What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

washing your buds???

St. Phatty

i dont even wash my hands before i eat

I walk around picking up all the chicken turds near the house, off the ground, and put them in a Special Bucket.

Wonder what kind of germs I have on my hands. Salmonella ?

I know, my neighbor is talking about bringing Trump to our state.

Maybe I could shake hands with him.

Then I will DEFINITELY want to wash my hands.

Seems like he has a pretty weak immune system.

Maybe if enough people stuck their hands deep into their compost piles, and then shook hands with Trump, we could have a new President ?

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where I live it's usually hot and very dry, so there's dust in the air. Also, the road is nearby. The (taller) bananas, figs, guavas that, as well as shade the entire yard, basically rain down debris on the cannabis plants. So yeah, I'm a huge fan of washing. I think cannabis loves a good bath. I give them spritz downs with a pump sprayer fairly regularly throughout the season. I keep the temperature 'lukewarm' because as many others pointed out, hot would wash off trichomes, and cold could outright knock them off.

In any case, I've never noticed any reduction in potency, or even flavors from washing. I usually give outdoor plants their last wash a few days before harvesting, though. I have washed indoor plants with spider mites the day of harvest, and couldn't detect any loss of quality.

Want to point out that this is just my situation. Most likely if I was growing in more ideal conditions, I'd drop the water washing. Not because I think it's bad in any way, just that it's extra work and I'm an organic (lazy) gardener!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I walk around picking up all the chicken turds near the house, off the ground, and put them in a Special Bucket.

Wonder what kind of germs I have on my hands. Salmonella ?

I know, my neighbor is talking about bringing Trump to our state.

Maybe I could shake hands with him.

Then I will DEFINITELY want to wash my hands.

Seems like he has a pretty weak immune system.

Maybe if enough people stuck their hands deep into their compost piles, and then shook hands with Trump, we could have a new President ?

They can't be that bad. Our dog thinks chicken turds are hors d'oeuvres at the buffet.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
They can't be that bad. Our dog thinks chicken turds are hors d'oeuvres at the buffet.

My dog and chicken recycled, he ate theirs and they ate his
. Lol

Mr greengenes
Admittedly I've been known to wash off some flowers during their growing cycle but wouldn't have considered doing it after harvest before
However it might be worth a trial after reading replies from many happy post harvest washers...

Last edited:

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
https://www.docbudsbrix.com/bud-was...B98k5vcK_jeCNsP_zp9P3FUMVSM9XF9V9eCVcQnpiDbi0

do any of you guys do this ??

cant say i ever would , i think the analogy with the garden veges is just ridiculous ,
some folks are afraid of dirt it seems ,, they best go live in a bubble , they are breathing the stuff when they are walking around outside , not to mention its even on their skin their hair , their dog ,
omg even their hands ...

thoughts anyone ??

G’day Wal...I’m giving this washing thing a go on a couple plants I pulled today.

One plant was washed like in that video you posted, the other one was hung like normal with no washing. There’s plenty of smog in my area, be nice to wash that stuff off before smoking it.

We’ll see if there’s any difference after the buds dry. I’m skeptical...but hopeful it’ll help make the smoke smoother.

HB.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Heya hb
Tried to reply but something went wrong..
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the wash/rinse
Hope they come out good for ya
Best for the harvest man..

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Heya hb
Tried to reply but something went wrong..
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the wash/rinse
Hope they come out good for ya
Best for the harvest man..

Heya Wal! Hope all is well maaaate...

As for the washing experiment...First thing I'm noticing between the washed and unwashed samples is the less pronounced smell in the washed samples. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable for sure. The unwashed stuff hits you in the face when you open the container...the washed stuff just doesn't have the same punch to it. It still smells good, but not as good as the unwashed stuff, imho.

Haven't done a side-by-side smoke test yet, but comparing the two samples as they're curing, the unwashed stuff defo tends to keep more terpenes for some reason...at least at this stage. Gotta cure both samples and see where we're at after that's all done.

HB.

Hookahhead

I would have never thought to wash a harvest either, wanting to keep water as far away from my finished flowers as possible. However the more I researched it and thought about it, the more logical it became, especially as an outdoor grower in the tropics. So I washed the last harvest. Man you should have seen the gunk that came out of one plant. I had several ants and a few other small insects, foreign plant parts, and a decent amount of sand/dust. After seeing the first plant go through I went ahead with the others. I didn’t have any issues with mold during drying. The buds swell up fat from the water, but they seemed to dry at a normal speed. I didn’t keep a close watch on the time though.

