc.
(i also find amsterdam to be a sativa let-down, except when the breeders bring out the good stuff come cup time.)
most weed here is for medicinal purposes, and so even if listed as a sativa, it won't be a fire sativa.
the local farms where the dispensaries get their product are limited to fast-flowering indica-leaners, at this latitude.

btw, i bought the super silver haze at farma, and it's another stony let-down.
thankfully i've got (f13 x johnnyblaze) and (nepalHaze x greenHazeThai) curing in the basement,
and nevils haze, green haze thai (my 2 yr. keeper cut), and sam's o.haze x sk1 5+ weeks in flower.

on a lighter note, portland's becoming a destination for luxury cat-lodging...
http://www.oregonlive.com/window-sh..._hotel_northeast_portland.html#incart_m-rpt-2

excerpt
Owner Lisa Hernandez said she and business partner and longtime Portland dog-walker Ginger Matyas saw a need for a hotel with a holistic approach to feline lodging.

"We're not just going to give them a toy to play with," Hernandez said. "We're really focusing on all their physiological and emotional needs."

:biggrin:

@lowfalutin @thesloppy

Outstanding info gents. I think we should get this thread renamed and pinned , a gastro stoners guide to Portland :tiphat:

Lol love the hipster club description btw

Going have a proper read through your comments., but can tell you I'm going be all over Zells for breakfast :). totally agree, when you somewhere best ting to do is go native for best / real food. And you right we have pretty much zero authentic Mexican food in UK as there ain't any Mexicans here - keep,that to yourselves cases Trump decides to move over. So I'm on that too. Like any of you find yourselves in UK, got to have fish & chips (by the seaside ideally :) ) but also got to try an Indian / curry as that's the closest you going get bar Bombay!

Anyway bad news on the bus side, I thought that might be the case. So basically trust my instinct not the bud tender :)

Boys real shame you don't have a coffee shop scene like in the Dam, as I'd defiantly like to roll and share a fat one with you gents
Who knows maybeyou hear an English accent...most probably lost Mid May, holla. 'Viking?'

:thank you:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Canada is a better destination for a UK tourist. Less of a culture shock than in 'merica and we're loaded up with expats from the UK. Plus you're much less likely to be shot.

No legal recreational but it flows like water. The key is to know a local toker, preferably one that can show you the islands and other points of interest.

I think if you wanted to show up and smoke like a prepackaged beer and sand trip to Mexico, the rec states would be better. It would just be more interesting to come here if you're an "off the beaten track" kind of person.

There's a reason like minded people flock here from down south and back east ;)

but you are NOT gonna rent any machine guns in Canada!!!

mgs2_zpsraffiuwp.gif

I was in my favorite gun store (guns in open racks for customers to handle) when a very sweet Dutch girl wandered in, her eyes were wide in awe, she asked if she were allowed to be where she was standing. She made sure to have us take several pics of her holding assault style weapons & pistols. She kept saying that her friends and family weren't going to believe it.

Anyway, if you'd like to sample some of the freedoms the father's of our country fought so hard for, stop on by stateside.......

mgs1_zpsqifq3iq5.gif

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Outstanding info gents. I think we should get this thread renamed and pinned , a gastro stoners guide to Portland :tiphat:

for something you don't find across the pond too often, try some scratch-made southern cooking...
http://www.missdeltapdx.net/#a1
...located along one of our better night-life/weekend afternoon stretches, n. mississippi ave...
http://mississippiave.com/interactive-map/

Anyway bad news on the bus side, I thought that might be the case. So basically trust my instinct not the bud tender :)
...and maybe try buying gram samples first, before committing to 1/8s and 1/4s.
go after the larger purchase after you've verified it's to your (financial) liking.
also, remember most places don't include the additional 25% recreational tax on their menu prices.
blue sky does, though, and's been rated tops in portland on leafly three months running; and they have a variety-oriented 1000 - 1200 daily, 10% off on grams-
"DAILY HAPPY HOUR (We call it "NUG BRUNCH!") - 10% off EVERY day from 10 A.M. to NOON! - 7.0 gram daily limit applies for REC (not combined with other discounts or offers) OMMP - 10% off FLOWER ONLY."
https://www.leafly.com/dispensary-info/blue-sky-portland/menu

Boys real shame you don't have a coffee shop scene like in the Dam, as I'd defiantly like to roll and share a fat one with you gents
Who knows maybeyou hear an English accent...most probably lost Mid May, holla. 'Viking?'
:thank you:
we make up for it with an excellent pub/happy hour scene.
if you want to go out to discretely toke/vape up, just put a beer coaster on your pint to save your drink/spot.

saludos

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Blue Star Donuts is supposed to be much better than Voodoo for what it's worth. If you like coffee Coava has great coffee.

