What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water filtration

yosun

Hello all,looking for info of DIY water filtration,and/or any garden hose attatchable water filters,love any helps,thanks

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm looking into the same, yo.
I'd like to filter out chlorine and other hard/unwanted parts.. just looking to use my tap water (190ppms) instead of running RO.
Realizing that this 'might' reduce PPMs some but not substantially.

yosun

Chlorine mostly,i used to be able to use my tap water for years,up until about 8 months ago,now i can't use it for clones or seed starting or my plants,soil grower by the way

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes this would be interesting, something you can just hook between the source and the hose to fill tank. it doesn't need to be ro quality, just reduce the ec from 0.5 to 0.3

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Chlorine mostly,i used to be able to use my tap water for years,up until about 8 months ago,now i can't use it for clones or seed starting or my plants,soil grower by the way

I have a 45gal drum in my garage that I fill with tap water. The majority of the chlorine naturally evaporates with 24 hrs. The drum simply sits there with a lid on it. Because my garage isn't heated, I have a 5gal ready use bucket in the back hall (room temperature). I have never had any issues. I grow in HP Promix. Hope this helps :tiphat:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Is this of interest

How long does it take for Chlorine to fully evaporate from tap water?

Depending on its levels of content, the evaporation time for chlorine from tap water can be estimated:

2 ppm of Chlorine will take up to 4 and a half days or around 110 hours to evaporate from 10 gallons of standing water. Ultraviolet light, water circulation, and aeration will speed up the evaporation process dramatically. Chlorine will last between 6 and 8 minutes in 10 gallons of boiling tap water. Boiling is the fastest method to remove Chlorine from water.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
A cheap, low pressure 5 or 6 stage filter with a 0.2 micron ultrafiltration membrane will get you under 50 ppm most of the time. Sometimes even around 10 ppm when filters are relatively new.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Is this of interest

How long does it take for Chlorine to fully evaporate from tap water?

Depending on its levels of content, the evaporation time for chlorine from tap water can be estimated:

2 ppm of Chlorine will take up to 4 and a half days or around 110 hours to evaporate from 10 gallons of standing water. Ultraviolet light, water circulation, and aeration will speed up the evaporation process dramatically. Chlorine will last between 6 and 8 minutes in 10 gallons of boiling tap water. Boiling is the fastest method to remove Chlorine from water.

Thanks for the update :tiphat: I was misinformed (from several sources) WRT the 24hr bit and using air stones. I found there was no delta between aerating or not. So I discontinued the method ($). OTOH, your post caused me to check out my levels (municipality) we vary from 0.2 - 1.5mg/l (winter - summer) Summer rate does change as required you can smell the chlorine from the tap. I do make sure my water barrel is topped off before that period, usually in Aug. TBS, I don't grow during the period mid May to end of Aug. So in another 2 weeks or so, my barrel will be topped off for the fall run.

Jerry_Garcia

Do a quick GOOGLE search "RV Water Filter." I use one of these on the end of my hose to pull out Chlorine and then I still let the water sit for at least 24 hours. These types of filters won't alter your ppm/ec but their a cheap, efficient way to remove Chlorine.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I use tap water. The wter into my house if filtered with two in-line 2.5" x 10" filters. I added a second stage to my filtration when I started growing, because I am using living soil. Particulate filter, then a charcoal filter for the chlorine.

There is a pic of the filtration in my gallery, but the new software makes it too hard to go get it for this post. That part of this new software really sucks.

Here it is: https://www.icmag.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=17696071

You need a carbon filter for chlorine. If th city water dept has changed to chloromine, you need a better carbon filter. If I ever run a tap off my laundry room water to have a remote hose to fill the reservoir, I will add one of these filters to that line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VC7CW

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah my problem isnt chlorine, its chalk if im not mistaken. i don't want to fuck with osmosis as it wastes so much water. something that just reduces the ec level without needing to waste water.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I use tap water. The wter into my house if filtered with two in-line 2.5" x 10" filters. I added a second stage to my filtration when I started growing, because I am using living soil. Particulate filter, then a charcoal filter for the chlorine.

There is a pic of the filtration in my gallery, but the new software makes it too hard to go get it for this post. That part of this new software really sucks.

Here it is: https://www.icmag.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=17696071

You need a carbon filter for chlorine. If th city water dept has changed to chloromine, you need a better carbon filter. If I ever run a tap off my laundry room water to have a remote hose to fill the reservoir, I will add one of these filters to that line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VC7CW

I like the look of simplicity.. thank you for the pic.. do you see a PPM reduction? any amount.
Is there a UV component too?

Chlorine isn't really an issue like so many people make it out to be.

A study was done on the microbial life in soil, tap/chlorine water didn't impact it at all.

One doesn't even need to wait for it to "evaporate"...tossing in a handful of dirt/soil or just about any sort of organic matter into a bucket/container of water will get rid of majority/all of the chlorine.

I've grown my entire garden on "hose" water the past several years, in organic/live soil, no issues at all.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The clear filter housing and particulate shows when the clay sediment that leaks into the water dept pipes is too thick. The white filter housing leaks at the main o-ring, and I can't see the build-up. The leak may be attributable to poor plumber performance.

One of the soil guys has a vid on filtering city water. He mentions NOT to use RO water with living soil, because of the lack of bacteria.

When my truncheon lights up I replace the water in the SIP reservoir. The water from my tap has almost zero EC reading. The new water I pH down, add cl-mg, and it still won't light up the truncheon. The water pH rises because I am bubbling air through it all the time, so I keep adding pH down to get it back to 6.3ish. Epsom salts will light up the truncheon, so I stopped using them.

HHILL

I use a Hydrologic Tallboy filter for the garden. Where I’m at, it’s the chloromine, which doesn’t dissipate like chlorine. I think it uses a KDF filter and a sediment filter. There are cheaper hose attached filters, can’t remember the name, growmore maybe?

make sure you know what you want to filter out before you buy a filter.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
they say the water quality is really good, all i know is that the tap ec is 0.5 and its only 0.2 at home. this stops me giving my normal nutrient regime without going too high. not sure whats making it so high. maybe i need to get it analysed?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I use a Hydrologic Tallboy filter for the garden. Where I’m at, it’s the chloromine, which doesn’t dissipate like chlorine. I think it uses a KDF filter and a sediment filter. There are cheaper hose attached filters, can’t remember the name, growmore maybe?

make sure you know what you want to filter out before you buy a filter.

not cheap but if it works it seems worth it. bit slow to fill your tank, but this seems exactly what i want, hook it to the tap and get cleaner water out the other end.

yosun

I actually decided to make my own filter,poked a ton of small holes in a 5 gallon bucket bottom,covered it with a polyester sheet,heavy layer of activated carbon for a fish tank,plus some charcoal from my fire pit,filled it with tap water and let drain slowly,use it on 2 sacrificial plants,they seem fine,hopefully it keeps working,thanks for the info guys!

Latest posts

Latest posts