Green Squall

dont get sick very often so my immune system is good not like the people that are constantly washing their hands .got get some germs on ya to be able to build up your immune system
imo

I totally agree. What we expose our bodies to also effects our gut microbiome, which in turn plays a big role in our overall health. I read an article a while back on a study involving people who lived on the Finland - Russia border. The Finns lived a more western lifestyle, while the Russians lived more traditionally, working the land and raising animals. The Russians had twice the gut flora that the Finns had. Overall, I think living in an over cleanly society puts us at risk for things like susceptibility to illness and even autoimmune diseases.

Back to the main subject, I don't plan on washing my buds. Harvest is in a week or two, and with the rain we've had in the last week or so, I think that'll be fine.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Heya Wal! Hope all is well maaaate...

As for the washing experiment...First thing I'm noticing between the washed and unwashed samples is the less pronounced smell in the washed samples. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable for sure. The unwashed stuff hits you in the face when you open the container...the washed stuff just doesn't have the same punch to it. It still smells good, but not as good as the unwashed stuff, imho.

Haven't done a side-by-side smoke test yet, but comparing the two samples as they're curing, the unwashed stuff defo tends to keep more terpenes for some reason...at least at this stage. Gotta cure both samples and see where we're at after that's all done.

HB.
hey hb ,
no real surprise to me really ,
i expected some losses of taste/flavor etc ,
made enough bubble has to know somethings are definitely water soluble ,
and burning a bit of dust probably doesnt do much harm ...

id say the leaf matter collects most dust etc ...

troutman

Seed Whore
I sometimes take plants prior to flowering one by one and place them in my bathtub.
Then I mist them heavily until all the leaves are dripping like in a tropical monsoon
and let them dry before placing them back in my grow area. Doing the same with
flowering plants could be problems with molds,etc.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yea i think the plants like that troutman ,
i used to put a knocker sprinkler on mine when they were young and up until flowering ,,

get the soil wet all around them ,
helps for sure , lots of humidity and likely more life in the soil around the plants is beneficial in the long run to the plants ...

reduce that when plants flower .

troutman

Seed Whore
yea i think the plants like that troutman ,
i used to put a knocker sprinkler on mine when they were young and up until flowering ,,

get the soil wet all around them ,
helps for sure , lots of humidity and likely more life in the soil around the plants is beneficial in the long run to the plants ...

reduce that when plants flower .

Your dogs like sprinklers too I bet. :woohoo:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I sometimes take plants prior to flowering one by one and place them in my bathtub.
Then I mist them heavily until all the leaves are dripping like in a tropical monsoon
and let them dry before placing them back in my grow area. Doing the same with
flowering plants could be problems with molds,etc.

I do that to mine if they start to fuckup. Brings them back for some reason. Nothing like a good flushing.

therevverend

Veteran
and let them dry before placing them back in my grow area.

This is a great way to get rid of mites, thrips, or whatever pests are hanging around. Except you have to do it every day or every other day for a month at least. I'm like everyone else, I don't like drudgery but if you keep at it there's no need for chemical sprays. Another way to do it is to take them out on the deck and spray them up and down, every leaf.

Magu🌈

Washing your plants! Thats crazy talk man! We used to smoke everything. The pot. The dirt that was in the bag. Everything! Thats what the French people call “terroir”. 🧐

Asentrouw

I did wash wet buds after growing in a old deteriorating plastic greenhouse. I rather don't smoke small plastic particles. They were hard to detect and remove from the buds, so a quick wash in water did the trick for me. Also done it for removing catapillar shit and sorts after a plague. I figured there is little difference with a good rain, so what harm can it do?

Just dryed it afterwarts and noticed little difference with non-soaked pot tbh. So on occasions it can have its use.

Nannymouse

Just a suggestion...please do not wear cologne or perfume or have a lot of air fresheners around the plants...growing or trimming, etc. I've been asked to comment on others' stuff, but what can i say about flavor, when it smells and tastes like it's been sprayed with perfume?

I feel the same about strong dish or dishwasher soaps and rinses. I can taste that stuff long after the wash. Also, washing kitchen towels in strong scent soap will leave a scent and flavor trail on the dishes, so careful how the jars are handled.

A friend recently sent over some bars that she'd baked. Hubby had one, and commented that there was way too much spiced rum or something. I took one little bite (spit it out) and said that was no spiced rum, that was soapy taste...real bad soapy taste. Her hubby is having serious stomach problems, hmmm.

Latest posts

Latest posts