T

thesloppy

Blue Star Donuts is supposed to be much better than Voodoo for what it's worth.

I always hear that, but then the grouchy old man inside of me can never allow myself to spend $4 on a donut, so I just stare at them through the window....some day. My jams is 'Delicious Donuts' in a sketchy strip mall on E. Grand and Burnside, run by a young Vietnamese couple (go figure).

T

thesloppy

we make up for it with an excellent pub/happy hour scene.
if you want to go out to discretely toke/vape up, just put a beer coaster on your pint to save your drink/spot.

saludos

Yeah, since public smoking's been outlawed indoors half the bars have some sort of half-assed, attached smoking-patio, and there always seems to be someone in the corner puffing away on something questionable. Conceivably I guess you could get kicked out, but that's the worst thing that could happen, I've never seen it, and then you'd only have to stumble a couple blocks to the next bar in order to try it again.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
smoking in venues is pretty standard in colorado, many have makeshift smoking areas as well.... some are more supportive than others.
still more smoke clubs popping up quietly and going away loudly in colorado....

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I've heard that those $4 donuts are delicious. I don't mind paying as long as I feel like the experience was worth it. It's overpaying, and then being letdown that really irritates me. If I'm paying that much for a donut I want to be blown away. Thanks for the tip on the other donut shop. There was a donut shop near me in Oakland that had better croissants than the traditional french bakery in the much fancier neighborhood.

There's a lot of smoke clubs popping up in Norcal right now, but I imagine that once they attract enough attention they will be shut down quite loudly. It's one thing to do a popup(a la Secret Sesh etc....), but to maintain an everyday establishment is quite another thing. They're not just allowing smoking, but they're also allowing vendors. Definitely a grey area.

Was looking up Delicious Donuts and this is the picture that comes up in Google Maps. So you know it's good!

picture.php

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
some more...

Warm up for Portland's new Quarterworld arcade with these 5 other gaming spots
http://www.oregonlive.com/entertain...for_portlands_new_quar.html#incart_river_home
-867e24f0326e8b3d.jpg

11 oregon bars with spectacular views
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/04/11_oregon_bars_with_spectacula.html#0
20073578-standard.jpg

portland's best patios
http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2016/04/portlands_best_patios_bars_and.html#0
20007493-standard.jpg

the white bldg in the background is danish windpower company, vestas' offices

best late night eats
http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2016/01/portland_late-night_restaurant_1.html#0
16027333-standard.jpg

Weather looking swell in Portland next week! Going make myself a big guide this weekend so I don't spend all my time reading these posts again! Roll one smoke one! :)

T

thesloppy

It's been gorgeous here all week, but the weekend's looking rainy. Hope you're able to catch some of the nice weather!

Portland..just wow

Portland..just wow

:wave:

Well what a weekend to end up in Portland! Sitting drinking a beer having a taco down division. The quality of the bud...amazing!

First shop brothers cannabis club or something rubbish. Walked out so called bud tender couldn't even tell me which ones where Organic?! Apparently only the owner knew who wasn't there... :moon:

2nd one rip city remedies much better. Dead helpful, knew a bit and got the organic super sour D.
3rd one Pharma..off th scale. Great choice and knowledge tender. Guy with beard. Top man. Got some outdoor grown face off Og, and sour Tusami 23%cbd to have a go, LoS grown. Love it. The lab analysis etc etc. Man alive you guys are so lucky to have legalisation. Don't even think of coming to Amsterdam!!!

Over and out...the adventure continues :)

:jump::biggrin:

T

thesloppy

:wave:

Well what a weekend to end up in Portland! Sitting drinking a beer having a taco down division. The quality of the bud...amazing!

First shop brothers cannabis club or something rubbish. Walked out so called bud tender couldn't even tell me which ones where Organic?! Apparently only the owner knew who wasn't there... :moon:

2nd one rip city remedies much better. Dead helpful, knew a bit and got the organic super sour D.
3rd one Pharma..off th scale. Great choice and knowledge tender. Guy with beard. Top man. Got some outdoor grown face off Og, and sour Tusami 23%cbd to have a go, LoS grown. Love it. The lab analysis etc etc. Man alive you guys are so lucky to have legalisation. Don't even think of coming to Amsterdam!!!

Over and out...the adventure continues :)

:jump::biggrin:

Awesome. vl! Glad you found some good bud, a beer and some tacos! You're already in the PDX flow. Enjoy the beautiful weather, everything's blooming, and this is when Portland looks its best.