What's new

WEED PRICES CRASH!!!!!!!!!!

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
$500oz sour d all day in my area take it or leave it... 6400lb all day... these are the numbers around my neck of the woods.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
usually pay 36 for sour D here in oakland california.....paid higher in the past too.

currently smokin SOur too...man i love the smell and taste cant get enough of it.

Luigi4Bud

thanks for the answers on the middlemen/brokers. If I am wrong please tell me, but what I understood from the responses is that you should avoid them. Is that correct?

W

whiterasta

To Owl Mirror:
I think you missed my point boldly and in red letters.
I think the system of non-compensation is completely wrong and one of the biggest flaws of the OMMA. I spent six yrs as a care giver in that time it COST me well over 1000/yr out of my pocket to do so.
I have had patients completely stiff me on supplies and power for a whole crop then come demanding their plants anyway. Had one whose use seemed to skyrocket till I learned I was growing so he could sell it.Granted there are bad caregivers who shaft patients but the OMMA type model that a lot of states are looking at assures the caregiver gets nothing for their efforts and concern in producing cannabis. This encourages diversion of product to outside sale and poor caregiving.
You may not like where Cali and Colo are but working under the OMMA type systems is keeping meds from patients and the best producers of cannabis from taking on complete responsibility for anothers medicine. It simply is not worth the trouble, risk and worry.
WR:deadxmas:

gomer

Luigi4Bud,
I think it depends on how well you know and trust the broker and your situation. Personally I have no problem giving my broker a cut to sell my product. I have known him for years and this way he is one of only two people that know I grow. My broker is a legit businessman during the day. I feel much more comfortable swinging by his office and going out to lunch with him to discuss the current situation than I would phoning up several people and asking if they need anything. There are times such as right now where I might do better knowing several people who want small amounts but I can wait a month or two.

I agree with Lazyman's post on current prices. At least in the part of the bay area where I am.

Luigi4Bud

Luigi4Bud,
I think it depends on how well you know and trust the broker and your situation. Personally I have no problem giving my broker a cut to sell my product. I have known him for years and this way he is one of only two people that know I grow. My broker is a legit businessman during the day. I feel much more comfortable swinging by his office and going out to lunch with him to discuss the current situation than I would phoning up several people and asking if they need anything. There are times such as right now where I might do better knowing several people who want small amounts but I can wait a month or two.

I agree with Lazyman's post on current prices. At least in the part of the bay area where I am.

thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm not sure of the protocol on this site, but is it OK to PM you?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
To Owl Mirror:
I think you missed my point boldly and in red letters.
I think the system of non-compensation is completely wrong and one of the biggest flaws of the OMMA. I spent six yrs as a care giver in that time it COST me well over 1000/yr out of my pocket to do so.
I have had patients completely stiff me on supplies and power for a whole crop then come demanding their plants anyway. Had one whose use seemed to skyrocket till I learned I was growing so he could sell it.Granted there are bad caregivers who shaft patients but the OMMA type model that a lot of states are looking at assures the caregiver gets nothing for their efforts and concern in producing cannabis. This encourages diversion of product to outside sale and poor caregiving.
You may not like where Cali and Colo are but working under the OMMA type systems is keeping meds from patients and the best producers of cannabis from taking on complete responsibility for anothers medicine. It simply is not worth the trouble, risk and worry.

I understand your concerns, that is why I recommend these programs promote the caregiver role as one of a mentor.
Even if the patient is totally unable to grow for themselves, the plants should be grown under their control. This model has the patient paying all the costs, taking the risk, while they are mentored towards self-sufficiency. Perhaps the patient has a friend or relative be responsible for the grow room and is mentored by someone with experience?

All I know is that fostering a culture of disassociated growers to supply a storefront marketplace is not beneficial for the patients.
A person could offer to mentor up to five patients per week.
Monitor the conditions and water/fertilize the plants once a week per schedule.

This would take a caregiver/mentor about 30 minutes, once a week.
The compensation level could be based on an agreed upon hourly wage plus mileage.
If the patient paid for the true costs of the grow, plus a standard hourly wage to the mentor, the patient would have their entire crop without the inflated prices and mark-ups by the middlemen.

