What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wearing Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Yes dark overlords like Betty's book and knitting club down the road. Scary stuff....although it is said tunnels from her basement connect to a pizza place.

i got a tunnel like that too! hate dealing with traffic going for a thin-crust pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, jalapenos, and green peppers. ;)

JCF

Agreed. My wife and I agreed back in Feb. of 2020 to assign the responsibility of our health to someone else is just plain wrong and stupid. Our health is our responsibility. The truth is if this virus was truly deadly there would be no one on the streets.

Gry

Veteran
CDC: Act Now Against Highly Infectious COVID B.1.1.7

January 18, 2021
If quick action isn’t taken, then the highly infectious B.1.1.7 variant of COVID-19 will become the main variant in the United States by March, further burdening our already overburdened health care system.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) wants to get across to the public, elected officials and health care professionals that a quick response must be taken against the highly infectious strain of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) that first emerged in the United Kingdom. If that response doesn’t come, then B.1.1.7 will become the dominant strain of COVID-19 in the United States by March. There are 76 known cases of B.1.1.7 in the US as of this writing. The COVID-19 vaccines should be effective against B.1.1.7, but that’s not the point. More infections mean more hospitalizations and higher mortality rates, all of which puts more strain on an already strained-to-the-hilt health care system.
“The experience in the United Kingdom and the B.1.1.7 models presented in this report illustrate the impact a more contagious variant can have on the number of cases in a population,” says a study published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. “The increased transmissibility of this variant requires an even more rigorous combined implementation of vaccination and mitigation measures (e.g., distancing, masking, and hand hygiene) to control the spread of SARS-CoV-2. These measures will be more effective if they are instituted sooner rather than later to slow the initial spread of the B.1.1.7 variant.”

President-elect Joe Biden wants to distribute 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in his first 100 days. They’ll be needed, says the study. “Increased transmissibility also means that higher than anticipated vaccination coverage must be attained to achieve the same level of disease control to protect the public compared with less transmissible variants,” the study states.
The CDC leads a coordinated effort that includes states, academia, industry and local health officials to enhance genomic surveillance of COVID-19 across the US. “Multiple lines of evidence indicate that B.1.1.7 is more efficiently transmitted compared with other SARS-CoV-2 variants circulating in the United Kingdom,” the study states. “UK regions with a higher proportion of B.1.1.7 sequences had faster epidemic growth than did other areas, diagnoses with SGTF[S-gene target failure] increased faster than did non-SGTF diagnoses in the same areas, and a higher proportion of contacts were infected by index patients with B.1.1.7 infections than by index patients infected with other variants.”
CDC investigators examine multiple models of how B.1.1.7 might spread. One of the models assumes that 1 million COVID-19 vaccines are distributed a day, beginning January 1, 2021. That model also says that 95% herd immunity was achieved 14 days after people were given the second dose of the vaccine. Obviously, this hasn’t happened (whether we can ever achieve herd immunity against COVID-19 is a matter of debate), but the investigators wanted to see how much a threat B.1.1.7 would present if near universal immunity against infection is assumed.
“In this model, B.1.1.7 prevalence is initially low, yet because it is more transmissible than are current variants, it exhibits rapid growth in early 2021, becoming the predominant variant in March,” the study state. “Whether transmission of current variants is increasing (initial Rt = 1.1) or slowly decreasing (initial Rt = 0.9) in January, B.1.1.7 drives a substantial change in the transmission trajectory and a new phase of exponential growth. With vaccination that protects against infection, the early epidemic trajectories do not change and B.1.1.7 spread still occurs.
However, in this model, after B.1.1.7’s transmission is substantially reduced after it becomes the dominant strain.
“The effect of vaccination on reducing transmission in the near term was greatest in the scenario in which transmission was already decreasing (initial Rt = 0.9),” the study states. “Early efforts that can limit the spread of the B.1.1.7 variant, such as universal and increased compliance with public health mitigation strategies, will allow more time for ongoing vaccination to achieve higher population-level immunity.”
The CDC’s findings come as COVID-19 rages out of control. Hospitals are packed. Infection preventionists and other health care professionals are working around the clock. They’re exhausted. Rochelle Walensky, MD, who will head the CDC in the Biden administration, warns that the death toll in the United States could very well reach 500,000 by mid-February. Yesterday, 1723 people died from COVID-19 in the US, while the country saw 174,513 newly confirmed cases of the disease, according to Johns Hopkins University.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/cdc-act-now-against-highly-infectious-covid-b-1-1-7

h.h.

Veteran
Agreed. My wife and I agreed back in Feb. of 2020 to assign the responsibility of our health to someone else is just plain wrong and stupid. Our health is our responsibility. The truth is if this virus was truly deadly there would be no one on the streets.

Agree.

Agree.

Nope.

h.h.

