What's new

Water-Cooled Heat Exchanger For Your Lights???

E

Eminem

as far as the ice box working, it works. I am currently using one in a different application. They dont really market it this way with the Ice Box, but they do with the Hydrogen.

The hydrogen puts out hot water that goes back to a large res. A pump in the res pushes water through the ice box 24/7. A 6" vortex blows through it and cools the water. After 30 minutes, the water in my res was much cooler.

Its much cheaper than running a chiller etc

rr14

Ok, so here's my set-up,in progress and question....I want to purchase 2 of these Ice boxes to cool 1 1000HPS light in a radiant 6 AC reflector, (with a thermal/heat cover on it) via a 295 CFM S&P TD-150 in-line..which will be going in a Homebox XL grow tent, (56" x 56" x 78.75") with a 409CFM windtunnel 6 exhaust fan connected to a can 66 filter, (scrubbing not exhausting) two 6" air circulating fans and a de-humidifier, with Co2 boost on a 15min on time schedule..[yes exhaust fan up top and active air intake fan,(160cfm) down below via back draft damper,(no Co2 leaks) will be on separate dual-timer to turn off during this period] Growing 20-30 Autos in 3gal grow bags...The reason for the 2 Ice boxes is I want the 1rst to cool the light and the 2nd to cool the garage or room like an AC..<<haven't decided where yet<< My air flow will be as follows; rightside of tent intake air>insulated ducting>Icebox>reflector>Icebox>insulated ducting>S&P in-line fan>ducting>leftside of tent exhaust air....Now, what size chiller would be reccommended for what i'm trying to do?? I will be using a 800GPH-1000GPH pump[better water flow] with a 40 or 50 gal resorvior which will be insulated as well..The co. that makes the Icebox reccommends 1/4 hp chiller to affectivly cool a 1000hps..should I use that size or do I need a bigger one since i wat to use 2 Iceboxes? like a 1/2 hp?? help all my pros out there!!! AND WHATTA YA THINK ABOUT MY SET-UP???? WILL IT WORK??? BTW I LIVE IN HOT ASS FLA. SO I FIGURED THIS WOULD WORK GREAT FOR ME..........

that should work great. I've seen the iceboxes in action. When using a 65* water with the icebox BEFORE the light the air after the light being discharged was only 72*. What you may want to do is hook up the 2nd icebox on a separate pump, activated by a air temp sensor. When the temp gets to a certain point, the second one kicks on like an air conditioner to further cool the air.

rr14

as far as the ice box working, it works. I am currently using one in a different application. They dont really market it this way with the Ice Box, but they do with the Hydrogen.

The hydrogen puts out hot water that goes back to a large res. A pump in the res pushes water through the ice box 24/7. A 6" vortex blows through it and cools the water. After 30 minutes, the water in my res was much cooler.

Its much cheaper than running a chiller etc

I actually thought of doing this on my setup, but I ended up going totally water cooled. Before when I was going to air cool and water cool, I was going to do this as a heat exchanger. I bought a 2 hp chiller so that should be enough chilling power to not have to worry anymore. Setup is 4000 watts of liquid lumens, a hydrogen and I'm going to buy one of the iceboxes once the 8" come out.

uptosumpn

Veteran
Wow! Thanks for that tip!! I think thats a brilliant idea! didn't think about that! So if done the way I descibed in earlier post & with the second Ice box hooked up to a thermostat I would have the air from my LIGHT COOL & COOL AIR blowing outside tent into ROOM/GARAGE for active air-intake for tent, as well as fresh cool air for intake to the light again??......FUCKING AMAZING!! OH, U NEVER MENTIONED WHAT SIZE CHILLER WOULD BE NEEDED TO ACCOMPLISH THIS??? ALSO U MENTIONED ADDING ANOTHER PUMP...SHOULD THAT ONE BE THE SAME GPH AS THE FIRST??? THANKS AGAIN!!!:woohoo:

that should work great. I've seen the iceboxes in action. When using a 65* water with the icebox BEFORE the light the air after the light being discharged was only 72*. What you may want to do is hook up the 2nd icebox on a separate pump, activated by a air temp sensor. When the temp gets to a certain point, the second one kicks on like an air conditioner to further cool the air.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Just saw a room using this system. But they used a converted Window A/C Unit a 55Gal Rez, and two pumps I think.. it kept the 3 x 600 Hoods COOL, & the Nute Rez for the eb & Flows. Anyway this works from what i've seen... there's more to it than just the IceBox it's self although the IceBox is what makes it possible.. Ingenious!

