What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

washing your buds???

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
https://www.docbudsbrix.com/bud-was...B98k5vcK_jeCNsP_zp9P3FUMVSM9XF9V9eCVcQnpiDbi0

do any of you guys do this ??

cant say i ever would , i think the analogy with the garden veges is just ridiculous ,
some folks are afraid of dirt it seems ,, they best go live in a bubble , they are breathing the stuff when they are walking around outside , not to mention its even on their skin their hair , their dog ,
omg even their hands ...

thoughts anyone ??

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I washed some dry bud once. I didn't then dry it very carefully, rushing to see the result. First think I noticed, I had washed the colour away. It went beige. Like it was 7-8 years old. The flavour might also be described as beige. And it was so soft... you would struggle to make yourself cough on it. It was just beige.

It seems odd that the oil content could be effected by a bit of a soak, and indeed a hashy taste did prevail. Not a lot though.

It was time ago now, and the weed was probably poorly grown Northern. With a low hash content, and most of the taste from the feed bottle. So easy to wash out. I have not smoked something so soft since though. IIRC I smoked it for a while, it wasn't a single event. But decided weed should taste more, even if it did choke me.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey f-e , thanks for sharing your experience ,
i thought some of the taste may be washed out using the bud wash technique,
after all , some , though not all of the buds ive made hash from included the taste of the bud , so id assume it was water soluble to some extent ,,

but as i mentioned not all bud ....

secondly i thought it may also have a negative affect on the resin , and make it even harder to dry the bud afterwards , which may encourage further mold ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
your bud looks good medfaced ..
the problem i had with his analogy about garden produce is that and pot are a totally different thing , your smoking one , eating the other ,
and a bit of dirt , a worm or bug wouldnt do much harm in your salad , though i do prefer mine washed ..

MedFaced

Totally get it brotha. I was just messing with ya a little. Your reaction was my reaction years ago when he started posting about it.

I grew on, not washing a damn thing. But as I got older, I started consuming lots and lots of edibles. Plus I foiler feed here and there. Eventually, I started getting a little more paranoid about what I was consuming. One day I said screw it, and gave it a shot. I liked seeing what washes off, and more importantly, the smoothness of the smoke. Now it’s just part of my routine.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve smoked more than my fair share of dust, bug feces/corpses, and dog hair like the rest. I just don’t see the harm in less.

Would be nice to see some of the microscope nerds out there conduct a more scientific observation than what I can offer. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Totally get it brotha. I was just messing with ya a little. Your reaction was my reaction years ago when he started posting about it.

I grew on, not washing a damn thing. But as I got older, I started consuming lots and lots of edibles. Plus I foiler feed here and there. Eventually, I started getting a little more paranoid about what I was consuming. One day I said screw it, and gave it a shot. I liked seeing what washes off, and more importantly, the smoothness of the smoke. Now it’s just part of my routine.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve smoked more than my fair share of dust, bug feces/corpses, and dog hair like the rest. I just don’t see the harm in less.

Would be nice to see some of the microscope nerds out there conduct a more scientific observation than what I can offer. :biggrin:
bug feces might add some flavor mf ,, haha ..

im sure ive toked plenty of it , and dog hairs , my own hairs , actual bugs and plenty of dirt ,

its likely i could see some use in washing the plants down a little when they are still growing and toward the end of their life ,
as long as its a time when they could dry fully ,

though unsure if it wouldnt just make it easier for dust to stick

but dipping them in water after the harvest id be dubious about still ,
dont spose it would be too much of an issue if one was simply making bubble hash ..

thanks for your thoughts and comments guys ,
always pays to hear what folks have to say ,
can help understand the reasoning behind some techniques ..

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe misting while the plant is still alive before harvest is best.

Give the plants a few days of good air circulation and then chop when they are all dry.

Plants outdoors would dry faster. A greenhouse of wet plants could spell disaster though.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would say if I had buds that needed washing I would make ice water hash.

Best thing would be to grow clean plants in a clean environment, I can't say that I've ever had a need to wash fresh buds.

Once I was moving a duct and got drywall dust on my flowering plants because I was too lazy to move them out. I took each to the shower and drenched them, shook them dry. Dust all came off.

I don't see why it would hurt anything. Plants get rained on right before harvest. No issues there. If you need to wash them I'd say go for it. But if you grow clean plants there would be no need.

h.h.

Veteran
I washed some dry bud once. I didn't then dry it very carefully, rushing to see the result. First think I noticed, I had washed the colour away. It went beige. Like it was 7-8 years old. The flavour might also be described as beige. And it was so soft... you would struggle to make yourself cough on it. It was just beige.

It seems odd that the oil content could be effected by a bit of a soak, and indeed a hashy taste did prevail. Not a lot though.

It was time ago now, and the weed was probably poorly grown Northern. With a low hash content, and most of the taste from the feed bottle. So easy to wash out. I have not smoked something so soft since though. IIRC I smoked it for a while, it wasn't a single event. But decided weed should taste more, even if it did choke me.

It doesn’t effect the oil. It takes out the water solvables leaving behind a larger concentration of oil.

hayday

Veteran
I get White Flies around Augest every year. I can't stop them and I wont poisin my flowers. A quick rinse under a solid stream of warm-cool water seems to clean everything .It sucks but I either do this or do without. I do this when the flowers are still wet so I don't knock the heads off.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - that is a point - the weather can be quite punishing to outdoor plants - but generally they are quite resilient - and survive - so maybe they would survive a jet-wash - without having too much flower/trichome disturbance? - Hmmm - I wonder at what pressure the buds/trichs would start to break up? -

MedFaced

but dipping them in water after the harvest id be dubious about still ,
dont spose it would be too much of an issue if one was simply making bubble hash

Don’t fear the water! Hang em after the wash just like normal. They drip dry within a few hours. It’s nothing new really at that point. Like a harvest after a good rain. Buds look great after the dip.

I believe that Doc got the idea from Jorge Cervantes and his PM peroxide wash. He borrowed it and added the concept of a general wash.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If you are growing outdoor and you don't rinse your buds, you are smoking a lot of other "stuff". Spider webs, hair/fur, random bits of tree that landed on your plants, bird poop, bug poop. And anybody who says they grow clean outdoor plants, well rinse them off and look at that bucket and then tell me they were "clean" :D Indoor is completely different, but outdoor, just being in nature is inherently dirty.

kokomarin

I do this only if some mites,caterpillars or dirty rain afect my plants,some of thet bugs can live on hanging colas,you can see traces under.
Low civilization level in african rainforest ,very dirty for our standard, but they kill thet bugs with smoke.

Latest posts

Latest posts