Veteran
CDC: Act Now Against Highly Infectious COVID B.1.1.7

January 18, 2021
If quick action isn’t taken, then the highly infectious B.1.1.7 variant of COVID-19 will become the main variant in the United States by March, further burdening our already overburdened health care system.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) wants to get across to the public, elected officials and health care professionals that a quick response must be taken against the highly infectious strain of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) that first emerged in the United Kingdom. If that response doesn’t come, then B.1.1.7 will become the dominant strain of COVID-19 in the United States by March. There are 76 known cases of B.1.1.7 in the US as of this writing. The COVID-19 vaccines should be effective against B.1.1.7, but that’s not the point. More infections mean more hospitalizations and higher mortality rates, all of which puts more strain on an already strained-to-the-hilt health care system.
“The experience in the United Kingdom and the B.1.1.7 models presented in this report illustrate the impact a more contagious variant can have on the number of cases in a population,” says a study published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. “The increased transmissibility of this variant requires an even more rigorous combined implementation of vaccination and mitigation measures (e.g., distancing, masking, and hand hygiene) to control the spread of SARS-CoV-2. These measures will be more effective if they are instituted sooner rather than later to slow the initial spread of the B.1.1.7 variant.”

President-elect Joe Biden wants to distribute 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in his first 100 days. They’ll be needed, says the study. “Increased transmissibility also means that higher than anticipated vaccination coverage must be attained to achieve the same level of disease control to protect the public compared with less transmissible variants,” the study states.
The CDC leads a coordinated effort that includes states, academia, industry and local health officials to enhance genomic surveillance of COVID-19 across the US. “Multiple lines of evidence indicate that B.1.1.7 is more efficiently transmitted compared with other SARS-CoV-2 variants circulating in the United Kingdom,” the study states. “UK regions with a higher proportion of B.1.1.7 sequences had faster epidemic growth than did other areas, diagnoses with SGTF[S-gene target failure] increased faster than did non-SGTF diagnoses in the same areas, and a higher proportion of contacts were infected by index patients with B.1.1.7 infections than by index patients infected with other variants.”
CDC investigators examine multiple models of how B.1.1.7 might spread. One of the models assumes that 1 million COVID-19 vaccines are distributed a day, beginning January 1, 2021. That model also says that 95% herd immunity was achieved 14 days after people were given the second dose of the vaccine. Obviously, this hasn’t happened (whether we can ever achieve herd immunity against COVID-19 is a matter of debate), but the investigators wanted to see how much a threat B.1.1.7 would present if near universal immunity against infection is assumed.
“In this model, B.1.1.7 prevalence is initially low, yet because it is more transmissible than are current variants, it exhibits rapid growth in early 2021, becoming the predominant variant in March,” the study state. “Whether transmission of current variants is increasing (initial Rt = 1.1) or slowly decreasing (initial Rt = 0.9) in January, B.1.1.7 drives a substantial change in the transmission trajectory and a new phase of exponential growth. With vaccination that protects against infection, the early epidemic trajectories do not change and B.1.1.7 spread still occurs.
However, in this model, after B.1.1.7’s transmission is substantially reduced after it becomes the dominant strain.
“The effect of vaccination on reducing transmission in the near term was greatest in the scenario in which transmission was already decreasing (initial Rt = 0.9),” the study states. “Early efforts that can limit the spread of the B.1.1.7 variant, such as universal and increased compliance with public health mitigation strategies, will allow more time for ongoing vaccination to achieve higher population-level immunity.”
The CDC’s findings come as COVID-19 rages out of control. Hospitals are packed. Infection preventionists and other health care professionals are working around the clock. They’re exhausted. Rochelle Walensky, MD, who will head the CDC in the Biden administration, warns that the death toll in the United States could very well reach 500,000 by mid-February. Yesterday, 1723 people died from COVID-19 in the US, while the country saw 174,513 newly confirmed cases of the disease, according to Johns Hopkins University.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/cdc-act-now-against-highly-infectious-covid-b-1-1-7

It’s sounding like we don’t have a million doses. He’s going to have to ramp it up, then deal with all the conspiracies around ramping it up.

growlegal

Veteran

What is your source?
Gut feeling is my guess

Put your mask on to show respect for your community

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Everybody is a rocket scientist! Go ahead call corona's bluff. I have 1 year of college vs someone with a doctorate. Hmmm who ya gonna call?!
If you are in the dental chair, do you want your dentist hawking and blowing germs all over the place? How about washing his hands? Naw don't care?
Getting SICK but not from corony!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing farther than the truth regarding viruses. They morph, as seen in the numerous variants. And yes, with over 400,000 DEAD in the USA alone, this is a deadly virus.

