What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watermelon Hashplant

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Everything is under control, both plants are veggin nicely. Something new also popped up from the dirt, could be a third watermelon but it's hard to tell at this point after changing pots etc. I'm pretty sure I'll know after a couple of weeks. Also one Annapurna tree sativa growing, I better get sum Nepali seeds from these, otherwise I'll need to ask for help in preserving the line, since I've got my hands full atm.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Well the "third plant" was something not cannabis related. :)

The real plants should sex soon, the bigger one is about 5 weeks now, topped 3 times and was just put to 11/13. Very healthy uniform plants. They really don't need any ferts at this point, maybe just light PK in early flower and no nitrogen until the stretch is over.

I switched to a blue 200w energy saving bulb to control the temperature, these stretch just fine without high temps believe me.

Also I find this kind of lighting will help keep the plant from stretching too much, I'm really going to fight to keep 'em controllable.

bodymind

Veteran
I have another bodhi line of nepali hash plant.... Three nice females, all looking very related, and three nice males. One female took forever to flower and is very string, so I'll probably leave her out of seed reproduction. But they are lovely plants with a hash, floral, fruity, and astringent smell. They look like indicas that have been streeeeettttttccccchhhhhheeeeeddddd into towering trees :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I have another bodhi line of nepali hash plant.... Three nice females, all looking very related, and three nice males. One female took forever to flower and is very string, so I'll probably leave her out of seed reproduction. But they are lovely plants with a hash, floral, fruity, and astringent smell. They look like indicas that have been streeeeettttttccccchhhhhheeeeeddddd into towering trees :)

They're outdoors, right? Is your latitude similat to Nepal? Please put some pictures up if you can. I'll have to wait until someone with a camera drops by before posting mine.

bodymind

Veteran
Hey thule... The nepali females i have are now indoors, and the males are outdoors. I am doing a seed run in 3 gallon containers. What I meant by a stretchy indica is that the leaves are wide and have short petioles and the resin is copious. However, the plants structure is really quite sativaish and I can tell she wants to be a giant fox tailing tree. I am going to pollinate my gorgeous columbian black female with the nepali males, btw :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Well, day 54 for the big one, 12/12 from the start. Still not flowering. It must be the blues. I'm now trying 10/14, that should do the trick.

The plant isn't stressing about flowering so I won't either. We're close anyway. I would be surprised if it turned out male after all this time :) We seem to have a classic red stemmed Nepali here.

I had to give some organic ferts after the lower leaves started yellowing. They're all still very healthy and getting greener.

bodymind

Veteran
Sounds lovely! I have TONS of seeds on my nepali hashplants... and I also chucked pollen onto my gorgeous columbian black female... :)

I'm interested with what your plants turn out to be.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Lol, they're both females! :biglaugh:

I guess I'll have to outcross these too, with something faster flowering! There's some suitable sativa pollen in the freezer and a Peru male ready to drop pollen. I can hopefully back cross them to the Watermelon Hashplant at a later time.

I know it won't be "pure" anymore, but was it ever with all that wild jungli pollen flying around the Himalayas? I'll just try to stay loyal to the phenotype and hopefully work it into something more indoor friendly. It's not like the strain is endangered at this time so it's all good.

There's still that mystery Nepalese tree sativa that hasn't sexed, but I don't think it's a male.

bodymind

Veteran
I'm looking forward to seeing how the plants develop and what you decide to cross them with... good luck!

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Well, I had to cut them after harvesting the seeds because I had a flight reserved for march. I started in october and I pretty much knew I would run out of time after I only got males the first time. I'll start round 3 tomorrow.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
1 is up now, more to come, but I won't tease you guys with further updates before I have some pictures to show.

I was gifted some watermelon x ak-47, 22 were females, 1 with a dark purple stem that flowered fast, big resin production, very bushy, lots of bud sites, sweet smelling, very sativaish features, long thin bladed leaves. I left an indica leaning afgani looking male in the flowering room and it got hit by that pollen, so I'm revegging her, and I do have a male watermelon x ak-47 to make f2 seeds, not straight watermelon, but close? I did cut clones of both females before the pollination, they have been in my sealed flowering building with co2, rh @ 56%, in 3 gal pots, 1 in a 5 gal smart pot, coco recirculating drip, light feed on house and garden nutes a & b, amended with silica blast, drip clean, molasses. And I have popped beans of the afgani indica leaning male of a different cross I made using f6 & f3 of yet other crosses I made with careful selection, that I had crossed her with from the earlier flowering pheno so it'll be interesting to see what all happens with that cross, to shorten the flowering time and bulk her up a bit, as I planted the seeds from the purple dark stemmed pheno. Since I'm revegging and have the clones of both females in flowering, I haven't smoked her yet. I will definitely be trying to make f2 of the watermelon x ak-47 and put them up on the server fund if I can remember later... after I prove out that they're good without weird traits. But that's about it as far as sativas go for me this year, next year I'm devoting to long flowering time sativas, as I do have the space and time and resources with 14' high vaulted ceilings in a sealed room a mix of 2 x 1000w hps and 2 x 1000w mh, 5 ton split a/c, dehumidifier, co2... thinking of picking up some double thai for next year. How is everyone doing this year so far?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Watermelon 47! Nice! I'd love to see pictures.

