What's new

Watts per sq ft/questions on build plans

Hey all long time lurker finally getting up to posting in her after a long hiatus from growing. Got a few questions on opinions for this need build on lighting.

Most people at the hydro stores are trying to push me into LEDs which I think I have decided to stay away from (for now). Anyways looking at a mix of CMH and HPS checkerboard patterned in the room.

Little background on space-

Will be purpose build sealed room dimensions 25’x15’. Plan was a SCROG setup with 36 plants was shooting for 1 light per 4x4, is this enough?plan to use Nanolux dual bulb 630w CMH and nanolux 600w DE HPS. Only looking at roughly 37watts per square ft of grow space (planning for 12x20 Scrog)

I will be in a basement 9ft ceiling with ballast and hood mounted as close to the Ceiling as possible running 5 ton mini split and a anden 320 for humidity. Think I should go for 1000w? Or another thought was to only go 1000w on the DE HPS, really just concerned about heat as have never run DE and have read that you want a lot of height to run them without having to deal with scorching the plants.

Open to all comments and opinions wanted to get this room setup right. Thanks!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's not being double ended that makes them hot. It's people using 1000s of any type.

15 foot wide, makes me think 3 rows, 3 foot wide each, with two isles of 1.5 foot. Maximum reach required for training, 3 foot. Position your 600w DE lamps to light a 3x4 space. 450-650g a light.

It's not being double ended that makes them hot. It's people using 1000s of any type.

15 foot wide, makes me think 3 rows, 3 foot wide each, with two isles of 1.5 foot. Maximum reach required for training, 3 foot. Position your 600w DE lamps to light a 3x4 space. 450-650g a light.

That’s the plan 3 rows of 12 been debating getting some rolling benches to maximize space so I don’t need to have dedicated isles. But they are so pricey!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well you were talking scrog, which is a horizontal thing usually. With isles, you have the sides of the canopy lit also, and the plants can spill out a little. The loss isn't so great. But you could go further, and have vertical screens that total as much grow space as the tops. Lit with flat led panels, attached to wheeled clothes rails so you can pull them out. I keep toying with the idea myself, but perhaps just have the vertical screens about a foot deep. So actually the isles give more grow space.

Latest posts

Latest posts