Besides, caring for plants is therapeutic and may benefit the patient by occupying their time.

zenoonez

Veteran
Dissociate producers seem to work for nearly every other situation in which a product changes hands. Does your butcher teach you how to slaughter an animal? Do you even have a butcher? We live in a consumption society and there is nothing wrong with the storefront model. The problem lays in the fact that weed is still illegal except in cases of medicinal use. A completely unnecessary infringement upon our rights which doubles to keep weed expensive to prevent diversion to the black market. You want people to have inexpensive weed? Overgrow the nation and make weed a common commodity which is bought and sold in large scale.

InfectedMush

I have a mmj rec up in WA state and get, on a regular basis, 6-8$/g in bulk (lbs) to the "quasi-legal" dispensaries or 10-15/gram under an oz to patients. Clones go for about 20-25$. Our laws are fucked up so we have to do this legal shin-dig and wrap it all up under the term "donation" and have forms signed that say that it is donation and/or compensation for time/materials and that the "donater" was the provider for 5 minutes in which the patient recieved the bud/clones. What a bunch of legal bullshit.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
DC's new MMJ law is the best. It looks like the District gov't is even going to be buying medicine for the poor. Hopefully they won't have to be forced to do so through litigation. The Initiative seems pretty clear to me but you know how bureaucrats can be. All the other medical states should take a look at Initiative 59, and see how it should be done.

M

Marywanna

Sorry to hear this. I can't believe that it takes months to switch caregivers. Unbelievable. When you hear stuff like that you realize that most people think the "medical" aspect of medical marijuana is a facade; no chance the "paperwork" work take days let alone months if you were switching Pharmacists for your Xanax script.

We've got a long, long way to go, and I'm very sorry that you and your friends are apparently stuck in the cross-hairs.
We do have a great guy as a CG now. My daughter and I are both MMJ pts. But he broke the law and gave me meds before the paperwork came back. He took a big risk doing that. But the former designated CG kept all 24 plants(each pt is allowed 12 plants) and thats what pissed me off the most. He got to grow 24 plants and we got nothing. Pts are legally able to purchase,but you think I am going downtown?? NO WAY. Detroit is real scarey.I have experience,but what about the MMJ pt that doesn't? Like your Grandma? If you don't know or get with someone honest you are screwed.Many people ARE disabled and cannot drive or even consider growing for themselves.I am not complaining about prices,I know what street prices are.I am just saying that there have been some pretty sleazy types here,forming a "business" then left most of the pts in a real lurch.As soon as the law changed,the scumbags come out and figure a way to rip people off.Thats all I meant by my comments,not trying to offend anyone. Mary

W

whiterasta

I understand your concerns, that is why I recommend these programs promote the caregiver role as one of a mentor.
Even if the patient is totally unable to grow for themselves, the plants should be grown under their control. This model has the patient paying all the costs, taking the risk, while they are mentored towards self-sufficiency. Perhaps the patient has a friend or relative be responsible for the grow room and is mentored by someone with experience?

All I know is that fostering a culture of disassociated growers to supply a storefront marketplace is not beneficial for the patients.
A person could offer to mentor up to five patients per week.
Monitor the conditions and water/fertilize the plants once a week per schedule.

This would take a caregiver/mentor about 30 minutes, once a week.
The compensation level could be based on an agreed upon hourly wage plus mileage.

If the patient paid for the true costs of the grow, plus a standard hourly wage to the mentor, the patient would have their entire crop without the inflated prices and mark-ups by the middlemen.

Besides, caring for plants is therapeutic and may benefit the patient by occupying their time.