I'm yet again banging my head against the wall with these seeds, they don't seem to want to germinate.. and we're talking about the hybrid seeds I made last march. Very hard to crack! Seeds like that are beneficial in the wild but in the growroom I'd prefer to have an easier time germinating. I'm giving the rest of the pure seeds to a fellow icmagger who lives near by, I hope we'll be able to succeed in a joint operation.. lol.

Another member has the watermelon hashplant and offered to let me "borrow" them as long as I make f2's, as I think I accidentally threw out the watermelon x ak-47 male, and I had 3 distinct different female phenos, and the afghani indica leaning male is of another strain I have been developing comprised of sweet tooth #3 x ak-47 (different ak daddy than the daddy of the watermelon x ak)f6 x (white widow x kk strawberry cough) x afghani indica landrace male f3=sumo slumber. I did find 1 mature selfed seed in the watermelon x ak I grew out last year and had forgotten I had hanging along with a black maduro and a black magic kush, so going to pop that one when the next full moon comes about.

have you tried to soak the beans in hydrogen peroxide first to soften the shell? Hopefully when I get the other watermelon hashplant seeds, they will germ and there will be a male. The #3 I'm all excited about has dark purple/black stems, I up potted the original plant growing from seed into a 5 gal smart pot last week (she was crazy root bound), and she has nice looking new growth, but is taking quite a while to reveg after I had molested her getting the seeds I wanted, and have some of them going now too.

I just got a new tablet and android based call, and haven't figured out how to use it yet, how do I take my gps info off the picture on this type of device? As soon as I can figure that out, I would be more than happy to take picts of the revegging #3, as well as the #2 & #3 i have in flowering, at about 6 weeks in so far. The black stemmed #3 is so big and bushy she has slit and supercropped herself along with my help as I was trying to keep her from growing into the lights. Out of everything that got hit with the sumo slumber male pollen the #3 is incredibly sturdy and has withstood much abuse from me, and is the only one out of the 8 different ladies treated the same way that has survived the pillaging of seeds and revegging, the others didn't fair so well. This makes me very happy though, as the sumo slumber is also incredibly hardy and tolerant to non-ideal conditions (both very important qualities I look for when crossing plants, along with flowering time, plant and bud structure, resin production and type of tastes and smells etc).

The watermelon hashplant is ideal for the environment I live in, which is dry, high altitude, early freeze common the past few years, not that I can do OD atm anyways. I am looking for other highland landraces, as well as lowland and equatorial/jungle sativas, as next year I'm going to be concentrating on the super long flowering time sativas, this year is seeing what other past projects are going to be like, as well as continuing on making f2-f7 of different hybrids.

I too believe that as a community it is important to preserve the pure landrace lines for future use and study, as hybrids and especially femmed genetics are so prominent, and it seems like a lot of people these days are all about whatever new hybrid is being hyped, has great bag appeal, short flowering times etc, and not many people have an appreciation for the true landraces. Fortunately I am old enough to remember way back when in the olden days.. LOL as I have grown up children now.

Any help on teaching me or guiding me on how to not have my "smart phone & tablet" to not give pinpoint details on the gps etc, wold be much appreciated, as I am not up to snuff on these new devices, but have been working on a lot of things that I have been meaning to post about, but you know, safety first.

I'd be more than happy to send beans of the watermelon hashplant x ak-47 x sumo slumber, but I haven't heard back from clarence or anybody as I had written a pm a few weeks back offering up my latest hybrids for the server fund.

I'm wanting to get some of gypsy's mikado 99, has anyone gotten these beans and popped and grown them out yet? I just wanted more info on them, as I know another member had done a similar cross with the mikado using a different cindy 99 that was supposed to be pretty amazing, but it seems the f2 federation mikado was highly unstable, but the f1 was good to breed with, and it is no longer really available as federation is no longer around... I am really missing the raspberry pheno of mikado, I still dream about her sometimes.

I do have bud shots of the watermelon x ak #1, she's pretty nice and sweet, even though I just took her out and hung her in the garage about 9 months ago and forgot about her until last week, so she wasn't cured "properly", but if this is what the pheno that was unremarkable is like, I really can't wait for the black stem #3 to finish up in a few more weeks (fingers crossed).

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Well you should post those, pictures. This thread needs some photography! :)

I never tried hydroxen peroxide, I don't even know where to get it. The pharmacy?

Latest posts

Latest posts