Sin

Just saw this thread and I have some info about the product

First off, about Peanut Butters comment about the diagram...the reservoir is used indoors b/c it is supposed to be cool water. If the water is to be 65 degrees then the reservoir will be 65 degrees. If you put that reservoir outside where it is hot the heat will simply be absorbed in to the res...putting more load on your chiller. When the water exits the Ice Box it is only a couple of degrees cooler, it isn't boiling water.

I also wanted to point out that the Ice Box should not be used before the light but rather past the light. In order for the Ice Box to cool the heat source it must be installed PAST the heat source. Also if installed before the light there is a chance that it will condensate b/c the room air has a higher dew point than the air exiting the reflector (because the air is warmed by the light, lowering the dew point). If using before the light you could potentially blow condensation inside the reflector. You will get about 50% more efficiency using it correctly.

Also wanted to mention that if the Ice Box does sweat it is actually removing humidity from the room...not adding it. The Ice Box is completely sealed and there is no way for it to add water vapor to the room. The condensation (if there is some) was actually pulled from the room air. If used alone with a low CFM fan the Ice Box can remove much more humidity than an a/c. There are rubber plugs that are available from the manufacturer that install in the holes on the bottom of the Ice Box so that 1/4" tubing can be installed to collect the water, they are free and come on all of the new units.

Befri

Is there anybody that has tried the ICE BOX....and can give actual testimonies about this???

I'm really interested in this....being that I have a chiller...sitting around. I'm fighting a heat issue, and spending a lot $$ to keep my room cooled(sealed).

Room:
8x5x6'8"
2-1K HPS(air cooled from outside/vent outside)
15M BTU a/c
60pint DH
Can 66(6" fan) scrubbing

I have to empty the DH everyday...I can't even go 1 day before it fills up. I'm not sure what's producing all this RH. Ever since I added the LARGE a/c...my RH went up, then I had to add a DH to fight the a/c.

IS that Right?

stoneroad

saw these at the shop i go to and the guy was saying 1200w in a 10x15 room keeps the temps right at 73.4 and humidity around 58% and it was pretty impressive they had one after each light totaling 2. they are happy with them so it must work pretty well.

Befri

Is it possible to use your rez for plants to chill the ice box since its recirculating?

I use a ebb&flow buckets...temp in the rez is not that important. But why couldn't you use the rez with nutrients for the ice boxes.

I'm going to try this out, but before that I wanted to see what the thoughts are.

What are the pros and cons?

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
These ROCK.... BUT!
You have to use Cooled Water.. other wise the Rez heats up too much... still keeps thing cooler though. Yes you could use a nute rez..not sure how good an idea that would be though in the long run.

I'm setting mine up right now and having troubles keeping the Rez cool due to ambient room temps being so high to start with...
Seal the room for sure. When it's set up right these are the best thing ever made for indoor growing. But there are issues you HAVE to address.

Befri

Well I'm in the process of redesigning my room.....after getting my last electric bill and paying $0.31kwh and being in the middle of tier 5 already....I need to find ways to be more efficient. This seems to be the trick...considering I have a chiller already..so that saves the cost of that.

That being said...I would need to run 2 ice boxes for my 2-1K bulbs.....and chiller. I will just have to try it and see if it works...I wish that there was someone that has already done the homework on this, and we could all learn from.

Does it actually keep a grow room in ideal temps with the water at 60F(20degress less then ambient)? Really you would want a 78F would be perfect...but I am running CO2 also.

Can any one chime in that has done this, and it works who actually USE one NOW??