If you are really sincere about "our health is our responsibility", then wear a mask, physically distance limit those in your bubble, wash hand frequently.Get a vaccine when offered.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
President-elect Joe Biden is planning on including a lighting ceremony commemorating the American lives lost to COVID-19 as part of the events for his inauguration.

https://covidmemorial.online/

[youtubeif]Oxz6XEJ8E10[/youtubeif]

That was an awe struck tribute to those who have died from the pandemic in America. 400,000 lives lost. That's similar to populations of Portland, Fort Worth, Kansas City, Tucson, Long Beach, and numerous others.
FINALLY, an administration that recognizes the devastation of lives lost.

Just in a week, I've had 6 peers/friends/remote cousins die of COVID in 2 states. And those are only the ones I'm aware of. The sooner vaccines can be systematically employed (both doses), the better America will heal and eventually return to a sense of normalcy we once took for granted.

Last edited:
G

That was an awe inspiring tribute to those who have died from the pandemic in America. 400,000 lives lost. That's similar to populations of Portland, Fort Worth, Kansas City, Tucson, Long Beach, and numerous others.

Just in a week, I've had 6 peers/friends/remote cousins die of COVID in 2 states. And those are only the ones I'm aware of. The sooner vaccines can be systematically employed (both doses), the better America will heal and eventually return to a sense of normalcy we once took for granted.

I wasn't awed. I was severely saddened, read through or viewed the first 2 rows, and closed it.

A deserved memorial, yes. But nothing shy of a "WTF?" moment in truth.

And we still have many, including in these forums, literally planning to continue to refuse to mask, and bragging on it.

The deaths are tragic. The ignorance among those who won't lift a finger to help stop the dying, won't distance, etc. is numbing, angering, infuriating, and more, to include a statement that our species has begun reaching an incompatibility with our host, and maybe in the future She will rid herself of our kind.

We've been told by movers and shakers in the pathogen and virus guru groups, that this is not apt to be the last of pandemics, to expect more, and we see how well we did with this one.

Thankfully most viruses don't seek to immediately kill their host. Unthankfully, with this virus and others, that means longer suffering for many.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, it put literally a LIGHT on how horrific this pandemic has ravaged America and plans to rectify/remedy the colossal screw up, that's inspiring. The hope with song and hymn, the lights simultaneously lighting. For that preparation of the solemn occasion, it was awe inspiring.

Color me compassionate and empathetic for those no longer here.

G

Well, it put literally a LIGHT on how horrific this pandemic has ravaged America and plans to rectify/remedy the colossal screw up, that's inspiring. The hope with song and hymn, the lights simultaneously lighting. For that preparation of the solemn occasion, it was awe inspiring.

No trouble with compassion for the dead.

Too much glaring reality in that page. None of those outcomes positive, that I see.

Carnage from an ongoing tragedy, that we're MAYBE mid-stream with.

Too much sadness in the images, the knowledge of real peoples' ends. Trust me, it's not a reaction of uncaring, It's a reaction of why it's never pleasant to view unnecessary outcomes that cost others too much.

Same reason I rarely or never gawk at car wrecks, or other carnage.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

You could have left that part out. Trump wasn't the only one on this FUCKING planet to screw it up!!! It's time to HEALL pall!

PS: I hated his guts, its time to move on!

'Boogieman'

You could have left that part out. Trump wasn't the only one on this FUCKING planet to screw it up!!! It's time to HEALL pall!

PS: I hated his guts, its time to move on!

Many of these people are as partisan as it gets. I wouldn't let them bring you down. Personally I hope Biden becomes a great president.

redlaser

Veteran
*Switcher56

If you can find a country with more infections and deaths than the U.S., I’d like to see it.

Also, if you can find a leader who acknowledged how easy it was to transmit ( in private, to Bob Woodward) back in the spring, and then went on to downplay its seriousness to the public until the day he left, let’s hear that as well.

Funny to hear about unity and healing from the same repub types who claim without evidence the election was fraudulent.

'Boogieman'

*Switcher

If you can find a country with more infections than the U.S., I’d like to see it.

Also, if you can find a leader who acknowledged how easy it was to transmit ( in private, to Bob Woodward) back in the spring, and then went on to downplay its seriousness to the public until the day he left, let’s hear that as well.

Funny to hear about unity and healing from the same repub types who claim without evidence the election was fraudulent.

More infections in general, or more infections compared to population?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0zHO6KrQyQ2BL_64yuf6ok&cshid=1611188431601

redlaser

Veteran
More infections in general, or more infections compared to population?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0zHO6KrQyQ2BL_64yuf6ok&cshid=1611188431601

Should a per capita rate that is higher for a smaller population be a source of comfort in the U.S. with our numbers?

How about the almost year long downplaying of the virus after trump acknowledged how easy it was spread? Imagine if he had been truthful and not tried to fake it to prop up the stock market until the election.

400,000 dead is a big number wherever you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts