What's new

Washing away powdery mildew before curing

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is my understanding that it is as systemic as well, which is why we cut off infected branches.

Light is a key issue, when all other things are equal.

I have ornamentals in my front yard, with a southern exposure, but partially shaded by a 100 plus year old Douglas Fir, that have Powdery Mildew on them.

I know of one street in the hood, where the hedge on the south side of the street is covered with Powdery Mildew, and the hedges on the north side where the sun hits them directly, have none.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Not really a valid analogy because vigorous air circulation will actually aid in a plants recovery and prevent spores from attaching to leaves of uninfected plants. In fact the spread of PM can usually be stopped with adequate air movement and ventilation and a good spraying of H2O2/water.

You are incorrect that moving air is not a necessity to prevent PM also... But moving air is absolutely necessary for the plant to live, so the argument is mute.

i have to say we disagree here my friend. i have had PM issues for a decade or so. If one has an infection, the more air movement in the room, the faster it will spread to uninfected areas.

in a room with no pm, only mild air circulation is needed to prevent stagnant air pockets. one will get enough air movement just by constant ventilation even. one does not need vigorous air movement to prevent it, i have about a year PM free of proof at the moment. i do advocate a circulatory fan, but i stand by my information as presented as accurate.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have to say we disagree here my friend. i have had PM issues for a decade or so. If one has an infection, the more air movement in the room, the faster it will spread to uninfected areas.

in a room with no pm, only mild air circulation is needed to prevent stagnant air pockets. one will get enough air movement just by constant ventilation even. one does not need vigorous air movement to prevent it, i have about a year PM free of proof at the moment. i do advocate a circulatory fan, but i stand by my information as presented as accurate.

It may get to be more of a chicken and egg question.

The added air movement makes it less likely that you will get an infection, but will spread it faster if you have mildew blooming and putting off spores. Hence my admonition to inspect regularly.

I like the robust air movement for other reasons as well. For instance, the air movement not only blows away the moisture molecules clinging to the leaf surfaces from respiration, but the oxygen waste products as well, so that the available CO2 can reach the pores in the leaf surfaces.

It also flexes and works the stalk and branches, which encourages the plant to grow more robust. Or so I understands it.

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Powdery mildew is a systemic disease caused by two diiferent kinds of fungi, which can be differentiate only in labs. It arises in temperate climates when weather becomes drier during season.
Fungi infect the plants early in the season, usually spring. Their spores are worldwide spread and they're everywhere hiding in plants debris. But the disease becomes evident when some white dots appear on the upper side of the leaves Late in the season. Disease increase when rainfall decrease. Low light intensity also helps the fungus to survive (UV rays kill moulds). Poor air circulation increase symptoms. A slight breeze can help anyway to spread spores to secondary infection sites. Avoid overcrowding. Also an excess N can speed up the process.
Simply water washes away spores and fungi, but the addiction of HCO3- (baking soda) will clean and KILL the fungus. (all fungi thrive in acid enviroment, baking soda rises PH and destroys fungi...)
Genetic resistance is an other important issue.
I found that H2O2 helps to clean final product before hash making, but is a bit uneffective on plants. Go for HCO3-. Pure organic and simple. Act early on leaves, better than buds.
I've been growning among hops. PM infects preferably hops, but spreads very fast.
I read also that bacillus subtilis has property to prevent PM, but I need some more infos on this.
Hope this helped
Dr. Penthotal

S

SeaMaiden

nothing is worse for buds than PM pretty much. mites do less damage. bad pm eats off much of the crystal off of your plant, it seems to dissolve or something. badly PM-d buds have way less crystal on them than untouched ones. it starts with the leaves, and works its way to everything eventually. if one has it bad, the only strategy is early harvest, to salvage much at all.
I've never had PM progress on bud material to that point, for which I'm glad. I have seen what caterpillars and their frass do to perfectly good buds, so the dip in OxiDate (what I prefer, and I don't rinse with water because the product will reduce to that anyway), which has managed to be a one off for me, was to treat what I saw on fans and sugar leaves. It did nothing for that which was damaged by the 'pillars and poop combination, that bud gets tossed in the fireplace, I make no attempt to salvage that because I don't think I know enough to do it safely.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
It may get to be more of a chicken and egg question.

The added air movement makes it less likely that you will get an infection, but will spread it faster if you have mildew blooming and putting off spores. Hence my admonition to inspect regularly.

I like the robust air movement for other reasons as well. For instance, the air movement not only blows away the moisture molecules clinging to the leaf surfaces from respiration, but the oxygen waste products as well, so that the available CO2 can reach the pores in the leaf surfaces.

It also flexes and works the stalk and branches, which encourages the plant to grow more robust. Or so I understands it.

i have the feeling that too vigorous the air movement, it may impede transpiration etc on the leaf surface. the turbulence is not neccesarily advantageous to good health. an unrelated but similar example is how it is said an athlete will gain the most oxygen from their breath if they pause for a moment on full inhale, rather than inhaling and exhaling more breaths per minute. like i said not the same thing, but it does cause one to ponder maybe.

as for weak stems, it is true if they are in a totally still environment certains strains in particular are more bendy. i dont believe it effects bud weight much though. the main trunk will get as big as the food and energy you give it allows.

Latest posts

Latest posts