As I said I was a seriously dedicated caregiver with my own thing going so my patients got ALL of their plants minus a single zip as a quality marker till next crop then smoked myself. During this time with four patients at a time i was putting in 25hrs a week(~4hrs /day). Between garden care, deliveries and supply trips, Just listening to the folks I cared for, Living in a secure location out of town(travel time).Harvesting and curing.
Your estimate of 30 minutes once a week is way too low to
1) service the grow, there will be the odd day one could get in and out in 30 minutes but that will be the exception not the rule. when helping tend gardens for inexperienced growers (and I have filled this role also) I have come into disasters more than once which took me sometimes days to sort out, dead ballast, dead crop, no one looked at the room since I was there. It took a week to set them back up with a salvaged ballast I rebuilt and hunting down some decent clones to restart and since they were very poor guess who paid?
2) true cost of the grow. That is what you are not getting. the true cost of the grow.
As a caregiver you either get involved with the patient or you are no CARE giver. The true cost of caregiving is not in money, it is in broken hearts and loss. For some of my patients over the yrs I gave essentially hospice care and end of life counseling. Over my head, beyond my emotional limits quite often and many lost nights sleep.
The patient helping patient model is a very nice concept but does little to bring the cannabis to the pipe. There needs to be a way for those who already are excellent growers to do so with reasonable compensation and patients who do not wish to grow to get there meds.
Your mentor idea is a concept behind our failing system, but ignores the fact that some patients absolutely cannot grow and some absolutely do not want to grow. Since I have lived this system since 1999 I think I can give an accurate assesment on it's workability, or lack thereof.
The ONLY way patients are going to have complete access to quality med cannabis is by having professional growers AND personal grows. State licensing and quality control by the dept of Ag for growers who must produce USP quality to be sold (the same for rec cannabis post legalization) This is just the proper way to handle an herb/plant product and the system already exists.
The fact is there are some folks who need to simply purchase their cannabis not grow it. Ignoring this fact will not create the semi-utopian mentor/patient system and make it work, it will only continue the drive for inexpensive accessable cannabis and the market is the best way to produce it.
a bit of a coffee rant but i hope ya'll can see from my experiences that the OMMA model is no better than the Cali/Colo model and worse in patient access.
Yours,

Owl Mirror

Veteran
As I said I was a seriously dedicated caregiver with my own thing going so my patients got ALL of their plants minus a single zip as a quality marker till next crop then smoked myself. During this time with four patients at a time i was putting in 25hrs a week(~4hrs /day). Between garden care, deliveries and supply trips, Just listening to the folks I cared for, Living in a secure location out of town(travel time).Harvesting and curing.
Your estimate of 30 minutes once a week is way too low to
1) service the grow, there will be the odd day one could get in and out in 30 minutes but that will be the exception not the rule. when helping tend gardens for inexperienced growers (and I have filled this role also) I have come into disasters more than once which took me sometimes days to sort out, dead ballast, dead crop, no one looked at the room since I was there. It took a week to set them back up with a salvaged ballast I rebuilt and hunting down some decent clones to restart and since they were very poor guess who paid?
2) true cost of the grow. That is what you are not getting. the true cost of the grow.
As a caregiver you either get involved with the patient or you are no CARE giver. The true cost of caregiving is not in money, it is in broken hearts and loss. For some of my patients over the yrs I gave essentially hospice care and end of life counseling. Over my head, beyond my emotional limits quite often and many lost nights sleep.
The patient helping patient model is a very nice concept but does little to bring the cannabis to the pipe. There needs to be a way for those who already are excellent growers to do so with reasonable compensation and patients who do not wish to grow to get there meds.
Your mentor idea is a concept behind our failing system, but ignores the fact that some patients absolutely cannot grow and some absolutely do not want to grow. Since I have lived this system since 1999 I think I can give an accurate assesment on it's workability, or lack thereof.
The ONLY way patients are going to have complete access to quality med cannabis is by having professional growers AND personal grows. State licensing and quality control by the dept of Ag for growers who must produce USP quality to be sold (the same for rec cannabis post legalization) This is just the proper way to handle an herb/plant product and the system already exists.
The fact is there are some folks who need to simply purchase their cannabis not grow it. Ignoring this fact will not create the semi-utopian mentor/patient system and make it work, it will only continue the drive for inexpensive accessable cannabis and the market is the best way to produce it.
a bit of a coffee rant but i hope ya'll can see from my experiences that the OMMA model is no better than the Cali/Colo model and worse in patient access.
Yours,

Thank-you for explaining your experiences. I can see both professional and patient growers existing side by side. I would like to see the dynamic changed in favor of self-sustaining with a smaller role for store front consumers. Today the drive is towards a purchased product that can be tracked and taxed. If the Medical Marijuana community would promote a voluntary mentor-based program for those who wish to try growing their own. I believe a majority of people would feel more comfortable investing in lights, etc.
Most people haven't done anything like this and are apprehensive, as well as not wanting to waste precious money on something and fail.

Given the support, I believe many more would opt to grow their own crops for the actual costs and not inflated storefront prices.